CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default need some quick info on an old fiberglass tank

recently a friend of mine gave me use of an old fiberglass tank. He told me I could do whatever with it so decided to paint it. In the process of sanding i found the bottom to be clear with a sticker that says The Fiberglass Works Santa Cruz CA 3921 Portola Dr Phone 408-475-3114 and that the tag signifies they're lifetime guarantee. The tag is in the actual fiberglass. I left it that way as I found a cool old paint job under the top one and I liked that I could see the sun through it with the cap off. Well I came home early from work today and was tinkering with the bike and decided to see if the whole tank was clear. I rubbed the paint off and sure as shit it is. Clear fiberglass with a translucent paisley bottom. I was wondering if any of the grey beards out that way remember this company and if you've got any info. Thanks. Irish IMMC

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	59541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	59542 Here are some pics of the bottom of the tank.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't know about that tank but ethanol fuel fucks up fiberglass Norton Commando tanks so I wouldn't run the thing and risk trashing it.

Great vintage collectible though. I've never seen one and suspect that may be the only remaining.

gonzoguilt

That's really rad, I love paisley print. Personally, I'd turn it into some kind of lamp with making the least amount of modifications to it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah I'm going to have to stop running it. I've rocked it for a few months with no issues but I don't want this ethanol to ruin it. I was just looking for some history on the company. I appreciate the advice though.

Get Adobe Flash player

I also found a thread on these on the JJ they're a few out there. I guess they made fenders and body's also.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, not sure I'd put gas in it. You could create a hidden tank maybe and put that one on for show.

Get Adobe Flash player

Seems like a lot of work. I could seal it but that would maybe ruin it also. I'll put it on the wall and destroy a sporty tank lol.

Wolfie

I remember that company from the 70s.....got a pic from the outside (whole thing ?)....I collect shit like that (might make ya an offer).....Im willin to bet its a coffin style ?....
    I still have old bike mags from the 70s, with their adverts....somewhere in a box.....in the dungeon....next to my 60s Playboys, lol....

Makin a lamp is cake too btw.....good idea !.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Try calling the number?

Get Adobe Flash player

wolifie, its a sportster style tank but with two petcock holes and frisco mount. I'll take a picture and put it up. I don't know that I'd put a hole into it to make a lamp. it holds gas and does that job well, i'm just nervous the new gas will eat through it. I do like the idea of the tank itself being translucent. Being able to see the gas in it when the suns shining is a pretty cool idea to me, i just don't want to sand the corners too much and create a leak thats not there now. Are there any clear tank sealers?

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	59640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	59641 Heres the pictures

[IMG][/IMG]
    Check this out, I want one.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get. The. Fuck. Outta here. That tank is rad! I don't know about the chrome piece that looks like a shit kicker toe but the idea is righteous! I wonder how long (under my sort of treatment) that tank would last that clear? Even scratched up and brutal that tank would rock. Thanks man.

I found that picture on a few different sites. can't find out how much or where to buy one. I would buy one.

gonzoguilt

In my mind, I'd construct it so some kind of bulb would enter through the fill hole and the wires would feed out of the petcock bungs. Similar to building a ship in a bottle, I guess. I'm not sure how the fiberglass would take the heat generated from the bulb, although my gf told me there are certain bulbs that do not emit heat.

Get Adobe Flash player

Use an LED lamp instead of an incandescent bulb to reduce heat.

gonzoguilt

I'm glad someone is as enthusiastic as I am on the lamp idea.

Get Adobe Flash player

S did you try the phone number? I know guys who've had the same number for years. Maybe someone at the other end might be or know the deal.
    A while ago I did some digging and seems that 'tank sealer' is simply epoxy resin like they use in boat building. They put some titanium dioxide powder in it to make it so when you look into the tank you don't see through the clear epoxy to be scared the tank is still rusty looking/fucked. Don't get confused that fiberglass resin like guys use to fix cars is the same as epoxy resin.

Polyester resin like for cheap car fixes is neither a glue nor is it waterproof. Epoxy resin on the other hand is both waterproof and a glue. It's a lot more $ and that's why. Go to a marine supply store and ask for epoxy resin. They'll take the time to explain it to you. Oh and epoxy takes a while to cure so you don't have to rush the job. BUT you have to spend a bit of time mixing the hardener in to ensure it kicks.

My guess is your old tank there is epoxy or epoxy lined since that's what has been used for many years to repair all kinds of tanks.....metal and fiberglass.

I doubt ethanol would fuck it up.
    Last edited by cisco; 05-01-2015 at 9:34 PM.

Share This