X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VanBreezy
    • Jul 2014

Dixie Standard Driving Lamp on a '14 883 Iron

Hey everyone,

So my wife picked up this Dixie Standard driving lamp at a swap meet here in PDX a couple weeks ago. I have a rudimentary knowledge of electrical shit and figured it wouldn't be too hard to wire this up to her bike, however when I pulled the stock headlight and tried to test the connection I didn't get anything from any of the wires. The filament in the bulb is intact as well, so I know that's not the issue.

I figured it might be due to there only being a single wire, but again, I'm no electrician so I don't know if that means shit. Anywho, a more knowledgeable opinion than mine would be greatly appreciated. She's in love with the rectangle headlight look and it'd be rad to get this to work for her. Thanks!

Here's the headlamp:

• mattressking
    • Jan 2015

Pretty simple to wire it up. First you need to determine which is power/ground on the new lamp. Once you have them marked you need to go into the bike and sort out the wiring.

Since the lamp you have doesn't have a high beam, you need to disregard the highbeam wire off your harness.

Yellow wire = low beam

White = high beam

Black = ground

Connect ground to ground, and low beam to your power wire on new lamp. Your high beam will no longer work, but the lamp will illuminate as it should this route.

Comment

• KeysRyder
      • Oct 2014

Put 12v dc to the wire, and ground the housing, should work. Obviously he didn't read your post about the one wire. You could use a large lug terminal under your mount post as the ground and run a wire from it to the ground wire of your oem harness. Many different ways, what ever works for you.

Re read mine, and not sure if you are clear not being eltro savy. Quick check put the mount post of the new light on the neg post of your battery, and put the black wire of your new light on the pos side of battery (red) and light should come on. If it does, wire your black lead from your new light to one of the colored wires on your OEM connector. And run a wire from your black wire on the OEM plug to your light housing ( like I said a large ring type terminal on your mount post should work good)
      Last edited by KeysRyder; 04-23-2015, 2:13 PM.

Comment

• VanBreezy
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by KeysRyder
        Put 12v dc to the wire, and ground the housing, should work. Obviously he didn't read your post about the one wire. You could use a large lug terminal under your mount post as the ground and run a wire from it to the ground wire of your oem harness. Many different ways, what ever works for you.

Re read mine, and not sure if you are clear not being eltro savy. Quick check put the mount post of the new light on the neg post of your battery, and put the black wire of your new light on the pos side of battery (red) and light should come on. If it does, wire your black lead from your new light to one of the colored wires on your OEM connector. And run a wire from your black wire on the OEM plug to your light housing ( like I said a large ring type terminal on your mount post should work good)
        Thanks man, I'll try that out. I figured it had something to do with grounding the circuit as I hooked up an old Aris Triangle light on my 2010 Sportster just fine, however it had two wires (one running to the bulb and the other running from the actual light housing for ground).

Comment

• mattressking
          • Jan 2015

Whoops, totally missed the one wire part. KeysRyder nailed it.

Comment

• VanBreezy
            • Jul 2014

Just figured I'd update the thread for posterity's sake. Got the headlight mounted up just fine and works like a charm, thanks again KeysRyder for the help.

Comment

• KeysRyder
              • Oct 2014

NP putting one just like it on my build, mine is a KD but looks same.

Comment

• pedrodeleon
                • Feb 2012

Hey man, I'm the guy you got that light from. Sorry I didn't see this earlier, would have been happy to help. Glad you got it working, looks great!

Comment

• turk33
                  • Jan 2015

I have some turn signal relocaters that move the from your bars to your lower tree. came off my 10' iron. Idk if you wanna relocate yours but itd clean your bars up, you can have em for free if you pay the shipping

Comment

• Saltytonk
                    • Mar 2011

Looks nice Man!

Comment

• VanBreezy
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by pedrodeleon
                      Hey man, I'm the guy you got that light from. Sorry I didn't see this earlier, would have been happy to help. Glad you got it working, looks great!
                      Thanks dude, the wife is stoked on it!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;