Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikewerx
    • Aug 2013

45" springer with 7/8" stem to a paughco pan frame - bearing conversion

Does anyone have a good direct link to some kind of adapter kit so I can run a 7/8" springer stem into my frame that would normally run 1" stems? I know ball bearings seem to be the preferred method, but all I can find if for sporty frames... but this is a pan frame. Anything? Thanks
  • mreed
    • Dec 2010

You can get Timken bearings. I just did this last night. 15/16 for the lower & 7/8 for the upper. I didn't have a crown nut but the stock one is too long anyway. I had two Colony 7/8-24 acorn nuts & turned one down for the crown.

This is with a neck installed. The only difference between this neck & yours might be the height...but not by much. It looks weird because I started making the top clamp too. You can use the stock top clamp.

Comment

• mikewerx
      • Aug 2013

Cool, but I still need different neck cups, right? How could I run a 7/8" stem inside a bigger neck? thanks

Comment

• mreed
        • Dec 2010

The o.d. & taper of the bearings are the same as the 1" bearings so you can use the cups & races you already have. If no-one chimes in with the bearing part number by the time I get back to the shop I'll let you know.

Comment

• mikewerx
          • Aug 2013

Thank...maybe I'm over thinking this... Also, some folks said timken bearings are not the best to use with springers? why not? I run these on other bikes with springers...?

Comment

• mreed
            • Dec 2010

Someone's preference is mainly based on what they are used to...but Timken bearings are easy to maintain and very predictable.

Here are the bearings that fit 1" neck cups. You need one 15/16 for the bottom & one 7/8 for the top

[/URL]

Comment

• mikewerx
              • Aug 2013

Hell yeah, thanks a ton man! you're the boss

Comment

• ncmc47
                • Oct 2012

Do these fit the 49-59 race?

Comment

• mreed
                  • Dec 2010

It depends on what cups you have. These bearings will work in the later model years but the earlier model year races are too small.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;