Slightly different take on a build thread...

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aurbanphoto
    • May 2014

and now, on to building the bike...

the dude i got this from was planing on building himself something, but decided to ditch it and work on an hd platform instead... perfect, cause this was exactly what i was looking for. he had started to cut out the neck gusset, and clean up the top of the trees but still left me with some work to do on it.

dude had also shaved the forks... not quite what i wanted, as i wanted to keep at least one brake up front and maybe run a front fender.

stock tail section, yea, thats going in the junk pile too...

i cut that bitch in half and tacked on a david bird looped hardtail from lowbrow, 2" stretch & 2" drop. i also tossed on some euro bars i had lying around.

i couldn't bear to look at those mags any more and knew from the start that if this bitch was gonna wear shoes, she sure as shit was gonna have some shiny laces. i scored front and rear spoke wheels off of ebay, cleaned the hubs up and ditched the old spokes and rims. i purchased new rims and stainless spokes, 19" front and 18" rear. painted the hubs and the inner portion of the rims with a satin black urethane, leaving the shoulder of the rim polished aluminum. i laced the rims up myself (took me a couple tries), and took em to a local shop for tires and to have them balanced and trued. the whole wheel swap process cost me a couple more pennies than i was planning on, but whatever... super happy with how it was looking at that point. i also ditched the shaved forks and swapped em out with a stock set off of ebay. i shaved the brake mounts off the left fork leaving brake mounts on the right as well as the fender mounts on both sides.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
      • Oct 2014

Best thread going right now, love the number and quality of pictures. Keep it up man!

Comment

• billyolds
        • Nov 2011

good stuff man!

Comment

• aurbanphoto
          • May 2014

Thanx for the kind words gentlemen

Comment

• loddytoddy
            • Jul 2014

love this thread.. nice photos and nice rebuild.. this should be made into a coffee table book.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
              • May 2014

Originally posted by loddytoddy
              love this thread.. nice photos and nice rebuild.. this should be made into a coffee table book.
              thanx man, thats the plan... hopefully, if i get my shit together.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                • May 2014

so next at bat was a seat, grabbed a biltwell seat and weld on mounts from lowbrow. i had originally planned on running the bee hive style springs, but after mocking everything up, that just was not going to work with this frame and seat. grabbed some la rosa 3" hairpins and put it together. i eventually cut the posts off of the mounts and drilled and tapped to hold the bottom of the springs down with a screw and finishing washers.

after that... mounted the tank. now i knew i wanted a mid tunnel wassell style tank but just couldn't get down with the tc bros one. two 1/4" petcock bungs and one 3/8" petcock bung? what the shit is that? so i'll use the two 1/4" petcock bungs and the other just gets plugged and sticks out of the tank like a useless turd... i would not be able to live with that, for some reason the thought of it irritated the shit out of me. so, found that throttle addiction stocks a mid tunnel wassell that has only two 1/4" petcock bungs, score!!!

i also added the monstercraftman bracket for mids, and found folding clevis and some brit style pegs. i'll have some closer pics of the pegs later down the road. oh and I welded one of Hugh's lil goose neck gussets in there too.
                Last edited by aurbanphoto; 02-10-2015, 5:18 PM.

Comment

• Wolfie
                  • Apr 2024

VERY fuckin cool brother !!!!...glad ya went to spokes !!!!...check out the Yammy chop build for the Strangedays giveaway at either http://strangedays.blogspot.com and http://captcals.blogspot.com/

...might give ya some ideas/help....and Cal and his dad are REALLY cool dudes....Retrofit rocks !

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by Wolfie
                    VERY fuckin cool brother !!!!...glad ya went to spokes !!!!...check out the Yammy chop build for the Strangedays giveaway at either http://strangedays.blogspot.com and http://captcals.blogspot.com/

...might give ya some ideas/help....and Cal and his dad are REALLY cool dudes....Retrofit rocks !
                    Thanx dude. I'll take a look

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                      • May 2014

Oh yea, so I guess I'll note that I live in south Florida... where rust can be an absolute nightmare! Now while I had the luxury of rebuilding the engine in my home... that was not the case for the rest of the bike. The rest of the bike was built outside in my back yard, spraying some things with epoxy primer when appropriate, or in the case of the frame... rattle can primer as the bike progressed, sanding where needed prior to welding and rattle can over after. That is until all welding to the frame is done and can be sanded back down again for a proper epoxy primer / urethane top coat. Needless to say, there was a lot of sanding involved... probably one of my least favorite things to do!

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                        • May 2014

from there, the engine went back in... i also tossed on some pipes. the ones that came with, were cut off at the muffler and were super pitted beyond belief, so i grabbed a cheep find from ebay. looks like somebody did a lil slash cut job on some mufflers, whatever, works for now and i kinda dig that they look a lil nasty. i plan on wrapping the headers and shining up rest anyway. and they hide the david bird hardtail triangle gussets a lil, not that they bother me.

swapped the old risers out for some fancy biltwell ones, and tossed my euro bars back on.

went the hughs headlight bracket as well... though at the time of this pic, no headlight to mount.

Comment

• Wolfie
                          • Apr 2024

Oh yea, so I guess I'll note that I live in south Florida...
                          I got a lotta brothers down yer way man....I plan on makin a Key west trip this year....never been to FLA....

Comment

• isabucket
                            • Nov 2013

Hotness, total hotness

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                              • May 2014

Originally posted by Wolfie
                              I got a lotta brothers down yer way man....I plan on makin a Key west trip this year....never been to FLA....
                              Go for it man! It's got it's pros and cons down here, but all in all, it's pretty hard to not have a good time down this way.

Comment

• aurbanphoto
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by isabucket
                                Hotness, total hotness
                                Thanx man, that's what I was going for

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;