Views:	1
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	1336820Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	1336821

Hey,

My name is Mike and I live in Maple Ridge BC Canada.

My Dad surprised me a couple weeks back and gave me his first bike, a 1967 Triumph Trophy TR6R. I have been slowly stripping it down to see what needs to be replaced. Not sure yet what the end product will look like but I am stoked to get my hands on it. Originally he wanted to do a full restoration but as he gets on in years his time is limited. If it didn't have so much history behind it I would chop it up and make it my own.

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Triumph Trophy TR6R.jpg
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	1336817Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Triumph Trophy TR6R Drive Side.JPG
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1336818Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Triumph Trophy TR6R Suspention 1.JPG
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1336819
    Last edited by GiantMcGoo; 12-16-2014, 11:38 PM.
  • Torch
    • Jul 2009

Welcome Mike,
    that's a great gift from your Dad, It's almost too nice to chop, but it's your bike,

what about doing a flat track or cafe style bike ?

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
      • Mar 2014

Thought about doing it cafe style also, I think the wife has her eye on it already, she hinted that I should fix it up and let her ride it and that she would help me buy my dream bike. I told her that's cool but when I dream about a dream bike it's dream bikes and there are more than just a couple.

Comment

• TroyFab
        • Aug 2009

Nice, whatever you do keep it forever. Or hand it down to your son if you have one. Keep it in the family .

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by TroyFab
          Nice, whatever you do keep it forever. Or hand it down to your son if you have one. Keep it in the family .
          Either way it goes to this guy

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	1277929

Comment

• davidabl
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by GiantMcGoo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54538[/ATTACH]
            So you're gonna keep all the take-off parts, right?

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
              • Mar 2014

Anything that comes off stays in a box and goes with the bike to the kid

Comment

• TroyFab
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by GiantMcGoo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54538[/ATTACH]
                Nice!

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
                  • Mar 2014

Was doing some poking around on the engine and needed to get the bike up closer to my level.

Name:	photo 1-2.jpg
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	1277957Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2-2.jpg
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	1277958Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4-3.jpg
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	1277959
                  Last edited by GiantMcGoo; 12-20-2014, 9:32 PM.

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
                    • Mar 2014

So my wife is the best, for Christmas I got a denim Eat Dust vest, a Triumph 650 and 750 Haynes Repair Manual covering 650cc and 750cc 2-valve Unit Twins 1963 to 1983, a British Triumph restoration guide, the history of Triumph pocket edition, and a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics. I must have done something right this year!

Comment

• zarco
                      • Mar 2014

There are plenty of miss matched, hacked bikes to chop. Keep this pretty close to stock and you will be happier in the end. Don't be afraid to change things like the electrics and paint, just don't cut it up. A later twin shoe front brake stops a lot better and is a worthwhile change too. Things that make it start and stop better and can be changed back if someone wants "correct" down the line.

Comment

• Speciman
                        • Nov 2012

Hello Mike, Im Rob and welcome to the Cult. I got my first bike well over 30 years ago and never got rid of it. A 1970 Bonneville. Oh it has changed over the years, sat in storage for about 20 years while I worked in Manhatten and then ran through a couple of sportsters. But I kept it and pulled it out last year and started giving it another change over from a cafe style to hard tail. Fortunately for Triumph's you can get a bolt on hard tail so to appease myself during this change I kept the swing arm section. Never through out the swing arm and you have options. Like Zarco said, just don't cut it up. That is the way I look at it too. You have to put your spin on it like your father did and your son will also. You have a cute little boy, by the way. I am sure he will want to be just like his father and want that bike. As long as you enjoy it, you can't loose. And god bless your wife. The only thing my ex use to say was equivalent to "you'll shoot your eye out" like the poor kid who wanted a BB gun in the Christmas story movie. You wouldn't want to hear what she really said, that is why she is my ex.

Hey Zarco, what year did they start putting twin shoes on Triumph's?
                        Last edited by Speciman; 01-01-2015, 5:43 AM. Reason: Sorry, I can't spell

Comment

• Torch
                          • Jul 2009

Rob:

the 3 year only TLS front brake first showed up on the 68 model that design was modified a bit for 69 and stayed the same for 1970.

that whole TLS brake assembly will fit into the earlier full width brake drums even though the front triple trees were a 1/4" wider on the 68 and later bikes.
                          Last edited by Torch; 01-01-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Speciman
                            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Torch
                            Rob:

the 3 year only TLS front brake first showed up on the 68 model that design was modified a bit for 69 and stayed the same for 1970.

that whole TLS brake assembly will fit into the earlier full width brake drums even though the front triple trees were a 1/4" wider on the 68 and later bikes.
                            When I got the bike it came with the Cerani front fork and a 74 Honda SL125 front hub. I have since traded up on the fork to a newer Ceriani type fork and the front axel is much thicker. So, I have to find another front rim and I thought I would go with the Triumph TSL rim. The fork upgrade caused me to go from a 12mm axel to a 15mm one. I don't know the size of a stock axel because I never had one but I did inquire about a few stock hubs on ebay and the sizes were 17mm which will present some fitment issues for me. I do like the mini hub but I like stopping better.
                            Last edited by Speciman; 01-04-2015, 3:25 PM.

Comment

• GiantMcGoo
                              • Mar 2014

Hey Rob, thanks for the tips. Didn't get much done over the Christmas break as I was back to work for my 2 week school break. Got a bit of work done last night on the front end, I had a buddy come over and hold flashlights and pass me tools and keep me motivated in a cold dark garage. Finally got the front end off to work on it independently looks like there is quite a bit of rust on both tubes and I'm not sure if I will have to replace them, the springs also got it pretty bad, is there a way to test to see if the rust penetration is too deep and compromises the structural integrity of these components?

Also hope everyone had a great holiday and Happy New Year!

I will post more pictures later tonight if I get a chance

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;