CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Polyurethane VS Solid Riser Bushings...Opinions??

For guys running solid and poly riser bushings, any preference?

I need to order new bushings for my '71 as I cant stand the rubber slop with apes. Do the poly ones feel close to the solids with a little vibration dampening or should I just go full solid and not worry about it?

xllance

Quote Originally Posted by bparsel View Post
    For guys running solid and poly riser bushings, any preference?

I need to order new bushings for my '71 as I cant stand the rubber slop with apes. Do the poly ones feel close to the solids with a little vibration dampening or should I just go full solid and not worry about it?
    I like solids. There are dozens of ways to dampen the bars if they vibe too much. Contact Saltytonk or check Loud-n- Greasy Customs on chop market if you decide to go solid.

Get Adobe Flash player

I like solid and have run 14" apes w. 2" risers that way for decades because I prefer the tighter feel. I used heavy flat washers before I got metal riser bushings.

I swat a lead fishing sinker into each bar end with a hammer to dampen vibes, an ancient trick.

After I bought apes with welded risers (from Front Street Cycle, so nice I bought one for each bike and a spare) I'm much happier than when I had to periodically fuck with tightening riser clamps. I will never go back to separate risers again.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xllance View Post
    I like solids. There are dozens of ways to dampen the bars if they vibe too much. Contact Saltytonk or check Loud-n- Greasy Customs on chop market if you decide to go solid.
    Just PM'ed Soltytonk on the fitment of their bushings. Thanks for the heads up on him.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I like solid and have run 14" apes w. 2" risers that way for decades because I prefer the tighter feel. I used heavy flat washers before I got metal riser bushings.

I swat a lead fishing sinker into each bar end with a hammer to dampen vibes, an ancient trick.

After I bought apes with welded risers (from Front Street Cycle, so nice I bought one for each bike and a spare) I'm much happier than when I had to periodically fuck with tightening riser clamps. I will never go back to separate risers again.

Good trick on the sinker. I just bought new bars so I'll be sticking with risers for awhile until I upgrade again to some Zombie performance riserless apes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man! and yeah Zombie riserless apes are nice. I've had a number of Zombie bars pass thru my hands either for customers bikes or my own bikes, and the quality is top notch.

Get Adobe Flash player

I also have one set of FSS stainless bars which I tack welded (one tack per riser on the inside) to stainless risers. If I ever bend the bars I'll just unbolt the riser caps the twist off be riser bottoms to break the tack welds.

I hate bar rotation.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post

I hate bar rotation.

As do I. My riser bushings should be here today from Saltytonk. I plan to install those and drill through the top riser clamp into the bars. Tap the bars and then countersink a bolt through the top clamp to act as a set screw. I dont weld, so this should work to keep everything firmly in place.

xllance

Quote Originally Posted by bparsel View Post
    As do I. My riser bushings should be here today from Saltytonk. I plan to install those and drill through the top riser clamp into the bars. Tap the bars and then countersink a bolt through the top clamp to act as a set screw. I dont weld, so this should work to keep everything firmly in place.
    Careful doing that. You might end up with a cracked riser clamp.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bar leverage is considerable. I tried that once long ago and the screw worked loose, plus a hole in your bars is a stress raiser. I'd hate to have half a bar in each hand one day...

Share This