Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Westboundbiker
    • Oct 2014

@ chetmotox- On the rectifier being picky about coil order, why do you say that? Shouldn't each just output an AC sine wave, and with it just being a bunch of diodes inside, it shouldn't matter which one goes where, right?

Also, where the hell does everyone find all the right connectors for this stuff? I don't want to just use a bunch of butt splices and spades...
    Last edited by Westboundbiker; 12-16-2014, 3:45 PM.

Comment

• chetmotox
      • Jul 2014

Maybe I misunderstood the question, I was thinking he meant wire order on the coil itself. Meaning the incoming power wire vs. wire to the points. I don't think the order of wires from rectifier to coils does matter.

As far as connectors goes, I actually have change connectors over to more common ones I can get from work fairly cheap. I work at an ag equipment dealership and so I use them for connectors because they are waterproof and I get them at cost. Maybe check your local bike shop.

Comment

• johnquincy
        • Nov 2014

@westboundbiker thanks for clarifying on the coil connections! im only able to really work on it on the weekends.. my job isnt very time friendly. im also in the middle of it so let me know if you figure out any tricks or anything. ive just been using those button connectors that push into each other so i can easily disconnect em if i need to change anything. heres a website that you can get most of the connectors from the 70's/80's www.vintageconnections.com but im not gonna spend the money...

http://www.xs650chopper.com/wp-conte...ingdiagram.jpg <- this is really nice. is this the same idea i can use even though i have 4 spark plugs? each of my coils has a red/white and then one has an orange and one a grey. im thinking that the red/whites tie together then go to the ignition switch? and the orange or grey go to the orange or grey from the stator?

another question. on the stock wiring harness, there is an ignition box/module/thing. do i have to have one of these? why are there so many wires?

thanks!

Comment

• johnquincy
          • Nov 2014

On the ignition module there is an orange wire, grey wire, red/white wire, black/white wire, and a black wire.. My guess is the orange and grey go to the coils on one side then the points/magneto on the other end? Same-ish with the red/white? The black is the ground? And I'm clueless about the black/white one..

Thanks for any help!

Comment

• johnquincy
            • Nov 2014

sooooo.. scratch all that rewiring shit i had in mind. its too crazy on this bike because of the charging system and the ignition system. i just dont know enough about how all that works to be tearin it apart. so i stuck my harness back in but want to do away with all the handlebar controls and the speedo/tach/key/indicators because they loook like hell on there with these apes. im thinking i can just do away with most of what i dont want and just make the connections that it needs to run (on.off switch/start button) and rig in my own key that will be relocated to the right side of the bike with a push button start. all the fuses and shit that were under the indicator lights can go in a fork bag that im gonna try to make to keep them hidden but still functional. ill let ya know how it works out!

Comment

• vr6freak
              • Dec 2010

A builder in My area a few years back was riding with no rear fender and hit a bump that tossed him off and into the tire/frame. . . ripped his guts through his ass hole and he ended up dying. . True story. . Run a fender even if its a small one.

Comment

• johnquincy
                • Nov 2014

Its warm again here in Boone, NC! Woohoo!

I cleaned the rust out of the gas tank and put a new battery in it, cleaned the carbs and hooked up tail/head lights and rest of wiring.

Now it turns over, has good compression, but wont hit. I pulled the plugs and none of them are sparking. Is there something I'm forgetting to do? The plugs are only 6 months old. Im thinking its between the plug wires and the ignition coils now. Anybody got a handy way to check these things?

Thanks for everything!

Comment

• Tiny31173
                  • Apr 2016

Hey bro, i have a 85 maxim, I've tried to fight with the chopper wiring 4 times, never could i get it to run right, so after everytime i fried the harness, for various fast electrical fixes, i Will be using a stock harness and find a way to hide it.

Comment

• Matilda
                    • Jul 2016

nice! i am building the same bike for a friend right now. different direction than yours but i cant wait to see how yours turns out. as far as connectors for the wiring, go to any john deere dealer or look online for deutch connectors. they come in all shapes and sizes. you will need the male and female pins as well as the rubbers and inserts that hold the pins in place. you will also need the correct crimper. they sell cheap sets or you can get very nice ones. HD also uses these on newer bikes. i use them everyday in the ag business and they are great and water tight

Comment

• Reflexion
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by vr6freak
                      A builder in My area a few years back was riding with no rear fender and hit a bump that tossed him off and into the tire/frame. . . ripped his guts through his ass hole and he ended up dying. . True story. . Run a fender even if its a small one.

Fenders are for pussies.

Comment

• Townson
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Reflexion
                        Fenders are for pussies.
                        You might just have a pussy when you get jammed in between the tire and the frame big guy.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;