CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    jaredshaunsmith

Default 1960 ironhead build

Yo!
    Posted in the intro thread as well... but...
    30 year old software engineer here - grew up in Tallahassee, Florida but for the past few years have lived in and around San Francisco - now we live in El Cerrito.

I'm not new to motorycles but took a break from them for a while and now I'm getting back into it. I recently finished building up a basket case 1972 Yamaha R5 ( twostrokeworld forum thread here: (http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/in...3360#msg183360 ) - that build set me off to really want to build something I could ride longer distances, plus the chopper bug bit me really hard.

A few weeks ago, the day before my 30th birthday I found a 1960 ironhead hard tail in Arizona for a steal of a price. I talked to the guy on the phone a couple times, convinced the wife it was a good (no.. GREAT) idea and then I jumped in the truck and drove 11 hours, grabbed a hotel, woke up and bought the bike - loaded it in my truck, and then drove 11 hours back home. Made it home to see the wife and kids with 3 minutes left of my birthday before midnight.

This is how it looked when I picked it up:

The guy I bought it from knew very little about it and had let it sit in his garage for 20 years. The day after I got it home I replaced the plugs, filled a funnel up with gas and connected it to the carb... and guess what?!?! It started on the second kick. I was amazed.

My plan is full rebuild from the frame up. As such, I've stripped it down all the way already, had the frame sand-blasted, started body work on the frame, polished tons of parts, ordered tons of parts, and started to fabricate some parts.

More photos of my current progress in the next post!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8781.JPG   IMG_8789-1.jpg   IMG_8790.jpg  
    Last edited by jaredshaunsmith; 11-23-2014 at 10:42 PM.

jaredshaunsmith

Started polishing up the back brake drum:  

Before and after cleaned up neck cups:  

Engine removed, and frame in the background stipped before going to the sand blaster:  

Some body work done so far cleaning up old welds:  

Cleaned up petcock:  

Start of a highway peg mount I'm fabricating from 1/4" steel plate - I don't have a bandsaw (yet) so this was all cut with dremel cutoff wheels (like 30 of them) and then rounded out and polished on the belt sander:  

Shaved 1/16th" shorter, removed all chrome, and polished the hell out of the top triple tree - I'm debating whether I'm keeping them or going to get some Mullins trees - just not sure I want to spend that cash yet, but damn if Mullins trees don't look the baddest:  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullSizeRender-1.jpg   IMG_8892.jpg   IMG_8877.jpg   IMG_8906.jpg   IMG_8905.jpg  

Last edited by jaredshaunsmith; 11-23-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Great bones to work with, whatever you do don't let any slickster con you out of that oil tank. Might as well be dipped in gold and filled with dope!

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool bike....looked good as it sat. Looking forward to the build.

I did the same with my Chevelle....I got home from work on a Friday, called the guy and agreed on a price. Turned to my wife and said "I'm going to Ohio" (12hrs away). She was like "just be home by Sunday"....it was my sons 1st b-day on Sunday. Left around 2am, got to Ohio about 12hrs later. Then we turned around and went home. Was home in plenty for the party on Sunday. Did it with my super glide too....but that was only 4 hrs away....LOL!

jaredshaunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by crush1776 View Post
    Great bones to work with, whatever you do don't let any slickster con you out of that oil tank. Might as well be dipped in gold and filled with dope!
    I was planning to keep the oil tank on the final build - what's so special about it?

Quote Originally Posted by FooDog View Post
    Cool bike....looked good as it sat. Looking forward to the build.

I did the same with my Chevelle....I got home from work on a Friday, called the guy and agreed on a price. Turned to my wife and said "I'm going to Ohio" (12hrs away). She was like "just be home by Sunday"....it was my sons 1st b-day on Sunday. Left around 2am, got to Ohio about 12hrs later. Then we turned around and went home. Was home in plenty for the party on Sunday. Did it with my super glide too....but that was only 4 hrs away....LOL!
    right on. i've done the long-drive-craigslist-pickup several times now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jaredshaunsmith View Post

What's so special about it?
    A good one without dents is rare as Hen's teeth.... (Chrome-able)

Only the Ch's ran that tank.... Think it was 1963 that was the last year that Harley used it....

What you have is the Crown Jewel of the Old 900cc Sportster's
    The first run of the CH's .....

Here is a 61 CH that I did a chop job on a few years ago...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1961_XLCH.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	53835

Got a little nuts with it...
    120 Spoke on the front and 80 on the rear. (Drilled 40 more holes into the OEM hub.)
    Cut down the OEM shocks, 3 degree rake fork cups (Timkens), Repop 4" over 45 Springer, K-Model tail light.... ect...

The 58 to 63 CH was/is Kick-Ass....
    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-21-2014 at 11:40 AM.

jaredshaunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    The 58 to 63 CH was/is Kick-Ass....
    awesome! your '61 looks great. i'm not planning to change too much from what the original state of mine was, just rebuild the right way and ride the hell out of it. would really like to have it done by june to ride down to born free.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm sure you will be more than Happy once it's back together....

I see one little problem that may not be a big concern...
    Your rear brake lever has been flipped .... That makes the cam work on the highs of the ramps...
    By going up with the lever (Like OEM had it) your cam action is gentle engagement of the shoes to drum...

Guess it's not all that much of a biggie... Just food for thought when your putting it back together...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-21-2014 at 12:14 PM.

jaredshaunsmith

I see one little problem that may not be a big concern...
    Your rear brake lever has been flipped .... Guess it's not all that much of a biggie... Just food for thought when your putting it back together...
    that's a good point. if i have clearance around the frame i should be able to flip it back over the OEM way when i reassemble it.

planning to reassemble completely before i send the frame for powder just to make sure it rides well. some reassembly may happen this weekend if i get my new fork tubes in the mail

Get Adobe Flash player

I may be wrong.... But I do think that the frame is an old D&D (Jammer)

It will work well with the lever going up.... No problems with clearance of the brake rod....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RDBikes003-1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	53836

Here's a photo of a 64 CH that I used a D&D frame....
    All parts fitted up well ....

jaredshaunsmith

Here's a photo of a 64 CH that I used a D&D frame....
    cool! i was wondering what frame it was. did your D&D frame have a square down-tube? this one has a 2" square down-tube.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like you found a good bike. I've been hunting for an Ironhead deal like yours for a while; I'm jealous. Keep us updated on the progress.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool score!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jaredshaunsmith View Post

Did your D&D frame have a square down-tube? this one has a 2" square down-tube.
    No... It was round...

Do think that D&D made some to special order back in the day...

jaredshaunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Motorradfahrer View Post
    Looks like you found a good bike. I've been hunting for an Ironhead deal like yours for a while; I'm jealous. Keep us updated on the progress.
    Thanks. will do!

No... It was round...

Do think that D&D made some to special order back in the day...
    right on. wish i knew some history on the bike / frame. the guy i bought it from said it used to belong to a hell's angels member in arizona but he didn't remember his name... so that doesn't help much.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you slip a few bucks under the table to a clerk down at the DMV, they can run the numbers back to H-D when it sold new...

I might remind you of what curiosity did to the Cat...!!!!
    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-21-2014 at 4:06 PM.

jaredshaunsmith

I might remind you of what curiosity did to the Cat...!!!!
    haha. for sure. I'm planning to just stick with my, "used to be owned by the biggest meanest hells angel ever" fishing story and leave the rest of the rocks unturned

Get Adobe Flash player

Not trying to hijack your thread, but there arent many 60xlch sportsters left.....here is mine. I suggest starting to look for a stock frame, just in case you decide to restore it someday. Great score!!!!! Hang onto it!!!

imageupload

Get Adobe Flash player

One more thing....HD has NO records of our bikes....I called and got nothing, just a "sorry, no records exist"

Share This