CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
    jaredshaunsmith

Default well... shit

well, live and learn i guess. spent the last two days being real pissed at myself. i over-tightened the fitting for the feed oil line and heard a lovely cracking sound, looked down and saw this little crack in the case.

taking the bike back up to santa rosa next week for s&j to grind out the crack and then weld it up. thankfully it hasn't had any oil through it yet so it *should* be an easy enough weld.

jaredshaunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    man this thing is coming out awesome. looks like you're having no troubles with the lathe too
    thanks. i'm getting the lathe figured out slowly but surely... looking forward to trying to thread something on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceJames View Post
    agreed. very nice details.
    thanks.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jaredshaunsmith View Post
    well, live and learn i guess.
    All you can do is move forward. We've all made bonehead mistakes on our bikes. Keep at it; your bike is really coming together great.

jaredshaunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Motorradfahrer View Post
    All you can do is move forward. We've all made bonehead mistakes on our bikes. Keep at it; your bike is really coming together great.
    Thanks. I'm back on the horse! started making some new handlebars last night.

talked to the welder that did the repairs on the rest of the cases and he's going to fix this crack for me next week. weld up the hole completely, re-drill, and re-tap. should be good as new

jaredshaunsmith

got a few odds and ends done tonight. wired up my plug wires, installed my speedo drive cable, and went to install my right angle fittings for my oil filter/cooler... that's when i hit a snag. couldn't thread the right angle swagelock fittings all the way in because after a few rotations they hit the fins on the outer cooler. i just needed one more rotation to snug them down so i went to the trusty dremel with grinding mandrel.

needed to grind down those fins

fitting #1 in

both fittings in and the ground down areas cleaned up and re-polished

jaredshaunsmith

last week i took the bike up to the welder to get the crack welded up from where i overtightened the feed oil fitting... and long story short he can't weld it with the rear cylinder on, and i wasn't about to tear the whole thing apart right after getting it in the frame - so plan for now is jb-weld over the crack (which i already did and seems to be holding really well) and then in a couple months after i finish breaking in the engine and pull it all apart for the frame to be powder coated I'll take the motor to Brandon at Mulllins and we'll do the weld repair for the crack then.

Anyhow... enough back story. Fired her up yesterday for the first heat cycle. Idled for a minute and then shut it off.

A video posted by jared (@jared_smith) on

After a few minutes of letting it cool off i felt the rocker boxes by hand and the front was WAY hotter than the rear. Any ideas what that could be? Should i be worried? Waiting to run the rest of the heat cycles until I get an answer about that. But... nevertheless I'm stoked! She's alive!

jaredshaunsmith

put 25 miles on The Bad Investment (name has been choosen btw) so far since firing her up. running really great. taking it nice and slow on the brand new rebuild.

also been continuing on fabrication....

made this little tripometer knob out of stainless and brass on the lathe - the brass is knurled and then press fit into the stainless:

and, been playing around with how to mount my old panhead (?) style oil filter / cooler - landed on bending up some 1/4" flat bar:

then i trimmed the ends off of the bends and drilled a hole for the mounting bolt to go through - just hugs the down tubes. nice and simple:

realized in my first 5 miles of riding it that the shifter arm was slipping pretty badly when i up-shifted - mine has the smooth rod with no knurl so you can really only get it so tight.
    i drilled and tapped the shifter arm for a 1/4-20 set screw and then dimpled out the rod for it to rest in. no more slipping now.

Last edited by jaredshaunsmith; 04-25-2015 at 11:42 PM.

jaredshaunsmith

been trying to decide for a while what kind of air cleaner to run. seems the options for the mikuni vm38 are SUPER limited as far as off-the-shelf stuff goes. I decided to make something custom for it. grabbed a chunk of 3" aluminum stock today and hit the lathe.

bored out to 2.510 with a 2.350 lip - the vm38 has a 62mm spigot (2.440") so the 2.510 gives it plenty of wiggle room to slide on and off easily until the set screws are tightened:

rounded the face a bit and added a decorative groove - drilled and tapped 3 1/4-20 at 120 offsets:

inner lip:

sanded to 1600 by hand and then polised on the rockwell buffer:

used the grill from an old zimmerman dynamic microphone for the filter. cut down to size, hammered flat, and started to drill it out randomly here:

took a break for a few hours and ate dinner with the family, did some shopping and then came home and finished up the grill... more random holes drilled (digging how it looks like a galaxy) and heated with a torch and hammered repeatedly until i got the look i was after:

Get Adobe Flash player

man this thread has me wanting to strip my bike down and remove the black motor paint and polish every piece.

jaredshaunsmith

thanks guys! been working on little things while still riding it a bit for short distances. got 55 miles on it now.

i don't know how you guys do this no front brake thing... it's scary as shit with only a rear drum. to that end... i ordered a performance machine classic 2 piston a few days ago and started drawing up plans for the custom bracket last night.

will be cutting it out and measuring for new wheel spacers tonight.

choppering around richmond #thebadinvestmentparkedinneatplaces

A photo posted by BLUE JACK Studio (@bluejackstudio) on

Last edited by jaredshaunsmith; 09-03-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jaredshaunsmith View Post

i don't know how you guys do this no front brake thing... it's scary as shit with only a rear drum.
    ^^^ .... Well..... A Man that wants to die an Old Man .... ^^^

Last edited by Dragstews; 05-05-2015 at 10:30 AM.

jaredshaunsmith

i'm still alive! making progress on this guy and nearing the time to send the frame to powder coat. she's all stripped down again right now, and i'm finishing welds. powder coat next week.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10246129_834788799972798_1012307695_n.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

If you wanted to net a little better look on the welds....

Lab metal works really well with powder coat...

jaredshaunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    If you wanted to net a little better look on the welds....

Lab metal works really well with powder coat...
    yeah. was reading about that or jb-weld is what the powder coater recommended. i picked up a tig welder a couple weeks ago and it's way better than my flux core was (duh)... but i'm still getting the hang of. welded those stainless fender mounts with 308 without realizing i should've used 309... ground them back out and started over with 309... always learning stuff the hard way

Share This