Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xllance
    • Apr 2024

^^^Exactly why I removed the drive from the tranny on my 72. The thought of that pencil thin shaft shearing was too much to take.

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by xllance
      ^^^Exactly why I removed the drive from the tranny on my 72. The thought of that pencil thin shaft shearing was too much to take.
      An oz. of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

Click image for larger version

Name:	th_RICH64XLCH002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1277433

BTY.... That weld-in corner was a bit more than a pound....

VT No: 43-0116
      Weld in transmission case corner repair section requires welding and machining for proper installation. It repairs damaged transmission counter shaft crankcase area and will require locating of countershaft bearing hole after welding.
      Needs to be installed by a certified machine shop.
      Fits:
      XL 1957-1983
      UOM: 1 - EA
      Country of Origin: USA
      Last edited by Dragstews; 11-20-2014, 11:03 AM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

That appears to be the classic (not in a good way) Ironhead Money Pit.

The title needs to match the frame. If it at least matches the cases that can be useful for titling a custom build.

Fortunately OP posted here before setting his wallet on fire.

Before spending a dime on parts, OP should inventory and measure what he has so he knows precisely what he'd have to cough up to rebuild the engine.

A simple spreadsheet will help OP itemize major expenses before proceeding. In what condition is the transmission, clutch, etc?

If the engine work really looks like an overwhelming ass pain but may be affordable in money terms, taking parts pics then shipping the engine off to Dragstews can be the smart call assuming OP wants to ride relatively soon.

With the engine hassles out of the way OP could contemplate how he wants to do the rest of the motorcycle.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;