CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Calling all experienced weld on hard tailers!

So I ordered the hard tail, in the video links below, for my current Shovelhead and it seems a little wobbly like its twisted, bent, misaligned, ect... I am an experienced welder and have access to a frame jig but I have never welded on a hard tail before. I usually have them sent out to be hard tailed or use a aftermarket frame but after not being completely satisfied more than once with others work and fighting the DMV for titles on aftermarket frames, I decided to do it myself. I am not interested in throwing anyone under the bus so I am not going to mention any manufactures name. I am just trying to figure out if it is twisted, bent, otherwise fucked, or normal. It wobbles quite a bit while resting on the floor. I do not have enough experience with weld on's to make a call whether or not this normal. I have not tried to mock it up on the jig yet because it's a ways to drive and I want to make sure it's useable before making that drive. I would call the shop that fabricated it but being it is the weekend they are closed and I was going to complete it before they are open for business again on Tuesday. So what say you, who are experienced in the art of hard tailing?

http://youtu.be/yJqEX50vclE
    http://youtu.be/y_-X5vLvh38

Get Adobe Flash player

Something doesn't look right there. Do you have a flat welding table to place it on? Try knocking out the seat perch cross bar and place on the table to see if it still rocks.
    Jigs are for lining things up, not to do full welds in as many would think. I have done every weld on without a jig. But I have never had one rock like that. My guess is one of the rails twisted when they welded in the bottom cross brace/motor mount. So you may need to heat it up with a torch and bend.

Get Adobe Flash player

how sure are you that your floor is level? It sounds like it has stone tile but one cant be too sure. As ember said, take out the middle brace and it may relax, either somebody really didnt fucking care or its some pretty gnarly tolerance stacking in a small package.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey thanks for the reply's. Yes the floor was tile, unfortunately if is level. It rocks on a welding table as well. I think I am just going to give the shop a call on Tuesday and see what they say. Thanks again for the advise.

Get Adobe Flash player

In the second video it almost looks like the bend in the bottom rail is off from the bend on the left rail.

Get Adobe Flash player

No bueno.

That's not even slightly off. That seems to be a big difference. If you keep both of the both rails flush/flat on the ground or table, what are the measurements like from the flat surface to the axle slots. Seems like they would be way, way off.

Get Adobe Flash player

Definitely looks like the left chainstay is bent closer to the dropout than the right, which makes the frame pivot off of different points when rocking it like that.

Share This