CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Spark plug wire: good, bad, ugly.

I have an '87 sportster and the dealer wire set seemed a bit tight for the front cylinder. I though I would get a better fit if I cut my own. Make your own wires were a special order from these guys. I stopped at CAP on the way home and found they had two or three different performance levels of DIY plug wires. I recall either 7000 ohm per foot black core or 500 ohm per foot fancy reactive core wire. Price is fair enough, but before I buy enough for 4 bikes, I though I would ask here. Does it matter and is there a best choice.

I also have pure copper plug wire for certain antique engines. I was told not to even think about using that.

Any reason not to try the low resistance 500 ohm per foot fancy wire? Anything special about the screaming eagle H-D wires?

Appreciate the help.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I always make my own wires that way and have been doing it for decades. I just use whatever wire is handy and have had no problems. I don't even look at the resistance on resistor core wire. Grab cheap set, cut and install, done.

I always run solid wire with points ignitions as it's more durable and doesn't absorb moisture.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Reason they say not to use solid core wire is because of RFI suppression in the resistor wires. Solid core wire does not suppress RFI and can interfere with electronic ignition . It doesn't affect points ignition and as a matter of fact, works much better.

so you just pick up a set of wires from the auto shop and cut to the size you need

Share This