X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yann
    • Sep 2009

Mini drum on DNA springer

DNA springer with mini drum from bitterendchoppers 3/4 axle

Anybody have any ideas of how I can install it?
    heim joints, bushing...

thanks

Yannick
    Attached Files
  • BuddhahoodVato
    • Apr 2010

Hombre, land your set up, make sure the rocker bushings are tight and good..Unfortunately DNA springers aren't the best on the market, but you will get some miles out of her, if you keep it all tight..well once your landed, space coorectly on both sides, helps if your bolts to the rotor are flush..unless you want to find a old mini drum set up, then its all about just the spacing..anchor and roll..PM machine makes a kewl springer set up, costly..landed two in april..Dam I forget the name of the internal mini drums, i have one, minus the innards..shit I have two mini drums, ones off a limey scoot..good luuck, keep me posted hombre..

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
      • Apr 2010

mimi drum

A better pic would help. spaceing is the crux of the task..what kind of mini drum you rolling..............Anything like these mini's..
      Attached Files

Comment

• Yann
        • Sep 2009

It look like the third pics.
        I bought the mini drum to http://www.bitterendchoppers.com/Wheels.html

thanks for your help

Comment

• hanshan29
          • Mar 2024

I have a mini drum on a custom springer on my WLA and I constantly break it. It's spends more time being fixed than being used really. At one point I had the cable snap and wrap around the axle, anoither time it locked up on me on the highway......Bottom line set it up right. Take the time to space it correctly and secure you're cable properly. It'll never be much of a brake, but at least it won't get you hurt. I'd put up pics of my setup, but it's embarrassing how badly brutalized it is at this point.

Comment

• Yann
            • Sep 2009

If I fix the brake section on the rocker it is the good way?
            Last edited by Yann; 05-02-2010, 2:07 PM.

Comment

• Injdog
              • Apr 2010

I'm using the exact same mini drum, but on a Pauchco springer. The fixed end of the brake stop should be on the rear leg. The angle should be determined by travel on your rockers (as not to bind when moved / up & down). My bike is not finished but I plan to use the mini drum just to hold me on hills. Running a foot clutch and hand shifter, plus local law say's I have to have a front brake.
              Hope this is helpfull.

Comment

• Yann
                • Sep 2009

This is the solution

Thanks all
                Attached Files

Comment

• DirtyCurty
                  • Aug 2012

The brake stay bar and the rocker seem to be parallel in this pic. I've heard 2 different opinions. One says they should be parallel to each other. The other says they should be at an angle to each other, so that if lines extended from the rocker and brake stay, they would intersect about 5' in front of the front wheel.

Someone knows the answer to this. HELP!!!

Comment

• mreed
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DirtyCurty
                    The brake stay bar and the rocker seem to be parallel in this pic. I've heard 2 different opinions. One says they should be parallel to each other. The other says they should be at an angle to each other, so that if lines extended from the rocker and brake stay, they would intersect about 5' in front of the front wheel.

Someone knows the answer to this. HELP!!!
                    It's called "instant center". Commonly used when setting up 4-links on auto suspension and is the same theory. You can Google it for lots of info.

Comment

• DirtyCurty
                      • Aug 2012

I'm gonna check that out. THANKS A MILLION MREED!!!

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                        • Apr 2010

Umm

Originally posted by mreed
                        It's called "instant center". Commonly used when setting up 4-links on auto suspension and is the same theory. You can Google it for lots of info.
                        Gotta put that one in the brain bank, my old buddy says it will work that way, or the other, namely because that drum ain't nothing but what we used to call a cheater. won't stop shit, but keep you put when you pull up at a slight knoll.

Comment

• enginesludge
                          • Oct 2014

I am trying to understand why the DNA springers have a reputation bending when installed with disk brakes. Then I read this post! Ah huh! I dont think it is so much weak material as faulty design of the linkage that anchors the caliper.

The proper linkage should complete two parallel lines. The forks are parallel. The rocker parallel to the stay bar.

Here are two pictures, I pull off the web. First is the DNA setup and second is stock heritage springer. The DNA is fine just rolling down the road, but when the pads grip the disk you need the parallel geometry because you loose some of the motion of the caliper. That DNA link should be shorter and attached higher. Just like modern H-D on the heritage.

I guess another thought, since DNA is a Chinese knock off, I would think they would clone the modern H-D design instead of the other guy. Just for style if nothing else.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• bobscogin
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Yann
                            If I fix the brake section on the rocker it is the good way?
                            No. The correct way has been addressed. However, there's one thing you should understand that I haven't seen mentioned. Be aware that the brake plate must be able to "float". In other words, with the wheel assembled, in place, and the axle torqued, the brake plate should be able to rotate freely by hand before you bolt up the anchor strap. If it doesn't, you'll have a dysfunctional mess on your hands.

Bob
                            Last edited by bobscogin; 10-25-2014, 2:59 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...