Slowest bike build ever... XS 400 chop (lots of pics)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MitchMotors
    • Jul 2010

Slowest bike build ever... XS 400 chop (lots of pics)

Since all the pictures in the original thread are gone anyways, I thought I could as well start a new one.
    I started ripping a '79 XS 400 apart in 2010, aiming for a bratstyle-like build but somehow went another route. Since the XS 400 is pretty short, it feels almost like a BMX.
    Since then, I've done a bit every now and then while fixing up a XJ 550 daily rider, setting up an old garage as a new workshop and learning how to do stuff (welding, wiring etc).
    Right now I'm at a point where it start's to look like a motorcycle again.
    Can't hardtail it or alter the frame too much due to german law. Bike has to stay street legal.
    The tank is welded by a friend of mine, I wouldn't be able to do a leak-proof welding seam on a tank.

Last edited by MitchMotors; 10-25-2014, 6:04 AM.
  • Ato
    • Oct 2010

Looks like you got a good start, I like what you did with the sissy bar and rear fender. Are you using that narrow tank because that stock sporty tank really doesn't work with what you have going on.
    Check out this XS650, kind of looks like the route you are going:

Comment

• loddytoddy
      • Jul 2014

that's a cool 650 except for the bars.. they look uncomfortable..

so you can't have a hard tail in germany?

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
        • Jul 2013

Looking good.those 400 motors looj good with the jugs painted black and the fins polished.

Comment

• MitchMotors
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by loddytoddy
          so you can't have a hard tail in germany?
          Well, it is possible to have a hardtailed bike in germany. There are hardtail frames that got approved by the "TÜV" (a technical inspection department) but those frames are really pricey and out of my budget. You can't just go along, order a TC bros kit and start to weld. Wouldn't take too long until you get pulled over and can take the bus to get back home.
          Almost everything you change on your bike has to be TÜV approved either by someone checking the individual thing that is changed or, mostly in case of lights/signals/bars etc, via a mark on the part verifiing that the manufacturer had that item proved. Like DOT parts in the US, I think.
          There are regulations for just about anything. That makes it difficult to build a street legal custombike in germany.

Comment

• kgb
            • Oct 2010

Are you going to put your rear fender more low ?

Comment

• MitchMotors
              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by kgb
              Are you going to put your rear fender more low ?
              no, since the new rear tire will be a bit bigger and I need to leave some clearance for the shocks. Right now I have 4 inches clearance and the shocks have 3 inches of suspension travel. With the stock XS 400 shocks I would have ~2 inches more clearance but I'm using XV 535 shocks to get a better stance.

Comment

• MitchMotors
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Ato
                Are you using that narrow tank because that stock sporty tank really doesn't work with what you have going on.
                Yeah, I'll put on the narrow tank, but still with a low tunnel.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;