CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

it's all good.. You didn't steal it from under me I just saw it and gave it a shot.. I figured it would have gone quickly.

Get Adobe Flash player

Its been a while since I last updated, but I haven't really done a whole lot.

(http://imgur.com/FNqOJKZ)
    I wanted to have a luggage rack, as I know that my buddy who is also building a bobber will want to do some road trips, and I don't want to have to wear a backpack the whole time. But, I also didn't want to have the luggage rack on there all the time. Thus, I used the modularity of the sissy bar design to add in a section that could be easily removed, onto which I could mount the luggage rack.
    This picture also shows the rear turn signals mounted on little tabs on the back of the sissy bar.

(http://imgur.com/3IimND6)
    I also fabbed up a license plate bracket, just a nice simple design with a couple pieces of flat steel, and a 5 dollar trailer light from Fleet Farm.

(http://imgur.com/wQ7xUlx)
    A rear shot, showing how the tail light and turn signals look from behind.

(http://imgur.com/fqCEAuY)
    One of the first things I always add to any bike I buy is a 12v outlet. I still wanted one on this bike, so I could charge my phone on the road. I didn't want to mount it somewhere where it was glaring obvious, and would stick out, so on a whim, I tried shoving it up into the open end of my backbone... and it fit! So I trimmed back some of the housing, and my plan is, after paint, I will epoxy it into place, and seal the hole where the wires come out with some epoxy as well. I'll likely also drill a small drain hole under the outlet, so that any water that does find its way into the tube can still drain out.

(http://i.imgur.com/1Hh9OHv.jpg)
    Another angle of the 12v outlet

(http://imgur.com/ujosg6H)
    How she sits right now. I'm waiting on an electrical box from FiddleFootJones, and DCC to have the brake lever I want back in stock, and order that all in. I also need to order some tracered wire. For those that want a better deal than DCC offers, Waytek wire seems to have pretty good prices, and a huge selection.
    Last edited by Westboundbiker; 01-19-2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: fixed images

Get Adobe Flash player

Anyone else having trouble getting images to appear?

Get Adobe Flash player

yeah they are all missing.. but the link is working.

How'd that box work out for you?

Get Adobe Flash player

It works great! I've got some pics of it installed, I just need my phone to cooperate and actually sync right, and I'll get them posted.

I spent all weekend wiring- Saturday from ~9-9, and Sunday from about ~9-6, and the wiring still isn't done. So many wires...

Get Adobe Flash player

Got it! Here are some pics.

There you can see the box that fiddlefootjones fabbed up, located right in front of the rear tire. I made a little cover for it for the time being, to hide all the mess of wires in it. It holds the keyswitch, starter solinoid, blinker module, and a fuse panel.

Here's a mockup of the exhaust I want to build. This is just cut from the stock exhaust, to build a ghetto-rigged two into one exhaust, and to test out the muffler. It still needs welded together obviously

Here's a front view, and you can see the grips that I ordered from DCC, as well as the headlight that I picked up from a local swap meet. It seems to run pretty hot, which is a little concerning... I also am still waiting on DCC to restock the brake lever assembly I want, the stock one is way to big.

The mess that is the neck end of the wiring harness...

the left side of the bike.

Tonight I'm hoping to get the turn signals and brake light working, and get it running again by the end of the week. Then it's time to tear down and clean and paint everything.

Get Adobe Flash player

SHE LIVES!
    Saturday, some pals and I set to work getting her to run. While the chain tensioner and battery box were just held on by nothing more than vice grips, she ran. First key over, she cranked- which I was so nervous about, I didn't know if I'd done due diligence on my wiring, but that much was good. When she wouldn't start, I checked fuel, and spark, and had both, so I switched the coil wires, and she fired right up! Oddly, even with the less restrictive exhaust and intake, it’s running very rich- I’d think it should be lean. One of my buddies and I each took the bike down the street and back, and found a few performance issues. It isn’t the smoothest riding bike- the rear tire bead is not seated right on the rim. It also has a really weird power issue. It screams at low and high RPMs- wants to rip you right off the seat. But, at middle RPMs, it just loses all power. My best guesses at that issue is carb set up, and I’m hoping to tear into it this weekend, try messing with the idle mixture screw, the needle, try a washer in the exhaust, see where that gets me. If I’m still hitting issues, I’ll order in some jets and try some more. I’m still waiting on my buddies to send me the vids of it running, but man it sounds mean. I still need some exhaust gaskets, as it does have an exhaust leak.
    Goals for this week/weekend:
    Mount chain tensioner
    Determine wire routing plan for blinkers, so they don’t rub on the tire
    Fab a cover for the wiring box
    Modify battery box for easier battery removal
    Attach battery box
    Fix neutral wire connection, so that I can disconnect the main harness from the motor
    Find an m18x1.25 bolt to plug the tach connection on the motor.
    Tune carbs

Once I get all that done, it’s time to tear her back apart and prep for paint/ chrome. I’m thinking charcoal grey frame, hugger orange tank, with charcoal grey striping, and I want to put ‘In Torque We Trust’ on the tank, facing the rider.
    And while I could replace the front brake controls, I’m feeling like that’s something that I can worry about as I go, and replace it when I get to it- same with a shorter throttle cable, clutch cable, brake line mirror, etc. All small parts that shouldn’t impact the painted assembly process.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

You should head over the GS Resources as well as BikeCliffs site. If you have an old GS and aren't digesting the info Cliff has wrangled into one spot on his website, you're gonna have a bad time.

Get Adobe Flash player

https://slwnstdy.exposure.co/hibernation

thought I recognized that bike..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hibernate.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	56393

Get Adobe Flash player

@Pendulum. I've poked around the GS Resources some, but they mostly seem to think that anything but a restomod is sacrilegious. Granted, I'll probably poke around some more. I hadn't seen/heard about bikecliffs' before, I'll have to dig around. Thanks!

@loddytoddy
    Yeah! He was awesome to work with, and I love the pics he took. His pics of your bikes are pretty great too. He has a great eye for contrast and lighting.

Get Adobe Flash player

sean's awesome.. Trying to get him over to my buddy Andy's place in uptown to shoot his garage.. 8 bikes and 5 are all custom built chops.. mine being one of them.. we are doing the exhaust there. small, smokey, full of beer cans and warm enough..

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Westboundbiker View Post
    @Pendulum. I've poked around the GS Resources some, but they mostly seem to think that anything but a restomod is sacrilegious. Granted, I'll probably poke around some more. I hadn't seen/heard about bikecliffs' before, I'll have to dig around. Thanks!
    You're not joking about that lol. It's weird though... I've seen some pretty modified bikes get lots of love over there. I think if it's a show quality build, most of those guys appreciate the work even if it's not their thing. Rat bikes don't get that treatment, though.

I just don't even talk about choppers on that forum. I treat it as a great tech resource with a helpful community, but not somewhere to discuss styling/aesthetics... I'll talk choppers with all you unhelpful, non-technical, crusty rapscallions over here.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey, we aren't all non-technical, I'm an engineer. Not to mention all the kick ass machining so many guys here do. (Damn I need to get a mill...)

I like the community here because it's so much about being hands on and getting dirty, figuring out how to rig it up just to get that first ride on a custom machine, and the work to perfect em. I can respect the retro-mod community, but there's something so much more exhilarating about chopping into something.

I can't comment so much on the crusty rapscallion part though...

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey guys, not a whole lot to update, just some tinkering with the carbs.
    She was running weak around the 1/4 - 1/2 throttle, so I shimmed the needle, and it seems to be doing better. For those curious, I've got a couple test videos, where I ran through the Throttle positions. I still need to upload the test video with the shimmed needle, but when I do, I'll post it here.

Test 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF7Y_RLpyxM

Test 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKB3_4BJ2ew

Test 3:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SYCpJo2qDE

Test 4: now with 100% more needle shims!
    Coming soon!

Also, fuck these MN winters. I want to ride, damit.

Hey, I have a 81 GS 450 that has developed some nasty electrical issues. It runs for 5 -10 mins thens loses sparks. I am getting tired of chasing bad spots in the old harness so I am thinking it is getting chopped this summer. How did you do your wire harness? Do you have a diagram?

Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

I can post what I've got, although it didn't end up exactly like that, for connector reasons. It should be a lot easier to follow than the stock one though, so I'll post it up tonight.

Much appreciated.

Get Adobe Flash player

This is about what I went with. Some changes were made in the heat of the moment, mostly for making it easy to disassemble. If you get it all put together, and she cranks, and you get spark from each plug, swap the plug wires, and try again. There isn't really a good way to check which wires out of the ignitor module operate which cylinder.

Share This