CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Finally ready for me to try and sell it when all of the sudden...

Was jammin' home on the freeway today and then out of no where I get this huge power loss.

fucking pissing me off, so I keep the throttle on and its not really slowing too much so i limp home and make it.

park the bike, and the last couple mins I notice a fucked up smell. I know that smell. I don't like that smell.

Look down and sure e fucking nough, oil puking past the ring in the back all over the exhaust and making a huge mess, on top of blowing the gasket.

I was about to throw it on chopper swapper, just finished painting and fixing it and everything. nothings ever easy for me. it's like where some people get a break, i just get shit broke.

pictures so that you can share in my misery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140928_190039[1].jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	52040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140928_190012[1].jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	52041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140928_190057[1].jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	52042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140928_190103[1].jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	52043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140928_185722[1].jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	52044

Get Adobe Flash player

I have had a couple of flips that I swear knew they were about to go up for sale haha. funny noises and leaks seem to happen the week you get the title

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyoflove View Post
    I have had a couple of flips that I swear knew they were about to go up for sale haha. funny noises and leaks seem to happen the week you get the title
    I ride the bike like 40-45 miles 5 days a week, and around on the off days. the bike has had charging issues (turned out a wire had split on the regulator) but it's been running like a top. fresh oil change not 1000 miles ago. no tickin, clickin, or anything really out of the normal, but I do tend to run kinda hard. i guess (no speedo) my avg speed is around 85 give or take. so maybe I'm just running this old dog too hard and need to give it a lighter touch. either way, looks like I'm in a rut til I can figure it out.

I was going to try and sell the bike for a down payment on a bike at my work, and my FIL was dropping my kids off a few minutes ago and was talking to me about it, he seemed like he wanted to offer to loan me the cash until I can get the bike sold, but held off. who knows, if he does that would be helpful as hell. I can still go to work and get it taken care of in less than a hurry before selling it. otherwise I have to get this figured out between now and the end of thursday, and I have work every day between now and then. so... yeah! pretty fucked. so I'm gonna go smoke a big fat bowl, drink some moonshine. and not think about this shit until tomorrow before I give my self an aneurysm.

Get Adobe Flash player

smoking a bowl always gives me the proper path... it'll work it's self out.. it always does..

Get Adobe Flash player

it's like where some people get a break, i just get shit broke.
    It ain't you, it's just standard old motorcycle behavior. Don't think you got cursed or that this unusual.

If one bowl doesn't do the job, repeat as necessary.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    It ain't you,

If one bowl doesn't do the job, repeat as necessary.
    truer words have never been smoking.. I mean spoken..

Get Adobe Flash player

I know what I am about to say isn't much helping but think of it this way, could have ruined your good reputation if you would have sold it and the customer shortly after would have had the same issues.

xllance

A couple of things here......fresh oil change 1000 miles ago. ......average 85 mph.

Get Adobe Flash player

Murphy hard at work. The upside is if he is giving you grief maybe one of us is catching a break.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xllance View Post
    A couple of things here......fresh oil change 1000 miles ago. ......average 85 mph.
    it was less than 1k. closer to 700 but i didn't think it really mattered since it was less than 1k. it was like 3 weeks ago. are you saying I need to be changing the oil every 3 weeks? that seems absurdly excessive

xllance

Quote Originally Posted by rjwatters38 View Post
    it was less than 1k. closer to 700 but i didn't think it really mattered since it was less than 1k. it was like 3 weeks ago. are you saying I need to be changing the oil every 3 weeks? that seems absurdly excessive
    Do you have a filter ? Mine doesn't and I change mine about every 1500. Its n ironhead man. Averaging 85 (if that's true) is just begging for trouble.

Get Adobe Flash player

got a link to that starter setup? Does it have the push button on the side?

thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xllance View Post
    Do you have a filter ? Mine doesn't and I change mine about every 1500. Its n ironhead man. Averaging 85 (if that's true) is just begging for trouble.
    Looks like it has a filter in the second pic. I wouldn't be changing the oil any sooner myself.

xllance

Quote Originally Posted by Ramzilla View Post
    Looks like it has a filter in the second pic. I wouldn't be changing the oil any sooner myself.
    Yeah. Well I was trying to be a little diplomatic. I guess my point is if you throttle an ironhead that hard and get " fuckin pissed" when it shits the bed....you might need a Honda. A new one.

Get Adobe Flash player

This:
    Yeah. Well I was trying to be a little diplomatic. I guess my point is if you throttle an ironhead that hard and get " fuckin pissed" when it shits the bed....you might need a Honda. A new one.
    Fix it and send it down the road. It's a 1950s design and average riding speeds in the '50s were a lot slower than they are today. It will never be a modern motorcycle.

A new "Honda" isn't required to run at those speeds. That's been no problem for Jap bikes of reasonable displacement since the 1970s and they are so much better lately that any stock HD besides V-Rod is broken by comparison.

It's not some sort of defeat to ride other brands. HD doesn't care about performance and quit publishing quarter mile times a while back because they would be an embarassment.

If I were young today I probably wouldn't be riding a Harley. Naked sportbikes would be a much better fit for wanting to haul ass.

Jetblack

it's like that with a lot of things as soon as you think about selling or replacing, it starts shitting the bed... best to have a couple of bikes going that way once one's up good and shook down you can advertise it and park that bitch warm it to operating temp about once a week with a nice casual stroll to knock any critters out then park again til sold and ride your main, as you work on the next project. Almost back up to that point again since all the moving about.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    This:

Fix it and send it down the road. It's a 1950s design and average riding speeds in the '50s were a lot slower than they are today. It will never be a modern motorcycle.

A new "Honda" isn't required to run at those speeds. That's been no problem for Jap bikes of reasonable displacement since the 1970s and they are so much better lately that any stock HD besides V-Rod is broken by comparison.

It's not some sort of defeat to ride other brands. HD doesn't care about performance and quit publishing quarter mile times a while back because they would be an embarassment.

If I were young today I probably wouldn't be riding a Harley. Naked sportbikes would be a much better fit for wanting to haul ass.
    I gotta agree. A streetfighter would be my ride of choice if no wife not kids. Remove them crappy plastics and make her even fuglier. Yup, that's my m.o.

Get Adobe Flash player

I ride about 65-75 to and from work every day. It's not hard on a (Evo) Sporty to do that. BUT, I only go 5 miles one way. 40-45 miles every day of that and you are abusing an old IH. True the IH was a race bike when originally designed in the 50's. But normal people ride what a racer did back then. What "fast" riding is now, was lunacy back then.

TwoLaneFever

Quote Originally Posted by rjwatters38 View Post
    I ride the bike like 40-45 miles 5 days a week, and around on the off days. my avg speed is around 85 ,,, I have work every day so... yeah! pretty fucked. so I'm gonna go smoke a big fat bowl, drink some moonshine. and not think about this shit until tomorrow .
    dude, you haul ass every where you go ?
    Last edited by TwoLaneFever; 09-30-2014 at 8:23 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TwoLaneFever View Post
    dude, you haul ass every where you go ?
    like 80% of my driving is freeway, so, ya pretty much.

Share This