Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StuntmanMike
    • Mar 2013

Is that literally the stock exhaust just with the tips welded on because it sounds great. I didnt realize that cross-flow connector piece could come off and haven't been brave enough to chop on my exhaust yet. Yours is the 650 right? If so I definitely have to copy your setup and get to working on mine this weekend because I'm tired of sounding like a scooter.

I also did a lot of research on dishing my tank. The oval sticker lines on the tank are the perfect template. Some people obviously cut the shape and then flip the sifes and weld them back in. My plan was to get a soft mallet and pound it out. I tried it on a spare sporty tank and it came out great but ultimately decided not to do it on the Star to get max fuel capacity. My advice if you go through with it from my trial and error on the sporty tank, start in the center and work your way out in circles with light taps, this eliminates the chance of you creasing it if you get too far ahead of yourself and then have to go back and pound out a section that didn't get a good pass the first run. Drink a protein shake and have a Gatorade ready, this WILL be your workout for the day.

Watching this build closely, bike looks good so far man we are close to being twins.

Last edited by JMLewis87; 10-06-2014, 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Magnificentbastard
      • Sep 2014

really dig your build I think I have to get me that bag soon.

Comment

• EVILBLACKSABRE
        • Dec 2013

I remember an episode of "Biker Build-off" where one of Indian Larry's guys "dished" the sides of a tank. Using a torch he bent some thick metal rod into the shape of the "dish" he wanted to create, then he welded it to the side of the tank, then he hammered the area inside the rod "frame". The rod "frame" reinforced the tank and prevented the area outside the "frame" from being affected by the hammering. He looked like he knew what he was doing and it came out great (I doubt Indian Larry would have employed a hack).

Perhaps that episode can be found online somewhere.

Comment

• 21guns
          • May 2012

Originally posted by EVILBLACKSABRE
          I remember an episode of "Biker Build-off" where one of Indian Larry's guys "dished" the sides of a tank. Using a torch he bent some thick metal rod into the shape of the "dish" he wanted to create, then he welded it to the side of the tank, then he hammered the area inside the rod "frame". The rod "frame" reinforced the tank and prevented the area outside the "frame" from being affected by the hammering. He looked like he knew what he was doing and it came out great (I doubt Indian Larry would have employed a hack).

Im actually pretty sure that was Paul Cox who did that in that episode. Aside from that i just used the method stuntman mike used with the rubber mallet and it worked fine

Comment

• JBDad85
            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by StuntmanMike
            Is that literally the stock exhaust just with the tips welded on because it sounds great. I didnt realize that cross-flow connector piece could come off and haven't been brave enough to chop on my exhaust yet. Yours is the 650 right? If so I definitely have to copy your setup and get to working on mine this weekend because I'm tired of sounding like a scooter
            Yep, you got it. I used an angle grinder to cut the cross flow pipe off where it meets the rear pipe, then welded the hole shut. Little 650 don't sound too bad once you open her up!

Comment

• JBDad85
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by StuntmanMike
              My advice if you go through with it from my trial and error on the sporty tank, start in the center and work your way out in circles with light taps, this eliminates the chance of you creasing it if you get too far ahead of yourself and then have to go back and pound out a section that didn't get a good pass the first run. Drink a protein shake and have a Gatorade ready, this WILL be your workout for the day.

Watching this build closely, bike looks good so far man we are close to being twins.

Thanks for the advice! Hoping to get the tank pounded out this weekend so I'll keep y'all posted! Like your bike too, is that a 21" wheel up front?

Comment

• JBDad85
                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Magnificentbastard
                really dig your build I think I have to get me that bag soon.
                Thanks, bro!

Comment

• JBDad85
                  • Oct 2013

Originally posted by EVILBLACKSABRE

Thanks! I'll try to find that one, definitely would be helpful to see someone do it on video...

Comment

• JBDad85
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by 21guns
                    Im actually pretty sure that was Paul Cox who did that in that episode. Aside from that i just used the method stuntman mike used with the rubber mallet and it worked fine
                    Cool, thanks!!

Comment

• JBDad85
                      • Oct 2013

Turned out some bungs for the rear fender tonight on my brother's old lathe.

Comment

• Ramzilla
                        • Oct 2013

Any chance you know the brand of those led strips?

Comment

• JBDad85
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Ramzilla
                          Any chance you know the brand of those led strips?
                          Nah, sure don't. Got them at Advanced Auto Parts and Autozone if that helps. Autozone had the amber ones, could only find red at Advanced.

Comment

• junkman
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by JBDad85
                            Not sure what purpose these things serve on the forks:

But it looks better without them so...

Gonna paint the lowers soon
                            Keeps the front of the tubes from getting pitted from road debris.

Comment

• JBDad85
                              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by junkman
                              Keeps the front of the tubes from getting pitted from road debris.
                              Yeah, figured that out after removing them...no biggie since I want to run boots on them anyway. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Comment

• JBDad85
                                • Oct 2013

Got this bike lift from Harbour Freight last weekend on sale for $299, can't be beat for the price! I can't believe I've been working on this thing for so long without it, so nice to not have to hunch over to do anything!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;