CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Installing 7/8" BMX Grips on 1" OD Handlebars

I do, and I keep getting a lot of weird questions and comments about it. Most common is how did you make them fit over your bars.

I didn't think it was a big deal but some people seem really confused by it. I just couldn't find a set of actual motorcycle grips that I thought felt good.

Animal Delarosa Grips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2232.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

We sell Baxter BMX grips set up for 1" bars, check em out man, http://lowbrowcustoms.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=430 theyre rad, if I ran 1" bars I would use em!

Get Adobe Flash player

I like the ones that Baxter makes, but would like a little more variety as far as colors.

NHMike

I've been eyeballing those Baxter grips too..I'm ordering some new bars tomorrow and I think the next call/e-mail will be to them for a set.

Curry - I'm guessing you've got 7/8" bars?? I don't think I could fit BMX Grips on mine.

Halwade

Stick with me on this one, because it flies in the face of everything you've ever been told about oil and hand grips...

aerosol (and ONLY aerosol) WD-40 is the ultimate installation fluid for putting 7/8" ID grips on 1" OD bars and the even larger diameter throttle tube.

Make sure the BMX grips you're installing are of the soft "krayton" rubber variety (most Taiwanese BMX grips made in the last 20 years are krayton rubber), and don't use too much: a 2-second squirt inside each grip is plenty.

Some combination of the propellant and the petroleum-based oil actually melts the inside of the grip a little, and they stick to the bars like glue after the slippery stuff has dissipated.

I know--I thought it was horseshit when Billy Griggs told me about it in 1984, but it works, and I'v been doing it ever since.

Oh, 3m 77 brand spray adhesive also works great for those of you who think oil and hand grips should NEVER mix.

NHMike

I spit in 'em, hahahahahahaha Seriously though, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Halwade View Post
    Stick with me on this one, because it flies in the face of everything you've ever been told about oil and hand grips...

aerosol (and ONLY aerosol) WD-40 is the ultimate installation fluid for putting 7/8" ID grips on 1" OD bars and the even larger diameter throttle tube.

Make sure the BMX grips you're installing are of the soft "krayton" rubber variety (most Taiwanese BMX grips made in the last 20 years are krayton rubber), and don't use too much: a 2-second squirt inside each grip is plenty.

Some combination of the propellant and the petroleum-based oil actually melts the inside of the grip a little, and they stick to the bars like glue after the slippery stuff has dissipated.

I know--I thought it was horseshit when Billy Griggs told me about it in 1984, but it works, and I'v been doing it ever since.

Oh, 3m 77 brand spray adhesive also works great for those of you who think oil and hand grips should NEVER mix.

Get Adobe Flash player

No 7/8" for me, I am running some 1" bars. It was a bit of a pain to get them on, especially over the throttle sleeve. But if you use the zip tie technique and a little lube, it works. I use a little bit of Tri_flow as lube, doesn't make sense that it works and doesn't slip, but it does.

I just liked the idea of running the same grips on my Sporty as I do on my FBM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hairspray helps a little aquanet helps em slide on then dries and helps keep em on. Although trying to fit 7/8" grips onto 1" bars.....I don't know if that would be slippery enough!

Get Adobe Flash player

an old boss told me that
    "with the proper lubricant it is possible to slide a ball bat up a gnats ass"
    i use air to blow em on dry,sometimes on chrome bars they slip then i use gripstick to stop that.
    i want some red odi mushroom grips.

leon holmes

Get Adobe Flash player

Hal pegged it. The WD-40 magically softens the grips up as well, so they stretch easily to 1" O.D. It dries in minutes and repels water. What do you have that sticks or squeeks! WD, WD, WD 40!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

+1 on the WD40. Has worked every time.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've always just put mine in boiling water for about 30-45 seconds. It loosens up the rubber pretty nice and they fit over the bars easier.

Get Adobe Flash player

This is a handy thread, given that I've been eyeing off some BMX grips lately! Perhaps it should go in the Tech section?

Get Adobe Flash player

When I put new BMX grips onto metal bars I always use hairspray or WD40.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default baby powder

I used baby powder. The only bad thing is, if you use to much they will slip around.

Get Adobe Flash player

SNAFU grips on 1" bars with SNAFU bar ends

Get Adobe Flash player

Im need to find some "creature" green (coming from the skateboard company creature) bmx grips. i like the style of the ones with out the "rim" on the inside of the grip. like these...

QUOTE=BFJosh;2932] SNAFU grips on 1" bars with SNAFU bar ends[/QUOTE]

did they come like that or did you just cut them off?

Get Adobe Flash player

No way........WD40!

I have some Renthal full diamond soft grips in the garage and was wondering how i was going to get them over my 1" bars.

Get Adobe Flash player

your grips wont sqeak!

Get Adobe Flash player

i just remember ridin home frome school in the rain, pullin up on my bars and "pop" off comes my grip...i eat shit and my friend rides up and says"shoulda used wd40" havnt had a problem sence hahaha

Share This