Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steinimal
    • Jul 2014

David bird Hardtail total cost

Anyone who has done a weld on David Bird pre-03 sportster hardtail conversion have a rough idea on what the total cost ended up being? I don't have welding capabilities so if be paying for a shop to weld the tail on. I'd have to figure in the cost of the chain conversion, oil tank, battery relocation and all that fun stuff.
  • SyndicateChoppers
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Steinimal
    Anyone who has done a weld on David Bird pre-03 sportster hardtail conversion have a rough idea on what the total cost ended up being? I don't have welding capabilities so if be paying for a shop to weld the tail on. I'd have to figure in the cost of the chain conversion, oil tank, battery relocation and all that fun stuff.
    take this for what its worth as I get people that call and ask me this all the time.

If you are unable to install the weld on hardtail yourself call Mike at 47 Industries in NJ he is a member on here also name is Mike47
    he makes his own hardtail which in my opinion (as a bike builder) are hands down the best looking evo sporty hardtails out there.
    The retail price on his kit is a little higher than the David Bird but if you need the David Bird installed than the cost comes out to almost the same.
    He also can do the chain conversion stuff and makes an oil tank kit and battery box and a rear fender setup and sissybar etc etc etc to fit if you need that done as well.

Do a google search for 47 Industries and get his number and give him a call at the shop.
    Ive done a few fab jobs based off frames he hardtailed and everything fit and finish wise was perfect.

There are a few pics floating around on here also if you do a search for them of finished bikes.

Like I said by the far the best looking tails out there for the evo sporty frame platform

Comment

• Steinimal
      • Jul 2014

Appreciate the response. From what I've seen, he makes a badass hardtail. Thanks.

Comment

• Ato
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Steinimal
        My buddy might chime in here if he sees this as he is building a 97 w/ a DB. The work is still in progress, but he's bought most of the expensive stuff at this point and he hasn't had to pay for any welding services.

Comment

• Stlmikie
          • Jan 2013

I just did a 47 industries hardtail kit. It's a work of art. Really nice and quality craftsmanship.

Comment

• Topher
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Stlmikie
            I just did a 47 industries hardtail kit. It's a work of art. Really nice and quality craftsmanship.
            Pictures?

FWIW, Mike just hardtailed my shovel frame. Awesome job.

C

Comment

• KeysRyder
              • Oct 2014

I like the 47 industies the best as well, but just cant justify the price he is wanting, 700 without axle/adjusters that is far more than any other out there. But again without a doubt the nicest one I think, you are just going to have to pay for it.

Comment

• Grantman
                • Aug 2012

Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and pull out the greenbacks! A frame conversion is too critical to try to do on the cheap. I've got a crappy looking weld on hardtail on a bike in the garage right now that is about to come out and go into a different frame because that is something too important to take chances on for me.

Comment

• seaking
                  • Jul 2013

this is just my opinion, but DB loops look awful, I hate that the axle plates don't sit inside the loop, and it'd be a pain in the ass to weld it onto the stock loop. And it's probably more prep time. I don't like Mike's, just because of the style--but I do like the shovels, I'd change where he connects the top rear hardtail, but it works. To me both styles don't look right behind the motor.

I'd go with Haifley Bros.
                  That's all preference, but I think with haifley I would follow the directions, cut it as specified, tack on the hardtail and have it verified on a jig. I 't do my own frame work however, but would consider that kit without a jig.

Comment

• KeysRyder
                    • Oct 2014

Looking at about 400 shipped for rear section, Oil tank around 100-200, battery, all depends on what you want from a few dollars in metal to over 100 for prefabed one. Chain conversions look to run 150-200. As far as welding goes, that will be up to what you find. I have a guy here in town that I use to use before I got welder again, he was really cheap, I would guess he would only charge 40-50 to weld up a hardtail. You will also need a fender and seat to go with the hardtail. Does ad up doesn't it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;