CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default HELP PLEASE...Triumph firing on one cylinder

Hey everyone. Iíve searched and searched on the board to see if I can find someone whose had the same problem Iím having and canít find anything and Iím hoping someone can help me figure out how to solve the issue Iím having.

First off, Iím not a mechanic at all but Iím all but finished building my 1963 Triumph T100SS bobber from the ground up. It is a 500cc that has a single Amal 376 monobloc carb. Everything is new on the bike as far as wiring, two 6 volt coils, Pazon ignition, Podtronics regulator/rectifierÖthe works.

I had the motor rebuilt by a local shop and since Iím not a mechanic, I assume the guy set the valve adjustment and figured Iíd be able to wire it, set the timing and fire it up. I made a pointer and set the 38 degrees BTD using a degree wheel.

Hereís where the problems start. It WILL fire up but itís only running on the RIGHT cylinder. The LEFT pipe gets warm but nothing like the right. Iíve got good spark on each side. Iíve tried:

1. Switching spark plugs
    2. Switching plug wires (I thought I might have had a bad wire)
    3. Switched the wires coming out of the coils so the cylinders would fire off opposite coils.

Iíve tried every combination I can think of and it will still only run on the right cylinder.

Also, when it fires up, the engine idles very high and blows gas out of the air filter (which really has me baffled and a little concerned).

Iím at a total loss here and any information would be REALLY appreciated. Thanks very much!

Scott

SamHain

well, valve adjustment seems like the next thing to check. A lot of mechanics over look things or just don't know shit. I got tired of paying people to fuck up my stuff so I fuck it up myself now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do you have a repair manual or engine manual for the bike? That does help.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd do a compression test first. There is good reason my mentor ordered EVERY machine that came in the door got one even if it sounded healthy. I'd recheck valve clearances too. I use the "go-no go" method. If one feeler fits but the next thickest does not, the "go" feeler reading is correct.

I suspect an intake valve too tight or some odd ignition malfunction. When adjusting valves, check, reset if necessary, rotate the engine a few times, then recheck to be sure your setting is correct.

If you are going to own ancient Britbikes this is as good a time as any for relentless study. Hit Triumph forums, have a shop manual and factory parts book, and become your own mechanic. Most owners were when that machine was new because they require frequent attention.

Get Adobe Flash player

Are you using Lucas coils? I had a similar problem with my 71. I switched to a dual fire harley style coil and never had the problem again. But, Like Farmall said, the compression test should be your next step

Tom8336

Sounds silly, but double check that you have the fuel turned on. No fuel no bang.

Get Adobe Flash player

Dont assume anything.

Get Adobe Flash player

That fuel from 2014 has probably gone stale by now...

Get Adobe Flash player

Not too sure how the gas is in the USA but here in Canada the gas isn't much more than watered down cat pee, after 3mos. in a small container it's dead, smelling it doesen't really help, when it's dead it doesn't smell like anything ( to me ) I do small engine repair on the side, and crappy gas is 90% of my bussiness. Do I tell people to empty their equipment and run it dry at the end of the season? hell no.

Get Adobe Flash player

Scott, I just delt with a similer sitiation today on my 69 Bonniville. Left side wasn't firing, spiting a little fule frome the carb, spitting fite from the left pipe on rev. Sound familiar? Reason for the carb spitting gas is because the cylinder is loading up because there is no fire. Pipe getting warm and spitting fire is because maybe you got a slight spark every now and again, which is what happend to me today. Salution for me was new plugs but I'm running a Mag. I switched to the NGK plugs today as they have a hotter spark then the Champion. My suggestion to you would be as mentioned a hotter coil and the NGK plugs.

Get Adobe Flash player

There are three main reasons an engine will not run. Its either, no fuel (gas/air), not spark or no compression. So far, the responses in this thread have covered what I would look at first. Make sure the fuel is on (and good). Then check your compression. You can buy a tester for $50 and its worth every penny. and make sure you have spark. Take the plug out, connect it to the plug wire then kick the bike over with the plug on metal. If there is no spark, chase it down. Maybe a bad plug, bad wire, bad coil etc.

Edit: I didnt realize that this post is three years old when I replied. Please excuse my ignorance. It has been a while since I've been posting in a forum like this and I forgot to look at the basics right off the bat.
    Last edited by Kmc918; 03-21-2017 at 2:18 PM.

Share This