CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Gs-850 bobber redeaux, "polishing the turd"

Hey CC from the PNW!
    This is my first build, and first thread on these forums, there have been some fucking sick scoots here, so I stack up and hope you like what you see going on here.

This builds been going on for a while, so you guys will get about eight months of me dragging my ass on starting a thread on this.

I bought this bike november last year, a birthday gift to myself. I went out into a little town called Eatonville, which is located smack dab in the middle of BFE for those wondering. we got there at about midnight, gave it a quick lookover with a flashlight, got it to try to crank over, tires weren't shit, and the guy looked to have done most of the work. the guy was selling it because it hadn't ran in two years, and he was a pilot and didn't have time to work on it.
    500$ later we made our way into the night and back home. feeling like winners we even caught a beer at a cool little bar on the way out of town before closing time.

the night we brought her home.
    In the morning, we'd take another look.

Shit, she don't look too damn bad for 500$ even with the stupid fucking blinkers.

As I looked closer though, I was kinda bummed with what I saw, the lack of workmanship was pretty evident. I was also kinda scared to think that somewhere that guy is above us at 30,000 feet.
    I mean shit, the straight bars (made from wall pipe) had solid stock tack welded inside on the right side and the grips held it in place.

then you dug a little deeper, and find just how bad someone can fuck this up.
    like how the taillight isnt even welded in place, I was able to twist it twice and break the beads and free the whole thing. also the half done grinds are mine, I couldn't wait to start tearing into this.

then I flipped the seat over.

yes, thats a cabinet hinge, very likely still attached to the trailer cabinet it came off of, with a shitty vinyl cover staplegunned onto it. with the front fender cut at a fucked up angle, welded not straight and directly to the swingarm.
    not to mention the splices and free wires leading to literally nowhere.

It was pretty clear that it was only going to get worse the deeper I dug, and it did, between the four fucking layers of paint, shitty bondo work, and spotty primer I'd decided it was going to be a full redo. The guy had some good ideas, but they needed work to be done right.

I'd planned on keeping the swingarm functional, keeping the big gas tank as I make long trips to see my brother and hate filling up every 50mi, and didn't want to modify the frame too much, just detab mostly, clean up electrics, refresh the motor, and give it new parts all around. Some I'd had leftover as parts I'd not used on other builds.
    I'd swiped the drag bars, the shocks, and 4-1 exhaust from a KZ750 build that I wasn't going to finish anytime soon, as well as the guages. as well, Kinda liked that cleaned up engine and paint shit and its my bike, so you'll get over it. besides, why not since dad bought my brother wheels for christmas, he bought my powdercoating and any machining I (wanted) needed done.

Because I have this insane disorder where I can't undo a bolt without undoing another, It wasn't long until everything was in seperate bags, labelled, and everything I wanted powdercoated was getting ready for that while I worked on everything else. I'd have to mount the new 6" fender I'd bought, making the mounting tab and struts as well as fabricate a new brake bar to clean everything up. I didn't take many pictures of the tear down, but it wasn't long until it looked like this:

I then cut out the last bit of this guys "work", I'm thankful for that, he could not weld for shit:

seriously, fuck that guy.

I didn't take too many pictures of me building the battery box or cleaning up the tubes and their welds and molding them to look like one piece, I'll get pics later maybe.

I'd had the powdercoating done after getting the engine hot tanked, 3 angle grind, and some minor porting.

Its a medium silver with small metal flake, looks really cool in the sunlight

and then begins the stressful part, engine reassembly. I bought a manual with the new seal kit, figured I'd spend the 20$ to avoid making mistakes that arent fixed so cheap.

Again, I know that alot of you aren't really into the polished parts and prefer the rat look, but I'd incidently bought a polishing wheel to do some other work, so why not try the sonovabitch out?

that's much better.

Got the heart back together, stood back and cracked a beer, admired my hard work.

Bought all new bolts and blue loctited them all down. hopefully the rest turns out just as cool.

Decided to mock up the rest before mounting the fender, kinda trying to get an idea how I want it positioned. Check out the old ass first aid kit i'm using for the electrics box.

got it figured out, made the mounting tab, the hardware is just to get it done, gonna use hex heads, much cleaner.

Also made the struts and bent them using the oxy/ace torch and a bench vice, also note the flasher tabs under the seat gonna have to be small ones but theres plenty of room otherwise.

the sticker is still on the new D404s I put on there.

Goddamn, not too bad, I think.

Anyways, thats it for now Chopcult. Paint to come soon, I've got the base colors sitting on my desk right now. Just need a few more things to show up in the mail, mostly just need to order my airbrush.

Let me know what you think!
    Thanks
    -Jordan
    Last edited by Kodiak88; 08-12-2014 at 7:08 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good work, I appreciate polishing. I'm going to say this though: That sprung solo seat looks redonkulous. You need to do a long "tracker" or "cafe style" seat, unless you were to drop the frame rails a bit. Especially with that gigantor tank. Then, if keeping the straight rails, the swingarm mounted fender just looks out of place to me. But! It ain't my bike, just a suggestion since you asked for opinions.

Keep up the good work though man.

Thanks bud,
    I am always open to opinion, I dont take it personally. I didn't mind the seat, myself. I didn't take many pictures of the frame modifications I did, if but slight. the rail the seat mounts to I moved back and dropped an inch, although i'd considered getting rubber mounts. since the seat does look a bit too upswept, but with my fat ass on it, it compresses a bit more and the whole thing sits about level. Maybe paint will kind of change your mind a bit about the tank and fender. I like having the big, flat surfaces, makes for plenty of cool painting possibilities, and makes you forget kind of how big they are.

Get Adobe Flash player

Lookin sweet.maybe if ya just laid the seat right on the rails.ya got shocks...

Get Adobe Flash player

When I saw the last pic, this was almost word for word my thoughts. Thanks for saving me the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
    Good work, I appreciate polishing. I'm going to say this though: That sprung solo seat looks redonkulous. You need to do a long "tracker" or "cafe style" seat, unless you were to drop the frame rails a bit. Especially with that gigantor tank. Then, if keeping the straight rails, the swingarm mounted fender just looks out of place to me. But! It ain't my bike, just a suggestion since you asked for opinions.

Keep up the good work though man.

now that you ALL mention it, I have to agree when I look at it now too, i'll have to go back and rethink the seat a bit more.
    I kind of have a new idea though that wont set me back too far in progress.

Hows the rest of it so far?

Get Adobe Flash player

I dig the deep clean. Should be a fun build.. I'd be interested in seeing a fabbed up seat that creeps up that tank!

Took some time to make a new seat, maybe this will sway more of your opinions about it?
    Obviously still needs to be wrapped in leather, just showing progress.

ignore the little missing corner, its been patched over.

overall, i'm pretty happy with it, what do you fellas think?

Get Adobe Flash player

Its a little better. You should really just bend up a little hoop to finish the rear of the frame then match the seat to it. I'd probably make it a little bit longer but I have no idea how tall you are or the riding position you're going for.

nah, thats making it too much into the brat/tracker. while the style is cool, it's not at all what i'm trying to go for.

Also, i'm trying to make it where I lean over the bike just a little.

I'm 5'9", i didn't know they stacked shit that high, either.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm bobbing a gs650 an that seat is workin

Get Adobe Flash player

I like where you're headed. I've got a bobbed 750 that I'm also draggin ass with. I have been trying to decide what route to go with the swingarm and rear fender so I'll be taking some ideas from yours. Nice work so far.

well, fucked around in the garage a little bit over the last couple days, got the forks separated, got the lowers cleaned up and ready for their trip through my buddies lathe and powdercoating and pulled the shitty old seals out. I also cleaned up the triple trees, got rid of a bunch of shit off of them, they look much cleaner now. kept the two underside holes on the top half, for guages and shit. using mini-tach/speedos and cutting down the tab they come with.

you can see the kind of cast look the metal has, I also ground down the stop that was in there to make room for the bracket for the headlight.

shaped both with files, die grinder, and angle grinder with rubber head and scotch discs. the aluminum top is messy when you shape it with air tools, so be careful, wear fucking goggles.

now with them all done up:

way fucking better.

This shit however, not so much. time for a scrub and seals after their work.

going to have the fender tabs lathed off, since im retaining front brakes, i'm keeping the caliper mounts, obviously. kinda considering running just one front caliper to keep one side of the bikes wheels open. but for now, keeping the brakes I think, too much stopping power is never a bad thing.

here I am starting the process of doing the spot filler work on the frame tubes. blending welds, seams, and the gussets all around the bike. pretty much cleaning up all of my work.

All of that effort really shows up in the primer, its smooth as silk.

well, thats it for progress shots now.

I'm off of work for the next couple days, the weathers nice, and I just bought a case of beer and a bag. Hopefully gonna squirt some color on this bitch in the next day or two. Just gotta do some wet sanding first, gonna spray the small parts for sure. picking up the bearings for the swingarm after this post and after pay day should have the neck bearings and the forks at powder coat.

Get Adobe Flash player

like some other guys already mentioned that spring seat ain't really fit in ...

1st of all imho such seats look cool only on rigid frames - 2nd would rather go with a short seatbench like on those cafe-racers and 3rd why don't ya go in the cafe-direction?

can pretty good imagine a nice tail with some small taillight in that cafe style

Get Adobe Flash player

and sorry to say - but in my opinion the fender doesn't really match the shape of the tyre

distance inbetwwen the sheet-metal and rubber should be the same all around the radius especially for a fixed fender

really like your engine work with that "bling bling" polish stuff

I'd changed the seat idea about halfway through the thread, go back a bit and check it out.
    Kinda realized it looked not so proper with that one.

The reason I didn't go in the Cafe direction was really just because I didn't want one. not that they're not cool, I just didn't want one.

The fender actually fits a bit better than you think, that picture was before I remade the fender tab, it fits a bit better now.
    I think it'll be alright when you see it finished.

Thanks though, the engine was a bitch to do up like that. but new hardware and some elbow grease do some good work.

Share This