X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonathan650
    • Jan 2014

Virgin Bobber Build

Hey Guys,

New to the bobber scene, I recently picked up a 97 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom. Completely stock. I didn't hear it run when I bought it as it was -40 out and the bike was frozen solid.

Spring came around and I started work to get this thing running. Cleaned the carbs, replaced some worn carb internals, new plugs, new fuel filter, fresh fuel, and new battery. Got it running after a long time trying and rode it down the street. Next day, again it would start, so the carbs came off for another cleaning. Maybe there was some junk left it the tank that came through some how. After that it seems to start and run fine.

I started pulling the stock parts off such as the huge rear fender, stock bars, seat etc. I threw on some slightly taller bars. And that's how it sits as of now.

The rest of my parts, solo seat, mount, springs, fender, turn signals, mirrors are sitting in my basement awaiting install. The only thing I am still trying to figure out is how I want to mount my fender, and what I should do with the exhaust. Once everything is fab'd up I will be painting the fender, tank, and misc chrome a nice gloss black.

I also want to run a switch so I can turn off the headlight completely at times. Has anyone done this?

Here are some pics for your enjoyment.

When I got it:

Some chopping and mock ups:

Last edited by jonathan650; 05-26-2014, 9:01 AM.
  • jonathan650
    • Jan 2014

*Upadate

I decided against the flat fender that I found locally. Wasn't really digging the style, and want to be able to have a passenger at some times and didn't feel that it would be able to safely support one.

I decided to alter the stock fender to slimline it a little. I'm happy with how it came out, I just need to do the " J slam" so there isn't such a gap between the tire and fender.
    I also chopped the stock mufflers off the bike and added some curved tips. These suckers are loud!
    I added led turn signals up front and in the back to bring the bike up to date a little and get rid of those HUGE stock blinkers. Along with that I added a side mount tail light/license plate bracket.
    Took it for its first ride once complete.

Comment

• jonathan650
      • Jan 2014

I have been riding the bike for a few days and have recently started noticing a problem. It seems when it warms up that one of the cylinders (I think its the rear) is cutting out. When I come to a stop it sounds like it is running on one cylinder and sometimes may die at idle, or when I got to take off it has next to no power and sounds like one cylinder, then all of a sudden it will kick back it and run normally. As while im am riding at speed and go to get on the gas it seems to lack power and be running on one cylinder (sounds like it too) until I wiggle the rear spark plug wire and it will kick back in at full power.

I have done some poking around with it, and it seems like the rear spark plug wire is really lose on the plug and wiggles around. If I play with it, the bike seems to run better. Has anyone else had this problem? I'll try to take a video if that would help.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
        • Jan 2011

the loose spark plug boot is a problem of course. But did you jet the carbs for open pipes? If not that would explain the lack of power and possibly some other things.

Comment

• Akamm47
          • Nov 2012

I would lose AIS as well, that will minimize the pops in the exhaust. Maybe think about doing the GAK mod as well,

Comment

• jonathan650
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by deathmetaldan
            the loose spark plug boot is a problem of course. But did you jet the carbs for open pipes? If not that would explain the lack of power and possibly some other things.
            I have not re-jetted. From doing research most people said that for just removing the mufflers and keeping the stock pipe that I would not have to re-jet. But seeing as the way the bike runs, I would assume it has something to do with jetting.

Originally posted by Akamm47
            I would lose AIS as well, that will minimize the pops in the exhaust. Maybe think about doing the GAK mod as well,
            I will be removing AIS very soon. For right now I am going to keep the stock intake.

Does anyone have suggestions of jetting size? 115 or maybe 117 I was thinking...

Comment

• dannyrds
              • Jan 2013

Can't help with the running problem, but for the light question. If you can locate the wire that does the low beam light, you can cut it and put in a toggle switch, or open the headlight and interupt it there with a toggle switch on the headlight housing

Comment

• jonathan650
                • Jan 2014

Turns out it wasn't a jetting issue at all. The electrical connections on the front cylinder ignition coil had weakened and cracked causing it to lose connection and cut out at times. I replace the end and she runs perfect again.

I did however delete the AIS system which helped a lot with popping. I also did the J-slam to the bike.

Here it is now, all that is left is some paint and to remove those decals.

Comment

• JBDad85
                  • Oct 2013

Slick looking ride! Question: how'd you get those tips on there? I chopped the pipes on my '04 and I'm having the damnedest time trying to find something that will reduce down to those tiny 1" pipes. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• bodmodmatt
                    • Oct 2013

Like mentioned above just splice into the wiring on the headlight. I have a 03 and used a toggle switch located on the neck. The switch now controls high/low/off.

Comment

• Desperado
                      • Jun 2013

Oh man I need to know what you did to your excaust, any chance u could send you some questions via email? Not pm?

Comment

• Desperado
                        • Jun 2013

Based on the above picture he posted it looks like he has taken the exhaust off right at the muffler clamp?
                        I cannot believe that this doesn't need a rejet and or has any ramifications in regards to performance?

Click image for larger version

Name:	XVS650mufflerViews.gif
Views:	1
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1273645

Comment

• JBDad85
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Desperado
                          Based on the above picture he posted it looks like he has taken the exhaust off right at the muffler clamp?
                          I cannot believe that this doesn't need a rejet and or has any ramifications in regards to performance?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49515[/ATTACH]
                          Yeah, I did the same thing with my bike, also had to cut off the pipe that ran in between the front and rear pipes and weld the hole that created shut. I had already done a rejet for the RAK mod (http://www.650ccnd.com/mods/RAK/rak.htm), and cutting the exhaust didn't seem to change anything as far as jetting is concerned. My problem with taking the mufflers off is that the stock pipes (at least on my '04) neck down to about a 1" diameter where the mufflers clamp on so I'm not getting as deep of an exhaust note as I'd like. That's why I'd like to know what he used to get those exhaust tips mounted because I can't find anything that will reduce down to the 1" diameter

Comment

• Desperado
                            • Jun 2013

so just because I am super interested in this, when you said...

also had to cut off the pipe that ran in between the front and rear pipes
                            Where on the last attached picture is that? The entire baffle section? And if so what what "hole" do you talk about when you say you welded a hold shut.

Did you notice any performance issues after the rejet?

Comment

• Desperado
                              • Jun 2013

I nearly feel ready to try this, however I am unsure were to cut it, given my last adventure with my front tire I don't think I should angle grind it.

Đăng nhập vào trang web 90phut ngay bây giờ để tận hưởng thời gian của bạn mà không phải lo lắng về những quảng cáo gây phiền nhiễu. Các thông tin cần thiết, thời gian phát sóng, tỉ số… của mỗi trận đấu đều được cập nhật thường xuyên trên website 90phut, giúp bạn dễ dàng tiếp cận những thông tin mới nhất. Hơn nữa, chúng tôi cung cấp thông tin hữu ích từ các nhà bình luận nổi tiếng một cách thân thiện và nhiệt tình. Còn do dự gì nữa, hãy vào ngay trang website 90phut và thưởng thức những trận đấu kịch tính đỉnh cao nhất.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;