CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Rigid ironhead drum to disc conversion.

Hey I was just wondering if anyone out there had switched their rigid ironhead from a drum rear brake to disc. I was just wondering how easy it would be and if you needed to replace the whole rear wheel.

Get Adobe Flash player

Its a fairly extensive change. You are going from a mechanical system to a hydraulic system. You will also need to mount the caliper. You'll need a new rear wheel, or if its spoke you would need to lace a new hub and then source a brake system to use.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm in the process of doing it on a '74 with a V-Twin hardtail. I'm using the rear wheel, disc, caliper, and master cylinder from an early 90s Sportster. Mounting the MC might end up being tricky, but I'm making custom foot controls. Everything at the rear wheel was as easy as making some axle spacers.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have just done this conversion on my ironhead hardtail.I replaced the drum with a solid bt wheel.You need to see if sprockets line up, wheel needs to be centred, spacers to be made, bearings and axle may need swapping to fit frame, and where to mount master cylinder and caliper to work the disc.

Share This