CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Problem with electrical/turn signals 09 Sporty

I tried doing a search, but couldn't find what I needed. I'm new when it comes to this, so please excuse my lack of knowing the real name for things.

I've got a 2009 sportster. Recently, my turn signals stopped working/started acting weird. When I turn the key on, the right blinker is on. It won't turn off until I turn the key off for a second and turn it back on. After I turn it back on, it doesn't work at all. My left blinker works, but my running lights in the rear don't turn on. When I use the left blinker, it works fine.

I had recently changed my plate to a side mount and cut the fender. I cut out a lot of the wiring and moved the chip/computer/whatever it's called from inside the tail light forward to under the plug in computer thing (that's the technical name, right?) I put it in a bag and taped the shit out of it to make it as waterproof as possible. I had thought that perhaps it had gotten wet, because this started shortly after huge rainstorm that I was riding in, but I took it out, and it looked fine. I cleaned it and put it back to no avail.

Before I start pulling everything apart, does anyone have any idea what it could be, or what I should be looking for?

In addition, Can I remove that microchip/CPU thing and just solder the wires?

Thank you so much in advance.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Scott808 View Post
    I'm new when it comes to this, so please excuse my lack of knowing ...

I cut out a lot of the wiring and moved the chip/computer

Before I start pulling everything apart, does anyone have any idea what it could be, or what I should be looking for?
    I would guess your problem has something to do with cutting out a lot of the wiring. Without us knowing what you did, it would be impossible for someone to diagnose your problem. I would suggest trying to undo whatever you did. and get a manual with wiring schematics.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's going to be a lot of trial and error on your part. I am not sure someone is going to pinpoint the exact issue you are having. Also i would take the ECM/ECU out of the bag. When it starts to get humid condensation will start to build in the bag.

Get Adobe Flash player

First of all the people on this sight all learned by doing through trial and error. This is a CHOP sight so taking a shot at it earns points with the members. Knowledge is power and you'll get a lot of it here. First, like EVO said take the ECM out of the bag, the fitting is waterproof and the box needs airflow to stay cool. Wiring is tricky so get a manual, then ask here, get some input and then grab the wire cutters. Get some pics thrown in, we're visual in our nature.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll do my best without knowing to much about your bike, or what was done. I have recently been screwing with this on my Dyna. Basically your turn signal is activated by a momentary switch that sends a signal to your TSM. The TSM the tells your signals to blink until cancelled manually or by tilt. So with that said, you probably have a short somewhere.

When you cut out the wiring, did you re-solder or just splice the connections? If so, did you shrink wrap them?

Have you messed with your switches lately? For instance, wired them internally if they were not already.

1.) Start at the switch and check for continuity between the momentary switch, and the "turn switch input" on the TSM plug. (refer to your manuals wiring diagram to see exactly which pin.

2.) Wiggle that shit around at different spots to check for loose connections, and pay close attention for exposed wire.

3.) From the TSM plug, jump the "turn switch input" to its corresponding "turn feed" on the TSM plug. Again, check the wiring diagram to make sure you are jumping the correct pins. Your turn signal should now be lit solid.

4.) Check continuity to the turn signal. Wiggle it, look for splits, etc.

The problem is in there somewhere. Just start at the beginning and keep working your way back

Share This