CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default CV vs Bendix on old Ironhead

For the last two years Ive been fighting a damned bendix carb and Im finally over it... its on a 57 sporty chop. Running a Mag so thats why Ive stuck with it. Curious as to a CV fitting with a magneto and the different sizes of CV carbs...
    seeing 38mm, 40mm, 44mm...
    I realize a super E will also fit with the mag flipped but Id rather run a CV.
    Any insight to the fitment and sizes of the carb for old sportys would be appreciated!
    Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

I run a 40mm Cv carb on my 76 ironhead. not as old as yours but I am running a Mag. It fits fine, and runs great. Had a super b before this, but I didn't like the response of it having to roll the throttle when my 83 ironhead has a super e, was hard going back and forth.

Anyway, you should be fine on clearance. Size wise, I would go with a 40mm.. Worth it to get the adapter plate as well, so you can run a manifold like the s&s that is bolted on rather than those flimsy rubber setups.

IDK how your mag is positioned, but I have a Morris on mine, for reference

The CV is a great carb with a few slight modifications it will easily handle 100 hp and are very dependable.There is a ton of tuning information on the web nightrider.com has a great performance how to on them and it works real well I have set up many many over the years.

xllance

I hope you have room for one with the mag (can't help you there) because converting to a CV from a Bendix was the best thing I did for my 72 CH. njm23 is right about the press on adapter plate too. They're on Ebay.

Get Adobe Flash player

I used to give or throw Bendixes away back when they weren't worth any cash and I'm not the only one.

No point in "fighting" any tech you can conveniently replace, and nowadays Bendix fans will buy your old one off Ebay.

I run a bendix on my '72 FLH primarily because I want to keep it as original as I can. It's no performance carb but easy as hell to rebuild and tune (within it's limits of course). I just kept buying them until I found one that seemed to work good. I know that sounds stupid but I've heard that from other guys as well, and since they're cheap as hell it seemed like the easiest method. Anyways, just letting you know what worked for me since you're having trouble with your bendix. May be as simple as buying another one or two. Of course, switching to the CV is certainly a good idea as well.

Share This