Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DocChow
    • Nov 2013

Wooden sissy bars- Stupid or cool idea?

So I was talkin with my buddy the other day and we got in to sissy bars. His bike already has one and I'm going to make mine. So since I got my bike I've been lookin for cool lookin metal pieces or anything that caught my eye that would still be somewhat original.... Not to much luck. So then I t to thinkin how often have I seen any kind of wood on a bike... None right well not not make a sweet rustic or old fashioned looking sissy bar with some brass bolts a nice dark finish or something along those lines. Obviously it be anchored with metal so it will have some weight barring capabilities.... Anyway what do ya think sound stupid or you got any similar ideas or improvements on the original?
  • Deckard43
    • Sep 2011

I can see it, but i would definately make it outta metal and just have wood accents bolted to it with said brass. If done right, you would'nt see the metal. But then again thats getting int Paul Jr's "innovative" territory.

Comment

• usmc50lx
      • Jan 2013

I could see it man...with a Velvet seat, Lantern lights, Frazetta mural, Invaders.... since I sold my Honda you could use my old plate "LSD 8U"

Comment

• ARBY
        • Apr 2024

"So then I got to thinkin how often have I seen any kind of wood on a bike... None right..."

Yeah, no there's probably a really good reason for that. I've seen lots of wood accent pieces on those two wheeled conestogas like Gold Wings trying to make them look plush. Pretty barffie. But hey, it's your bike.

Comment

• DocChow
          • Nov 2013

Yeah but my aim is unique And old lookin not luxury car interior wood not tryin to make it look fancy ya know

Comment

• DocChow
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by usmc50lx
            I could see it man...with a Velvet seat, Lantern lights, Frazetta mural, Invaders.... since I sold my Honda you could use my old plate "LSD 8U"
            Hahah man not tryin to go that hard ha awesome

Comment

• BerserkerBlue
              • Sep 2010

I've only ever seen one, and it looked pretty good to me. Not sure on structural integrity but it was unique.

(pic from facebook, if it doesn't show up let me know and I'll put it on picasa and repost it)

Comment

• semaj
                • Jun 2013

Hey I think it could look good,if it fits the bike.Being a guitar player that head stock thing look good.What could it hurt giving it a shot,the worst thing that could happen is you don't like it.

Comment

• MadDog
                  • Nov 2009

If you do this, I reccomend framing the wood with metal and use the hardest wood you can find. Oil the wood regularly. Be sure the metal is structural and the wood is mostly ornamental. remember, wood expands and contracts depending on the relative humidity in the air which is affected by tempurature and everything else. Plan accordingly. Bear in mind the vibration will affect wood much differently than metal. Be aware of the direction of the wood grain and the potential for splitting.

Do it right and it will look good, do it wrong and it will look like dog poo.

Comment

• twistNshout
                    • Nov 2013

hmmmm ..... that there is out-of-the-box thinkin'. i'd suggest not trying to cut, massage and stain a slab of wood. mebbe look for a piece of drftwood. or mebbe you'd find just the right shape in a wild grape vine. think about a stout willow tree branch and steam bending what you need. remember though, if it ain't functional to as least some degree, it'll just be rough cut bling.

Comment

• jsChicago
                      • Mar 2013

Well, just to weigh-in for the other side; I think a wood sissy bar on a bike sounds horrible. It'll make the bike look more like a piece of furniture and less like a machine, but to each his own ---- I'm told that's what makes the word go 'round.

Comment

• KingHerald
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by BerserkerBlue
                        I've only ever seen one, and it looked pretty good to me. Not sure on structural integrity but it was unique.

(pic from facebook, if it doesn't show up let me know and I'll put it on picasa and repost it)
                        Well that is a metal sissy bar with a wood insert. Looks good though.

Comment

• Deckard43
                          • Sep 2011

Is it just me, or does the tank look horrible on that bike? It just don't seem to fit right.

Comment

• Slayer63
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Deckard43
                            Is it just me, or does the tank look horrible on that bike? It just don't seem to fit right.
                            Dude! First thing i thought. Totally clashes with the rest of the bike.

Comment

• Blackjesus
                              • Jun 2012

Wood could be cool if done right.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;