Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hillakilla
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by wompin
    i think i may get away with my 42 and just reset the mix screw (capped with aluminum plug) since i have a paper filter and baffled 2-1-2 pipes.

Ill try shimming the needle first. If ive got mid-range issues ill get the '88 sporty needle
    let 'er breathe!!!!!

Comment

• sportysrock
      • Aug 2013

Stock 883 heads with a 1200 kit makes a 1200 ignition module desireable. A stock take-off will work. You don't have to adjust the voes switch, just check it works right. A 45 slow jet, shimmed needle, 180 main jet, & adjusted idle mix screw should work. Replace intake and exhaust gaskets.

Sent with :-)

Comment

• wompin
        • May 2012

Jets n Ignition

Thanks for all the recipies on performance guys. Im anxiously awaiting a call from Bob (my indy guy) to say hes got the jugs n pistons in. Ill prob stay up all night puttin it in cause Im a tweak like that.

Once it comes time for a tunin Ill be goin back over everyones input and brew up some good 14:1 air fuel voodoo.

more to come. . .
        Last edited by wompin; 11-20-2013, 8:28 PM. Reason: cause you smell funny

Comment

• sportysrock
          • Aug 2013

You want the 1200 ign. because the advance curve is different than the 883's. Good luck!

Comment

• wompin
            • May 2012

Originally posted by sportysrock
            You want the 1200 ign. because the advance curve is different than the 883's. Good luck!

What year range is this the case for? Ive heard some guys say the ignition is the same and some say its different. It sucks tryin to sort out contradictory internet wisdom

Comment

• sportysrock
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by wompin
              What year range is this the case for? Ive heard some guys say the ignition is the same and some say its different. It sucks tryin to sort out contradictory internet wisdom
              Looking on the parts microfiche @ Ronnie's HD site, ign. for year 2000
              883 p/n 32466-98
              1200 p/n 32465-98
              VOES sw. both 26558-94

Comment

• wompin
                • May 2012

Valve Lapping

So Ive been waiting forever for my cylinder kit to come in. I guess they sent it to california accidentally.

Anyway I got the heads cleaned up and lapped the valves tonight. The exhaust valves and some spots on the intake seat have some pitting. Im not sure if this is severe or acceptable. I never noticed any weird power or compression issues while running it this past season. The combustion chamber did have a fair amount of carbon build up though.

I lapped each valve/seat for a total of probably 30 sec to 1 min lifting and tapping periodically.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• ThePete
                  • Nov 2011

Never pulled apart a motorcycle head to lap my own valves but one trick I learned that made the job a lot faster and easier for cars was to use a cordless drill attached to the valve stems. I don't know how severe the pitting is since I can't really tell on my iPhone so I can't say.

Comment

• daroberts3
                    • Dec 2012

Those pits are unacceptable. You need to lap for a little longer or the valve seats need to be cut and the valves ground. The whole purpose of lapping a valve is for a completely clean smooth seal. Do it right while it is apart. If you send this to a machine shop you should also price out a larger intake valve job.

Comment

• wompin
                      • May 2012

Wow that sucks. What affect does this type of pitting have? The bike was running like a cherry for the last 15000 miles. . .

Im gonna try lapping them a bit longer. If I sent the heads to a machine shop I think my wife will cut my balls off in my sleep (aka Im broke from buying diapers)
                      Last edited by wompin; 11-30-2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• junkyardxl
                        • Mar 2012

I had a set of heads done, 3 angled and everything and it was pretty cheap actually. I'd just lap them longer if I were you.

Comment

• wompin
                          • May 2012

mmmmkay

What is pretty cheap if you dont mind me askin? Im a pretty cheap guy so I might be able to swing it.

In the mean time Im gonna lap em a bit and try not to eat away the whole face. Updates in an hour or so...

Comment

• daroberts3
                            • Dec 2012

Yup, lap your balls off! Ha, either lap your balls off or send heads to a machine shop and your wife will cut your balls off. End result either way is ball-less Wompin

Comment

• junkyardxl
                              • Mar 2012

I think it was like 100 bucks here in nc.

Comment

• junkyardxl
                                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by junkyardxl
                                I think it was like 100 bucks here in nc.
                                That also included decking and the valve works and vat cleaning

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;