CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... Last

Hybrid View

Default The Greasy Dozen 2014 Get support for your build!

So what is the "Greasy Dozen" it's my way of giving something back, saying something about what's important to us and supporting the core of our hobby, home builder's and small independent shops.

First let's get one thing straight "The Greasy Dozen" concept is not a "build off" in fact it's basically the exacted opposite of a bike build off. Really the Greasy Dozen is about working together supporting built not bought culture, home builders, and small shops. Drawing in like minded companies, the community and builders to spread what we love. By it's very nature "The Greasy Dozen" avoids pitting people against each other and encourages us to work together. People of all different skill levels can enjoy building a motorcycle! Promoting that ideal while spreading grassroots builder culture and the traditional biker values of brotherhood and mutual respect is what the GD is all about. I purposefully included a first time builder and 1 small shop in each category to further illustrate that you don't need 100k of equipment or to do this for a living to turn out a badass build.

Greasy Dozen 2014 Kick off:

Once again we are looking for 4 Choppers, 4 Cafe racers and 4 Bobbers

This year I'm gona lay down a few rules to make thing run a little smoother for me from a logistical perspective.

Here's how you enter:

1. Find the thread on Chop Cult titled "The Greasy Dozen 2014" post a picture of your current project and plans for it.

2. Post your build and plans on OBB's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/oldbikebarn

3. NO PURCHASE REQUIRED TO WIN SPONSORSHIP OF YOUR BUILD. Though myself and all the sponsors do appreciate your business. PLEASE MAKE IT EASY ON ME WITH CLEAR AND PROMPT COMMUNICATION IF YOUR A WINNER. Last year we had over 1000 applicants between CC and Facebook and I after announcing the winner I spent tons hours chasing down joebiker@hotmail.com to get a real name, address and phone. Imaging having to waste countless hours trying to chase down dudes to give them free stuff. I don't mind working hard to serve the community and organize the Greasy Dozen and associated events but please make it run smooth. email bear@oldbikebarn.com if you have any questions.

4. Like the following Facebook pages www.facebook.com/chopcult www.facebook.com/oldbikebarn and www.facebook.com/thegreasydozen. Once the 2014 sponsor list is released like as many of the sponsors as possible "Support those that support you"! The announcement of the official 2014 sponsors will be December 25th.

2014 winners will be announced January 31st and we will chronicle the builds again and do a run.

WHO QUALIFIES? Any home builder or small shop with 2 employees or less. You can also email me directly bearhaughton@oldbikebarn.com or send me a PM and I'll answer any questions.

Regular updates of the 12 builds will be posted here and I will personally support the 12 winning project builder's by phone and email getting you the parts you need and whatever freebies I can along the way.

This is about working together and having some fun along the way so haters please go hate somewhere else.

Now lets build some bikes!

Peace & Grease
    -Bear
    Last edited by Eloso; 06-23-2014 at 9:09 AM.

Ok so I through this together to have something to ride cause my heads for this came back just as I myself and my stroker shovel went down. So I put it together in about a month and a half and rattle canned it to protect parts and frame and what not. so my plans are to rebuild forwards, shave forks and powder, wanna run mullins super narrows on the 39s got a whole lot of flake candy and base waiting for a squirter and i gotta fix oil leaks in the oil tank i screwed up i cut a hole in a led sled oil tank and put the switch and all wiring through the oil tank. Im gonna keep this i have a good friend who did it in a gas tank i thought he was crazy aparently seeing as its not on the side it dont leak course it may not leak for him even upside down but still. anyway the motor is coming back down all the way cases split polished cleaned all hardware replaced. jugs heads powdercoated and rocker boxes polished. more brass is better. new forwards built by myself, look the only problems ive had is stuff i bought forwards broke on my 215 mile shake down run course so did the kicker. anyway my shovel is almost up again and this one gets to get finished and done right instead of oh XXXX i need a bike to ride cause im goin nuts. I apologize to any truests i cant ride with a hand clutch im missing two fingers on my left had cause i had an accident on the stroker. so im a jockey guy and its linkage across the motor in reverse and will stay that way. i know its not a ground up build but it really is im taking it back to bare frame and starting over. Thanks guys later Roadie

Quote Originally Posted by bradhilburn View Post

Ok so I through this together to have something to ride cause my heads for this came back just as I myself and my stroker shovel went down. So I put it together in about a month and a half and rattle canned it to protect parts and frame and what not. so my plans are to rebuild forwards, shave forks and powder, wanna run mullins super narrows on the 39s got a whole lot of flake candy and base waiting for a squirter and i gotta fix oil leaks in the oil tank i screwed up i cut a hole in a led sled oil tank and put the switch and all wiring through the oil tank. Im gonna keep this i have a good friend who did it in a gas tank i thought he was crazy aparently seeing as its not on the side it dont leak course it may not leak for him even upside down but still. anyway the motor is coming back down all the way cases split polished cleaned all hardware replaced. jugs heads powdercoated and rocker boxes polished. more brass is better. new forwards built by myself, look the only problems ive had is stuff i bought forwards broke on my 215 mile shake down run course so did the kicker. anyway my shovel is almost up again and this one gets to get finished and done right instead of oh XXXX i need a bike to ride cause im goin nuts. I apologize to any truests i cant ride with a hand clutch im missing two fingers on my left had cause i had an accident on the stroker. so im a jockey guy and its linkage across the motor in reverse and will stay that way. i know its not a ground up build but it really is im taking it back to bare frame and starting over. Thanks guys later Roadie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2643.jpg   DSCN2644.jpg  

hate to seem like i'm repeating the same ole song and dance but here is my humble submission. it's a 1975 cb550. i guess it would be in the bobber section. prolly just keep the neck and cradle. not sure yet.

and it begins... -Bear

2014 Greazy Dozen CHOPPER entry! 81 shovelhead, its a rat right now but undergoing big changes during this 6 month Winnipeg winter! getting a top end rebuild, new shoes, new everything actually but staying swingarm! 70's/80's club style chop.

This is the first bike I have ever attempted building. Here’s how it started, I was screwing around on eBay one day and accidentally won a bid on a pink 1972 Triumph 500. When the bike arrived most of it was in a box covered in rust and grease. I started searching the internet for ideas on how to put this thing back together and discover all the great vendors, bloggers and builders that are out there. Now I am hooked on the whole garage build culture I have the tee shirts to prove it.

Here’s how I have progressed thus far and where I plan on going with my Triumph build.

• I sold the pink flake tins on eBay (thanks to the guy who purchased those) and replaced them with a p-nut gas tank, duck bill rear fender and an aluminum oil tank.
    • After getting the jugs bored and head rebuilt I put the motor together and polished a bunch of the parts that show. I burned up a brand new Harbor Freight dual buffer.
    • The hard tail was replaced with a new bolt on 4’ stretched hard tail from the Factory Metal Works.
    • I am waiting on a 4 under chrome Springer also from the Factory Metal Works.
    • Coker 18’ rear tire on the stock Triumph rim
    • The Springer will hold a Crime scene head light.
    • I have a 21’ rim and Avon speed master going on the front.
    • Tons of parts going out for chrome.
    • The Frame going to powder coat
    • The Tank and fender are getting paint gold leaf and old school pin striping.

The most valuable design lesson in have learned so far is knowing when to say when. If you hang to much jewelry on one of these bikes it starts to look more like a parade float and less like a Bad ass scoot. Wish me luck!

Before PIC

photo Before_zps27011727.jpg

Current PIC's

photo Seat_zpsa9e37562.jpg

photo Buttshot_zpsf4ddbb79.jpg

photo Carbs_zpsf8cb3867.jpg

photo Engine_zps0bed4509.jpg

photo 72-bobber_zpscb820703.jpg
    Last edited by scooney; 10-19-2013 at 6:13 PM.

Default Greasy Dozen 2014 build

Here is my build. It is a bone stock 1968 Honda cl 350. I found this bike in a garage where it had sat since 1971. A trade was negotiated and the bike is mine. It has 3250 original miles on it. The previous owner bought it new rode it a little and his wife made him park it. Motorcycles are too dangerous she said.
    My plan for this bike is to make a café racer. Low bars, battery eliminator, dished tank, rear set controls. and café seat are a few of the planned mods. The bike runs and rides but needs some work after 42 years sitting.

Started tearing the bike down and doing some mock ups. The clubmans and seat pan look good. The seatpan is half a snowboard I found in the trash. Next step is the seat hump to hide the electrics. The rear sets are in the works as well as new headlight mounts and gas tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phone720 006.jpg   phone 009.jpg  
    Last edited by Rich68; 12-29-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: forgot a few things

LivingCanvas

What if I don't have a facebook?

This is my chopper entry.

I found a deal on a 51' pan drive train and scooped it up. A few weeks later found an original wishbone frame that was molded and chopped in the 70's along with an original california cycle works narrow girder.

my plan for the build is simple... alot of molding and chrome and crazy paint. i will be using as many vintage and hand made one off parts as possible.

as of right now i have a rough mocked up roller and a crusty drive train. here is where it sits.

Default 72 cl350

No-can-do
    Last edited by vnygra; 01-30-2014 at 9:12 PM. Reason: I suck, too many other projects

Quote Originally Posted by LivingCanvas View Post
    What if I don't have a facebook?
    Last year we had guys join Facebook just to be part of this. As a winner its your responsibility to advocate built not bought culture and show the generous sponsors some love. Its a social world and unfortunately Facebook is a requirement to be part of this. We are using technology to spread our values and culture. -Bear

Out of curiosity, any plans to update theGreasyDozen.com site to reflect this year?

[EDIT]: I guess it would make sense to wait 'til after sponsors were announced and stuff... duh.
    Last edited by seanvondoom; 10-22-2013 at 6:42 PM.

LivingCanvas

Quote Originally Posted by Eloso View Post
    Last year we had guys join Facebook just to be part of this. As a winner its your responsibility to advocate built not bought culture and show the generous sponsors some love. Its a social world and unfortunately Facebook is a requirement to be part of this. We are using technology to spread our values and culture. -Bear
    Yeah I get that. But in my case Facebook stole money from my bank account, so it's out of the question for me...

Good luck fellers I'll be one of the many watching!

Default HELP! A girl and her 1976 CB750 CAFE RACER

I got this 1976 CB750 in January of 2013 from a friend. I have an OK background in bikes and mechanics thanks to my late father, who most certainly would be helping with this bike if were still on earth. I have a friend of mine who is a bike mechanic and diesel tech who is basically teaching me as we go...and every time we work on the bike, I find more and more stuff that needs updating/replacing and tweaking....

The bike's name is Ewan, by the way...after my fantasy lover, Ewan McGregor. Come on...he rides motorcycle and was hot as Obi Wan....anyway...I'll tell you what I'm doing with Ewan (the bike):

Bike Needs:
    Updated electrical system (wires mainly - but am considering replacing the electric starter - it's OLD)

Shorter front forks and rear shocks ( 2 inches shorter) - I'm only 5ft 3.5 inches tall and plan on planting my feet flat and not like I do now which is all to one side....makes my mother nervous.

New tires (brake fluid soaked into them from sitting)

New rear brake and lines (front and back)

Carbs rebuilt and tuned

New oil lines

and a new, sexy, cafe racer seat....which will also help with the height as well as that cafe look.

Clubman bars, too.....

As you can see, I already have the paint scheme and the engine runs....will be replacing many of the gaskets (which I recently bought) as well as the master cylinder, throttle cables and front and rear brake lines and pads, etc. I'm so close to finishing this build, but money is extremely tight thanks to unexpected medical bills and a decrease in income (I'm a music teacher) and lay offs and cutbacks are hitting hard this year.

This is my first real build and I'm in love with learning everything there is to know about this bike and am thankful for the brotherhood (and sisterhood) that motorcycling has given me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 996951_963229538329_195845398_n.jpg   IMAG2246 (1).jpg   IMAG2249.jpg   IMAG2291.jpg   IMAG2292.jpg  

I don't know if I'm to late or not but thanks for the opportunity to just enter . My project is a 73 CB350 , my first bike build . I got it off a neighbor so I could learn something about bikes without messing up my new one . After I got it somewhat running I needed to decide what I wanted to do next . Stretching the swing 4 inches was gonna happen anyway way I went . Aftter I did that I was gonnna go Café Racer but decided that wasn't me . This is the way I went , swing arm bobber . I would really like to get it on the road and running this year to work out any bugs then next winter tear it down and make it nice looking . No on with a couple pics .

The day I brought it home

Pretty much where I am at now

I repurposed a lot of the old bike to keep cost down . Pretty much the only stuff I bought up until now is DOM tubing , a truck load of parts in 1 deal , and Honda Rebel rear shocks .

Thanks Kevin from Pittsburgh Pa

Nycsh89

Came home the other day to a package from lowbrow even though I didn't order anything.
    Early Christmas present from a buddy of mine, ribbed mustang tank and new oil tank. Also took the headlight I got a few weeks back and drilled out the high beam indicator to put in a HiLo switch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gt.jpg   ot.jpg   hl.jpg  

Hell with it.

I'm hoping I'm not too far along.
    2000 V-star 1100. Everything except the wheels, engine, and the steering neck is being made in house.
    Custom 22" ish over leafer, custom hardtail frame, exhaust, tooled leather seats, I'm farming out the chrome and paint, and thats it.
    I like to think that my style is unlike anyone elses, its Far from a cookie cutter, and I'd be honored to be a part of it if I qualify. And of course if I dont just get frustrated and finish it quicker......

Where I'm at right now

And beside me interm beater that I built for under $800.

Guess I'll throw my hat in again this year. Some may remember my long chop build from last years associate builders thread. Due to back surgeries and building debt I had to sell it before I finished it. Back doing good now and I'm back on two wheels again! My current ride is a 91 sporty, 1250 kit, SE cams, heads have been ported and polished, the usual. In the shape my back is in I'm gonna have to abandon the rigid builds. This year I'm submitting a swinger short chop. I'm extending the swing arm and using a swing arm mounted fender and sissy, haven't decided on a front end yet. Either using a lowered hydraulic with triumph fork shrouds or going all out and building my own springer. Plan on machining my own pegs, grips, mounts bungs and whatever I can get in the lathe! Gonna build a set of my stainless bars and do a custom tank and seat.Thanks for the chance and good luck to the other entrants!

Last years build

Current ride

Last edited by 70schop; 10-23-2013 at 8:38 PM.

Default my entry

here is my entry for the 2014 Greasy dozen build. I am building a 1973 CB550 into a cafe or street tracker/desert sled.

What I am starting with:

Here is what my ideas and plans are for this bike. haven't completely decided on a definite plan but i will soon.

I have an update for my entry:
    I am also going to enter my 2006 HD Sportster 883. I am going to turn it into Street Tracker/Cafe.

The starting point:

What I am going for:

You can choose either one.

Order made on Old Bike Barn as well :-)
    Last edited by Greasercustoms; 10-29-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Share This