CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 39 of 50 First ... 29373839404149 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Another prize on the way!

Limited Edition Greasy Dozen Builder Collective Vests!

There will only be 112 of these numbered limited edition Official Greasy Dozen Leather Vests and the 12 GD Builders each get one. The cut is a little traditional but so am I... this is the same vest I have been worn on many long distance trips and I hope you build a relationship with this garment and enjoy it for many thousands of miles. I personally hand condition each of these vests before shipping with professional grade products for immediate comfort. However for best results I recommend having a party to welcome it to the family and following these steps.

Step 1. Poor some beer on it

Step 2. Have the boys kick it around in the dust for a while

Step 3. Ware it in the next rainstorm and air dry

You will be impressed with the quality of the leather once it breaks in, how it ages, looks and fits after putting some miles on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gdvest1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	48044

Name:	gdvest2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	48045

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Next prize

Also shipping the 12 winners this week will be a Whiteknuckler Knife!

Name:	wkknife.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	48046

Get Adobe Flash player

Soooooo awesome.

My wife bought me a leather vest when we started dating 14 years ago. Its been through hell and back, and its due for replacement. Shes been looking around for a replacement and just about bought one last weekend.
    Irony is that it was almost like that. Fucking sweet Bear. You da man.

Get Adobe Flash player

Who is planning on going to Born Free 6? I'll be there and would like to meet up with any other Greasy Dozen builders. Let me know...

Farnie

Get Adobe Flash player

Need to finish brazing it down, and buff it out, but finally have a tank mount I'm happy with.....

Get Adobe Flash player

You dudes are an inspiration man...

And since the GD is about encouraging the community and each other, I have to admit to y'all... my project has stalled out a little bit. Between the shit with my job (I landed on my feet after only being out of work for 2 weeks), getting a new puppy (it really is like having a fuckin' infant child), looking for a new place to live at the end of June, and the weather finally getting nice enough to get out on my bagger, I really haven't put in much time on my project lately. I feel like I'm starting to get to that part where I need some help - I don't have access to welding gear (and wouldn't know how to use it if I did...) and I have basically no experience tearing into engines. I really want to strip mine down and clean it out, replace all the gaskets, etc... but I keep being afraid it may be more work than it's worth, or that I'll get dick deep into it and have no idea how to get it all back together.

I'm gonna hit up the Brolodex as well, but if anybody lives in the Baltimore/DC area and is interested in coming out to lend a hand and drink some beers, I could definitely use the help. Not only with getting the work done, but with staying on track!

Speaking of welding, a little unrelated rant here - I really *really* want to learn how, and as a veteran, I assumed I'd be able to use my GI bill to pay for the training. Nope. Not around here anyway. What the fuck?! Isn't the whole point to train vets with marketable, trade skills? I mean I guess I could just go buy a welder and start hacking away at it, but I don't want to burn my buddy's garage down and I'd actually like to be able to weld things I'd be comfortable trusting my life to at 90mph

Anyway... Keep kickin' ass bros.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by seanvondoom View Post

And since the GD is about encouraging the community and each other, I have to admit to y'all... my project has stalled out a little bit. Between the shit with my job (I landed on my feet after only being out of work for 2 weeks), getting a new puppy (it really is like having a fuckin' infant child), looking for a new place to live at the end of June, and the weather finally getting nice enough to get out on my bagger, I really haven't put in much time on my project lately. I feel like I'm starting to get to that part where I need some help - I don't have access to welding gear (and wouldn't know how to use it if I did...) and I have basically no experience tearing into engines. I really want to strip mine down and clean it out, replace all the gaskets, etc... but I keep being afraid it may be more work than it's worth, or that I'll get dick deep into it and have no idea how to get it all back together.

I'm gonna hit up the Brolodex as well, but if anybody lives in the Baltimore/DC area and is interested in coming out to lend a hand and drink some beers, I could definitely use the help. Not only with getting the work done, but with staying on track!

Speaking of welding, a little unrelated rant here - I really *really* want to learn how, and as a veteran, I assumed I'd be able to use my GI bill to pay for the training. Nope. Not around here anyway. What the fuck?! Isn't the whole point to train vets with marketable, trade skills? I mean I guess I could just go buy a welder and start hacking away at it, but I don't want to burn my buddy's garage down and I'd actually like to be able to weld things I'd be comfortable trusting my life to at 90mph

If you lived close to me, I would lend a hand and help teach some welding to you.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sean, check out the local tech center, they probably have an adult ed welding class. I just did one that was 30 hours and it was only $500.

Get Adobe Flash player

Speaking of welding, knocked off work early to go do some today. Right now its actually just tacked, 4 spots at the top and 8 for each leg.

Seems like I've finally reached the point where every time I go put in a full days work, I have a new part to show for it. But, there's still a LOT of parts to go. Even this piece is still far from done - needs the axle and brake caliper mounts, machining to mount the lower ball joint (and actual automotive ball joint) and remove excess metal, and some not-entirely-decorative gussets added across the front of the bridge (which will make it even more ludicrously stiff than it already is- the whole thing is like a fork brace on nasty Russian steroids).

Seanvondoom - I never took a proper welding class. I'll grant there's a lot I don't know and more I can't do, and wouldn't even hope to do it for a living, but you can develop decent skill (or maybe just enough to fool yourself into risking your life on crap like this) practicing on your own, but that get really freaking expensive if you have to buy all the tools. I know when I went to community college, there was a number of vets there, and they had a welding program. If you really want it, it can even be worth taking out a student loan; that's how I got through school (for computer programming), ended up landing some great jobs immediately after, improved my life a hell of a lot (not in the least by funding my motorcycle habits). BUT, if you do go to school, attend every class and get the best grades you can; paying for school and then just sliding by doing the minimum of work and attendance is like paying a whore for a 50/50 and then blowing your load on the BJ.
    Last edited by 53Bash; 05-14-2014 at 8:52 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Ato View Post
    Sean, check out the local tech center, they probably have an adult ed welding class. I just did one that was 30 hours and it was only $500.
    On a hobby/chopper building level -

Dont waste any money takin a course spend that dough on a cheap 220v mig, some gas and some scrap metal - anything real structural, tack it and take it to somebody else.

Ato - not trying to say your course was a waste by any means, I just know if I had $500 and had to choose between the equipment and getting started or just taking a course....
    Last edited by BnC; 05-14-2014 at 8:44 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh and thanks a lot for everything Bear, really really appreciate what your doing for us.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by seanvondoom View Post

You can use your GI bill to go to hobart all day long, as well as MMI or any other major school. If you find a Community College that has a no shit welding program you can use your GI bill for that. If you have a disability rating of 20% or more you can use Vocational Rehab, If you use Voc Rehab then what you are trying to get into cant affect any service related disabilities. For instance even though I had spent a year paying out of pocket for welding classes and am certified as a SMAW in 2G 3G structural unlimited thickness and 6 G pipe as well as GTAW or Tig root and hot pass 6G pipe with stick the rest of the way out, because I have asthma I cant use voc rehab for that. And since I am missing two fingers on my left hand I cant use Voc Rehab for MMI. But they will pay for me to attempt to get a mechanical engineering degree...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Eloso View Post
    Limited Edition Greasy Dozen Builder Collective Vests!

There will only be 112 of these numbered limited edition Official Greasy Dozen Leather Vests and the 12 GD Builders each get one. The cut is a little traditional but so am I... this is the same vest I have been worn on many long distance trips and I hope you build a relationship with this garment and enjoy it for many thousands of miles. I personally hand condition each of these vests before shipping with professional grade products for immediate comfort. However for best results I recommend having a party to welcome it to the family and following these steps.

Step 1. Poor some beer on it

Step 2. Have the boys kick it around in the dust for a while

Step 3. Ware it in the next rainstorm and air dry

You will be impressed with the quality of the leather once it breaks in, how it ages, looks and fits after putting some miles on it.

Name:	gdvest1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	48044

Name:	gdvest2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	48045
    I thought they were doing the biltwell with the belt thing man? I got the belt no rag?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 53Bash View Post
    I never took a proper welding class. I'll grant there's a lot I don't know and more I can't do, and wouldn't even hope to do it for a living, but you can develop decent skill (or maybe just enough to fool yourself into risking your life on crap like this) practicing on your own, but that get really freaking expensive if you have to buy all the tools. I know when I went to community college, there was a number of vets there, and they had a welding program. If you really want it, it can even be worth taking out a student loan; that's how I got through school (for computer programming), ended up landing some great jobs immediately after, improved my life a hell of a lot (not in the least by funding my motorcycle habits). BUT, if you do go to school, attend every class and get the best grades you can; paying for school and then just sliding by doing the minimum of work and attendance is like paying a whore for a 50/50 and then blowing your load on the BJ.
    I love the analogy. I appreciate the suggestions, man. I have enough student loans - I paid for my Bachelors with loans, before the Army. The Army paid me some back, but not all. And then I took more loans to cover my Masters while I was in (couldn't use my GI Bill because they were still paying for my Bachelors at that point). So I'm still up to the brown eye in student loans. Those guys are fucking criminal. I mean, don't get me wrong - having a Masters and the military experience I did, I've got a great job. But it hurts my feelings watching that money go right back out the door to pay for it. I could probably swing paying for the classes out of pocket - and it might come to that... but it just pisses me off that I have the GI Bill and can't use it to learn a marketable trade skill - that's exactly the kind of shit they should be encouraging people to do!!

Quote Originally Posted by bradhilburn View Post
    You can use your GI bill to go to hobart all day long, as well as MMI or any other major school. If you find a Community College that has a no shit welding program you can use your GI bill for that. If you have a disability rating of 20% or more you can use Vocational Rehab, If you use Voc Rehab then what you are trying to get into cant affect any service related disabilities. For instance even though I had spent a year paying out of pocket for welding classes and am certified as a SMAW in 2G 3G structural unlimited thickness and 6 G pipe as well as GTAW or Tig root and hot pass 6G pipe with stick the rest of the way out, because I have asthma I cant use voc rehab for that. And since I am missing two fingers on my left hand I cant use Voc Rehab for MMI. But they will pay for me to attempt to get a mechanical engineering degree...
    Hobart would be convenient if I was living back home where my folks are... I *really* wish there was an MMI out here. I see commercials for it on TV all the time and it just pisses me off. I *did* find a community college that has a no shit welding program (Anne Arundel Community College, and classes are held at Earlbeck Gases), but because their program "too short", it's not covered by VA benefits. And it's the only one around that even has a welding program. I went as far as getting ahold of the state Higher Education Commission veterans representative to try to find out why it wasn't eligible and get them to take a second look at it. They basically said "fuck off."

I've been out for less than a year and I still haven't filed my disability claim (I expect at least 30%... hoping for closer to 50% but we'll see) because Walter Reed took 9 fucking months to send me my records. Not that I'm bitter. I need to get on that, and maybe I can get Voc Rehab to pay for it...

Doubtful though, because most of my disability would be for my hip. So they'd probably say I couldn't use it for a job that would require me to stand most of the time (or some shit)

Anyway, thanks all for the enocouraging words and suggestions.

Get Adobe Flash player

Going to be carrying a passenger quite a bit and wanted something sturdy as far as a fender mount goes. I also wanted something that wasn't hiding out. I think this foots the bill for both.

Get Adobe Flash player

New seat pan idea

Get Adobe Flash player

Got the spokes this week and will be lacing the wheels this weekend. It will be good to have a roller once again. Next is the sheetmetal and finishing the rearsets.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 021.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	48224 The tank is beginning to take shape. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 025.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	48228
    The motor needs lots of cleaning. In the next few weeks it will be back in the frame.
    Last edited by Rich68; 05-17-2014 at 9:09 AM. Reason: update

Get Adobe Flash player

Plans for the seat:

Get Adobe Flash player

That seat design looks slick. Is the padding going to come past your metal flange though?

Get Adobe Flash player

2 of the kids came up and seriously killed it this weekend with me. Dont know what I'd do without them, my hands still fucked up, so they've taken up the slack.
    Got a 4140 axle made this week. Replaced the mysteriously broken one.
    Front calipers mounted.
    New toe pegs
    Speed holes in the rear fender
    Finished the last of the engine mounts
    And so stoked on the foot clutch linkage. Took forever to figure out, but its awesome.
    Lots of other bits and pieces I'm forgetting, new heat shield, gussets, Axle spacers.......1 more solid day of fab and it can get torn apart for paint and powder.
    Rolled it outside and took some decent pics with a real camera too.

Share This