CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default clutch adjustment

i have a 1980 harley davidson lowrider with a 1340cc shovel head with 4 speed trans and my ? is, how do u adjust the clutch? right now when i pull the clutch handle all the way in the clutch is still partially engaged (the bike will still try to move forward) how do i adjust it so that the clutch fully disengages. sry if i sound like a dumb ass but this is my first harley that i have worked on it was left to me so im slowly trying to learn the bike and get it restored at the same time any help would be great thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

How long did it sit? probably the wrong way to do this, but i drove mine with the clutch pulled untill it stopped rolling. also, adjust your cable.

Get Adobe Flash player

It is quiet simple! The clutch on your bike is diffrent to the clutch in the pics, but the adjustment is the same.

Pic 1: loosen locknut (2), turn adjuster screw (1) inwards until you can remove the clutch cable from release lever Pic 2.
    Pic 3: remove clutch cover, losen locknut 2) and turn adjuster screw (1) inwards or outwards, so that the clutch release lever Pic 2 is exactly 13/16 from top of gear box. Apply light pressure(in direction towards front wheel) to the release lever to eliminate pushrod free play.
    Pic 1: Hold adjuster screw (1) in place and tighten locknut (2).
    Pic 2: Attach clutch cable to release lever and turn cable adjuster (1) until there is 1/8 to 3/16 free play between outer cable and hand lever bracket Pic 4. Tighten locknut (2).

While you are at it, it is a good idea to lubricate the clutch cable. I use sew machine oil. It will make lever action smooth!
    It is sometimes difficult to measure the 13/16 clearance. I have cut a long piece of card board to 13/16 and use it like a gauge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clutch 007.JPG   clutch 004.JPG   clutch 003.JPG   clutch 008.JPG  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by GermanG View Post
    It is quiet simple! The clutch on your bike is diffrent to the clutch in the pics, but the adjustment is the same.

Pic 1: loosen locknut (2), turn adjuster screw (1) inwards until you can remove the clutch cable from release lever Pic 2.
    Pic 3: remove clutch cover, losen locknut 2) and turn adjuster screw (1) inwards or outwards, so that the clutch release lever Pic 2 is exactly 13/16 from top of gear box. Apply light pressure(in direction towards front wheel) to the release lever to eliminate pushrod free play.
    Pic 1: Hold adjuster screw (1) in place and tighten locknut (2).
    Pic 2: Attach clutch cable to release lever and turn cable adjuster (1) until there is 1/8 to 3/16 free play between outer cable and hand lever bracket Pic 4. Tighten locknut (2).

While you are at it, it is a good idea to lubricate the clutch cable. I use sew machine oil. It will make lever action smooth!
    It is sometimes difficult to measure the 13/16 clearance. I have cut a long piece of card board to 13/16 and use it like a gauge
    thanks man worked great now all i have to do is get a new rear master cylinder and caliper and some tires and bike will be back to 100% thanks alot

Share This