CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Essential Tools

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Essential Tools

I'd like to go from just wrenching a bit, maintenance, and other minor things into actually building or chopping something of my own.

What tools would you guys say are essential to the building/chopping process?

Get Adobe Flash player

a chop saw for chopping stuff it all depends on how crazy you want to get i'll list mine in order of importance (to me) hand tools, measuring devices, grinder(s), drill, drill press, welder, biggest chop saw you can buy or build, mill, lathe flannel shirts, beard, camera, facebook, instagram and beer.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch505 View Post
    i'll list mine in order of importance (to me).
    I'm sure you meant to put beer first though.

Get Adobe Flash player

Allen head and torx drives, those multi tool things are junk, t handles are good, but those puppies on a rachet or impact make life easy
    Manual hammer type impact for all them stuck a-holes.

Sawsall, grinder, welder, and my electric impact are my most used tools besides the sockets and the usual suspects.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free

Get Adobe Flash player

I use my Porta band saw mounted in a Swag off road stand and my multitool belt grinder all the time.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V40-...able_p_63.html

http://www.trick-tools.com/Multitool...1#.Ul04DJ3D-Uk

Get Adobe Flash player

shit I can go on forever about the tools I use almost everyday in the shop
    I would say my most important ones would be

Tig welder
    lathe with a ridiculous amount of tooling
    milling machine again with a ton of tooling and vises
    drill press
    angle grinders with cut off wheels and flap discs
    air sanders
    hand files
    basic hand tools (wrenches, sockets, allens, etc)
    band saw
    grinding wheel
    bench vise
    oxy/actelyne torches
    clamps and holding fixtures you can never have enough of those
    media blasting cabinet
    wheel truing stand
    air compressor

dont get overwhelmed these types of tools are extremely expensive and take time to build up a nice collection.
    No one really jumps into this overnight
    even if you have all the tools you need to learn how to use them properly and safely and learn the fundamentals of building a bike so its a safe machine to ride and not a death trap that will kill you.

Get Adobe Flash player

The first chopping tool on my list would be a nice angle grinder. You can chop and sand like a champ. The list is too long to type. The great thing is once you start chopping you will soon see that you need this and that to finish each project. Necessity will soon dictate the best tools for the job.

I will say that buying cheap tools is a mistake. I am not saying that you must buy Snap-On but step up as much as you can. I fucking hate cheap ass tools and hate myself every single time I buy a cheap tool and it breaks or sucks.

The great thing about nice tools is that they last a long time. You are rarely only using the tool for "that" job. You will have it moving forwards and your future engineering will evolve with new tools. At some point I stopped buying parts and concentrated on buying tools. That was a big shift in my hobby of motorcycles.

Jakemon

Get Adobe Flash player

Syndicate Choppers nailed it. Dont buy cheap tools at first, take your time buy good quality tools.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Lazaruscycleworks View Post
    Syndicate Choppers nailed it. Dont buy cheap tools at first, take your time buy good quality tools.
    on some I agree to buy best, but alot you can get by fine with cheap tools it really depends, air tools, dont buy junk, but you dont have to buy the best either. a welder you need a name brand, & there are quite a few good companies that have cheap decent machines, or had as in older machines.

some tools its ok to cheap out, I have a friend with a shop, if it wasnt for cheap tools he wouldnt be in business.

90% of all his stuff came from Harbor freight, the rest Lowes Kobalt, & Sears Craftsman, or what he found at fleamarket, he rents a small shop, & barely makes a living. he lives in highest unemployment area of state, otherwise he wouldnt be able to find a job, no garages are doing good, people dont have the money, & are losing their homes. he does alot of work on credit, & thats how he is able to stay in business. he also has had to take a few cars, but he has to survive. his only other option is to move where money is, & he likes it here.

if in doubt ask, someone here can chime in.

Get Adobe Flash player

Start building. Buy the tools you need as you go. In a year or two you'll be able to answer this question yourself.

Share This