Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

...Won't the stem nut just drive my top .500 spacer right out of the bearing when I tighten it up?
    Were you able to do the pre-assembly as noted above to check the amount the top of the steering stem is sticking out above the top dust shield, to be able to determine the length of the steel spacer sleeve;

"...I'm going to do is make an aluminum or possibly a steel tube to slip over the stem to be captured between the two spacers- why? To make sure that they don't slip out of the bearings to the middle of the stem. Now this get's a bit tricky because you can't measure exactly what the distance between the two is once it's installed. But you can install it all with out the tube spacer and measure how much your steering stem extends above the dust shield on the top. you have to hold it tightly in place and then measure- mine was roughly 5/16". Pull it out of the steering head, mock it up on the bench and measure between the two bearing spacers inside to inside on the stem- this will get you close- I'd make it a bit shy of this over all length- the main thing is that the spacers never slip down or up completely out of the bearings- this way you keep them in place- make sense?"

Do you also have the two steering head bearing abutment rings as part of your '71 assembly?

#83-2007; Abutment ring, steering head bearing, Triumph TR6, TR7, T120, T140 TSS, TSX
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Triumph 83-2007-abutment-ring-steering-bearing-tr6-tr7-t120-t140.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	1324039
    OD: 1+25/32" (45.1mm)
    ID: 1+7/16" (36.5mm)
    *NOTE:
    NOTE this item appears incorrectly in some Triumph parts books as dust cover.

Located above the lower head bearing and below the upper bearing.

classic-bike-shop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, classic-bike-shop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Parts assembly, forks, 1971/1972:

Name:	forks71-72.jpg
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	1324040
    As noted above, the numbers are mixed up for the bearing rings and the dust cover in this parts assembly image;
    #13 and #15; the 2 bearing rings (#15) are listed as the dust cover (#13) in the description notes below the image - see here:
    key part number description per models 1 97-4080 fork assembly 1 1971-72 all (not 1971 tr6c) 1 97-4081 fork assembly 1 1971 tr6c 2 97-4035 top yoke 1 1971-72 all 3
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 03-21-2023, 6:21 AM. Reason: measurement of rings
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• buzzkilr
      • Sep 2009

Thanks sir! I was under the impression the spacer sleeve was optional I'm thinking now it's not! That drawing had confused me in the Glenn's book I think its shown the same. Well I'll keep at it then!

PS If I use a T150 lower tree and the top hat along with the Lowbrow tapered bearing kit would that dispense with all the spacers desribed by the original poster?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

...If I use a T150 lower tree and the top hat along with the Lowbrow tapered bearing kit would that dispense with all the spacers desribed by the original poster?
        found this:

"The situation with using T-140 fronts on older frames pertaining to the T-150 steering stem is this: Can you just bolt on the T140 parts?
        Yes you can, BUT you have about HALF of the thread engagement on the top nut!
        I put a T140 front on my A75 and wasn't about to use the standard stem after seeing this.
        I used a late T150 lower with the correct length stem, Not worth the risk imo to save a few bucks and possibly have the threads strip and your front end go loose!"
        and
        "I just mocked up OIF drum brake yokes on a 1964 frame. The nut is screwed on about two turns..."

"...'68 frame and T140 forks - wont fit..." "It will fit, just the stem top nut only has a few threads to grab;
        a T150 yoke is just easier with a 'dry' frame, because the stem is the same length as the 'dry' frame's original stem and the bearings match."

"T140 stem is shorter. A change that came about with the the oil bearing frame and tapered bearings? The T150 didn't change from the early bearings/neck specifications so the late T150 disc brake stem is longer to fit the early bearing/neck arrangement."

I have been building a t120 with a t140 disc brake front end and seems there is a fair bit of Flex under brakes toward the frame, is this normal? The steering head is tight just where the sliders and fork sanctions are is the issue, it's all pretty new to me and I'm learning as I go so ma...

For reference:

Front forks spares & parts for Triumph 1968-75 – T150/T160
        Part Number & Description
        key part number description per models ni 60-3780 lock a 1974 t150v from frame no. cj41610 ni 60-4137 blind grommet 1 1973 t150v s2, 1974 t150v s1 ni 82-3098 clip 1 1968 t150 ni 97-1510 gaiters each a 1

Yokes, Bearings and Conversions

Recently I have had a number of enquiries regarding the correct arrangement of parts in the steering head area of various Trident and Rocket 3 models, and the correct way of converting earlier drum brake models, of both variants, to Disc brake.

In 1969/70 models, the arrangement of the steering head races is fairly obvious, however the problems start occurring with the introduction of the forks used with the conical hub brake in 1971. Although the yokes used in these forks are similar to the Triumph/BSA Twin models that used them, there are important differences with regard to the location of the steering races, and the length of the steering stem.
        The bottom yoke is the only one affected, and it is very dangerous to try to use a twin yoke on a triple.

The frame headstock lug used in all T150 Trident models was the same general forging as that used in the 1963-1970 6T/TR6/T120 Triumph twin models, the later Daytona models, and generally dimensionally the same as BSA Rocket 3, and therefore the headrace cups and cones were also (nearly) identical.
        However, the fork yokes used for the 1971/72 Triple drum brake and 1973/75 Triple disc brake models used a smaller diameter stem than the 1969/70 Triple models, or the other earlier twins
        and another piece, part number 97-4145 was fitted into the arrangement to adapt the smaller stem to the existing top cone.
        The dust shield fitted in the top cone remained unchanged.
        As this adaptor (#97-4145) is a separate piece it is not supplied in headrace "sets" and has to be moved from the existing top cone to the replacement.
        The bottom cup and cone remained unchanged, with in Triple yokes, the smaller diameter stem having a thickened lower register to locate the lower cone by its inside diameter.
        The small stem design, when used in the "oil-in-frame" twin was engineered to allow the use of two taper roller headraces in a smaller headstock. In this version of the arrangement the taper roller sat on the thickened lower area, around a ground raised area of stem. The Trident did not receive this modification until the T160 model of 1975, which also had a longer stem too, so the bottom yoke is specific to that model.
        The very few disc braked Daytona models produced used the old headstock arrangements, and therefore the fork yokes from the T150, and the adaptor.

This knowledge usefully leads to the choice of the correct method of fitting a set of T120 or T140 disc brake forks and wheel to an earlier T100/T120 Twin or T150/A75 Triple.

The "oil in frame" twin that carried the disc brake fork used the small diameter steering stem and taper roller headraces. The bottom yoke is not suitable for fitting these forks into an earlier twin or triple because the location arrangements for the cup and cone headraces are incorrectly sized or positioned.

The correct bottom yoke to use for this modification is the one from a 1973/75 T150 Trident. Either style of disc fork top yoke, with the instruments mounted under the dummy fork top-nuts, or in the T160 style pods, may be used when doing this conversion.
        The 97-4145 adaptor must, of course, be fitted. There are also damping and springing specification changes between twin and triple, but these internals are interchangeable.

The overall length of the steering stem was also different between the variations in yokes, and only the T150 disc type yoke has the correct length for this "Retro-fitting"..."

Top Spacer for Triumph Triples Fork Bearings
        Part Number 97-4145

Name:	97_4145_001.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1324053

Original equipment on Triumph triples with disc brake front ends.

To allow forks with ¾” stem, conical and disc brake, 1971 on style, to be used on pre-oil-in-frame necks.
        Used with 99-3733/A Taper Bearing Kit.
        As fitted to top bearing cone on 1971 on T150 and A75 models, and the Triumph Hurricane X75.

Taper Bearing Set For Triumph Steering Heads
        Part Number 99-3733/A

Includes top dustcover. Taper bearing set for Triumph steering heads on the following models: 1956 onward Triumph preunit 500, all 1956 through 1970 Triumph 650, 1967 onwards Triumph 500 twins except TR5T.

Replaces cups, cones and loose balls, providing easier installation, less frequent adjustments, longer life, and better handling. We also stock taper bearing conversion kits for many other models of Triumph, BSA, and Norton..."

Heavy Duty Taper Bearing Set For Triumph Steering Heads
        Part Number 99-3733/B

Name:	99_3733b.JPG
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1324054
        Replaces cups, cone and balls for many models.
        See also 99-3733/A, our non-heavy duty set.
        How to; Installation Instructions
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• buzzkilr
          • Sep 2009

Thank you ....again! I'd rather get a drum T150 lower tree I assume it also has the longer stem?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

...I'd rather get a drum T150 lower tree I assume it also has the longer stem?
            from what I read above,

"I used a late T150 lower with the correct length stem..."

"a T150 yoke is just easier with a 'dry' frame, because the stem is the same length as the 'dry' frame's original stem and the bearings match."

"...The T150 didn't change from the early bearings/neck specifications so the late T150 disc brake stem is longer to fit the early bearing/neck arrangement."

"The frame headstock lug used in all T150 Trident models was the same general forging as that used in the 1963-1970 6T/TR6/T120 Triumph twin models...
            the fork yokes used for the 1971/72 Triple drum brake and 1973/75 Triple disc brake models used a smaller diameter stem than the 1969/70 Triple models, or the other earlier twins
            and another piece, part number 97-4145 was fitted into the arrangement to adapt the smaller stem to the existing top cone...The small stem design, when used in the "oil-in-frame" twin was engineered to allow the use of two taper roller headraces in a smaller headstock. In this version of the arrangement the taper roller sat on the thickened lower area, around a ground raised area of stem. The Trident did not receive this modification until the T160 model of 1975, which also had a longer stem too, so the bottom yoke is specific to that model...The overall length of the steering stem was also different between the variations in yokes, and only the T150 disc type yoke has the correct length for this "Retro-fitting".

Top Spacer for Triumph Triples Fork Bearings
            Part Number 97-4145
            Original equipment on Triumph triples with disc brake front ends.
            To allow forks with ¾” stem, conical and disc brake, 1971 on style, to be used on pre-oil-in-frame necks.
            Used with 99-3733/A Taper Bearing Kit.
            As fitted to top bearing cone on 1971 on T150 and A75 models.

found this:

Installing OIF forks on 63-70 Models

"...Your top bearing cone will fit the OIF stem,if you get the collar from a '71-'74 T150.It's a top-hat shape and it fits neatly between the bearing and stem.P/N 97-4145.
            The '71-'72 T150 lower yoke is right if you have the drum brake.Your lower bearing cone will fit that yoke."

"I am purchasing a kit from SRM Engineering that should allow me to put a 1972 front end on a 1967 frame

Code SRMTR8 - Taper rollers with specially made outers.
            £48.68"

"I converted a 71 T150 front end from conical to disc from a T140. I used a later T150 bottom triple clamp and a roller bearing conversion from The Bonneville Shop that pressed right in..."

"...TR6 has dry-frame steering head with cup-'n'-cone steering bearings, T150 has dry-frame steering head with cup-'n'-cone steering bearings, oif steering head is both slightly shorter and has taper-roller bearings... t is possible to use the oif bottom yoke and steering stem, but the top nut doesn't pick up many threads on the stem; also you need taper-roller steering bearings that'll fit the dry-frame steering head, which can make it even more difficult to attach the nut to the stem?"

"...almost nothing is interchangeable between disc and comical forks. Disc yokes hold the legs almost an inch further apart - 7-5/8" centres vs. 6-3/4" centres. Even comical and disc axle clamps aren't interchangeable."

"...What you need to look at is a 73(2nd series)or 74 T150 parts book. I would not use the T160 book as it uses OIF T120/T140 steering head bearings. You can see these books at www.bigdcycle.com or www.classicbike.biz . The frame bearings (97-0111) and the lower tree bearing (97-0431) are the same on the T150 and your bike. The race bearings are also the same size. The difference is your have free balls (forgive me) and the T150 were in a cage. I would use the T150 top bearing so all parts match. The steering head area on the T120/T150, distance wise, from bearing to bearing is the same..."

TRIDENT EVOLUTION
            T150 Trident genealogy can be broken down into 2-year chunks, with significant changes made with each, followed by the ’75 T160 Trident and then…oblivion.

The 1969 and 1970 T150 Trident were essentially the same bike other than the clunky bodywork that came on the early ’69s. They were based upon the prevalent Triumph hardware of the time, ie: 8-inch TLS front brake,...

The 1971 and 1972 T150 adopted the more modern-looking bodywork and cycle gear from the new Oil-in-Frame Bonneville and TR6 lines launched in 1971. These included those gorgeous new conical hubs front and rear...

The next major change came with the 1973 and 1974 T150V, with addition of a much-needed hydraulic front disk brake...

The story of the Triumph Trident and her sister-bike, the BSA Rocket 3, is one of the most interesting, and at the same time most exasperating, tales in all the annals of Classic British Motorcycles. Interesting because the Triumph Trident might actually have been one of the few instances in which Triumph’s parent company, BSA, could have actually been ahead of the curve with its planning. Exasperating because it took so many years to get from concept to prototype, then […]

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;