CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 1980 xs650 special 2

i began cleaning the carburetors yesterday and noticed that both diaphragms either have a tear or small pin holes. i obviously need to replace them but i cant seem to find any were on the carburetors any numbers that may indicate what type carburetors they may be. only thing i was able to find is makuni kogyo. im almost certain these are the bs34..is there any way else or can some one confirm that before i order the diaphragms.. thank you

Jetblack

Well, man that can be a tough one without having numbers. Depending on the carb new diaphragms are not fucking cheap either or easy to find, in some cases it's best to get different carbs as it will come out cheaper believe it or not... may still have to clean them and shit but make sure the diaphragms are good first.

But I'll give you a little tip, on repairing them. I conduct a lot of experiments and I've repaired a diaphragm before, it worked fine up until I sold it and as far as I know the guy never had issues with it after.

Here's what I did to repair it. There's this shit called liquid electrical tape; I taped the tear shut on one side with scotch tape, then painted a dab of liquid electrical tape on the non taped side tear then used a piece of wax paper wax side down to flatten the liquid tape, set it aside and let it cure up for over 24 hours, peeled the tape off first then the wax paper second.

It held up fine for the 3 months I rode it before selling it. I just couldn't source any diaphragms for it, or find another set of carbs to fit it under the 300 bucks I was willing to spend on them.

So feel free to try it out, if they aren't extremely torn up, it should patch them up just fine for you.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks for replying..yea ive read a few threads in regards to repairing them..i want to keep this bike for awhile and plan on riding it to work. i dont know if i could sleep at night knowing that i patched them only. believe me sounds tempting especially now that im trying to keep things on a budget. i found some diaphragms on ebay for cheap. i believe there through JBM industries..here is a link for the ebay listing. i just came back from home depot and bought a digital caliper since they recommend to measure diaphragm groove in order to tell which ones you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330930258260...84.m1423.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by Jetblack View Post
    Well, man that can be a tough one without having numbers. Depending on the carb new diaphragms are not fucking cheap either or easy to find, in some cases it's best to get different carbs as it will come out cheaper believe it or not... may still have to clean them and shit but make sure the diaphragms are good first.

But I'll give you a little tip, on repairing them. I conduct a lot of experiments and I've repaired a diaphragm before, it worked fine up until I sold it and as far as I know the guy never had issues with it after.

Here's what I did to repair it. There's this shit called liquid electrical tape; I taped the tear shut on one side with scotch tape, then painted a dab of liquid electrical tape on the non taped side tear then used a piece of wax paper wax side down to flatten the liquid tape, set it aside and let it cure up for over 24 hours, peeled the tape off first then the wax paper second.

It held up fine for the 3 months I rode it before selling it. I just couldn't source any diaphragms for it, or find another set of carbs to fit it under the 300 bucks I was willing to spend on them.

So feel free to try it out, if they aren't extremely torn up, it should patch them up just fine for you.
    Last edited by VV760; 06-19-2013 at 5:24 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mikuni left.jpg   mikuni right.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

You have BS34 carbs. Go with JBM industries over Mikes. They have better quality.

Get Adobe Flash player

+1

BS34's, see JBM first for a replacement.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks fellas.. i will be putting the order off ebay tomorrow. are they pretty hard to put on, i was thinking of buying them assembled with the needle already but they were almost triple the price

Share This