CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Just put old style fat bob tanks on and have huge gap in front

Ok fellas I know I'm new here and I haven't properly introduced myself but that will come next. My problem is that I have an ultima 200 series rigid frame and I just bought the old style fatbob tank mounts for it since the po decided to hack off the original mounts. But my question is when I install the tanks onto this frame and stand in front of the bike it just looks like a huge tunnel gap I between the tanks where they sit over top of the frame. Is this normal. I will get some pics uploaded of them on there so I can show you what I'm talking about. It just seems like there should be less of a void in there to me. Thanks to any replys

Get Adobe Flash player

By the way I did buy the quick mount for these tanks so that I could install them on the frame

Get Adobe Flash player

Are you talking about the gap that traditionally accommodates the dash or what?

Get some pictures.

Get Adobe Flash player

That's how they are. Dash usually covers the gap.

Got the same frame and same gap in front, not only looks like shit but I wanted to keep water out of my electrical. I bought some abs plastic from ebay 1/16 inch 8"x 12" for $4.40 free shipping and removing the right tank made a cardboard template and transfered it to the asb. Well I cut a slit for the frame support to finesse it in there and with Mama's blow dryer molded such a pretty piece I should patent it. I'm currently working on a tank bib out of the same stuff with 50 yr old buttons from my late father's Chicago police leather. Roll one up and get creative

If the gap is between the frame and the rounded front of the tanks you can sometimes bend the top ear out, or could grind the casting narrower so they close up some.

Get Adobe Flash player

some pictures of what you have & what your fighting would help us find you an answer,..
    there are so many frames out there & a shed load of different fatbob tanks to choose from without visuals it's hard to know what you have

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Pebhvac View Post
    Got the same frame and same gap in front, not only looks like shit but I wanted to keep water out of my electrical. I bought some abs plastic from ebay 1/16 inch 8"x 12" for $4.40 free shipping and removing the right tank made a cardboard template and transfered it to the asb. Well I cut a slit for the frame support to finesse it in there and with Mama's blow dryer molded such a pretty piece I should patent it. I'm currently working on a tank bib out of the same stuff with 50 yr old buttons from my late father's Chicago police leather. Roll one up and get creative
    Post a picture of that. Id like to see what you did

Get Adobe Flash player

Remember the tabs must not be under bending load or they crack off (with or without causing a leak) after the bolts are tightened. It usually happens after riding a while rather than immediately.

Shim as necessary because many such tanks have been damaged by bikers who didn't know to shim them. Also make sure the inside of the tanks clear the frame because some aftermarket tanks require beating to fit.

Share This