Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AMFshovelheads
    • Dec 2012

Dell'Orto Jetting for Shovel/Pan

I recently bought a Dell'Orto carburetor which I intend to use on my shovelhead. It came off of a KTM dirt bike so it will require some rejetting in order to use on my bike (but not too much). Once set up right, they are said to work really well on shovels and pans (plus they look cool and you don't see them on every bike like S&S carbs).

I bought a Dell'Orto PHM 38 BD1 which works for 74 ci engines. That model comes with an accelerator pump and the stock jetting isn't too far off. Here's a little jetting guide that I found online:

Stock Jet:
    60 starter, 60 idle, 165 main, 260 emulsion, needle K4, 60/5 throttle slide, 38 pump

Harley Jet: 74ci
    60 starter, 50 idle, 145 main, 265 emulsion, needle K4, 60/5 throttle slide, 38 pump

Doesn't look too bad, huh? Drop idle and main and increase emulsion and you're pretty much good to go. V-twin has an adapter for bolting the carb to your OEM manifold and one for your air cleaner (I'll probably go for a trumpet intake anyways).
    I'll try to update the thread once I have it jetted and running.
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

Neet
    Post pics, please

Comment

• easyspeed
      • Dec 2010

I have a PHM38 on my 74" shovel. It's a finicky carb. The reason you see S&S carbs on everything is because they work well and are truly easy to set up. The problem with mine is I have it close, but it still runs rich and it's a pain in the ass to kick start.

Do you have an intake for it or an adaptor? Parts for these carbs are not the easiest to find. I use a motoguzzi site, I forget the name.Next time I pull the carb off, I check which jets n such are in it.

Comment

• easyspeed
        • Dec 2010

this is where I go to get parts.

Comment

• 3rdDegree
          • Nov 2012

I run PHM 38 on my 76 XLCH and it is a one kicker. It does tend to run a little on the rich side, but I have a S&S super B with accelerator pump on a 75 XLCH and think the Dellorto is just as good. It did take me a while to get it setup and dialed in decent, but two prime kicks, two or three twists of the throttle to give it a little squirt and it fires up first kick every damn time.

Comment

• AMFshovelheads
            • Dec 2012

easyspeed,
            which exact model are you running on your bike? BD1, SD1, ND1, ...? they all have a different jetting but the BD1 is most likely the best for shovels or pans.
            I'd say you have to drop main and idle jet on most Dell'Ortos since those were designed for sportsbikes so they run a little richer than you need for Harleys.

Comment

• easyspeed
              • Dec 2010

It is a phm38- ns....? I don't know what the suffix actually means on these carbs. I've tried to replace the pilot a couple of times. Within 1 size and it runs way lean. I can only guess that the pilot in it has been drilled out or something. It's not terrible, but I'm pretty sure its the pilot making it run rich low. Thats why its a bitch to start.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

If you are considering running a traditional "Triumph" style filter housing be aware it may be restrictive for that application.

You could come up with something similar which would flow much more air. A couple of round aluminum plates separated by standoffs through-bolted with locknuts and trapping a round K&N filter (Uni sock filters melt and burn quickly if a backfire lights them up and turn into dust with age) would work well.

Comment

• AMFshovelheads
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by easyspeed
                  It is a phm38- ns....?
                  just looked up the factory jetting of that model:
                  main 145, idle 50, throttle 60/5, emulsion AB 265, needle K4, starter 60, pump 38

the second letter in NS stands for
                  S - "Sinistra" - "left" in Italian - Left hand idle mixture and idle speed screws.

or
                  D - "Destra" - "right" in Italian - Right hand idle mixture and idle speed screws.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;