CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 63-70 rear axle parts, having some spacing issues

i hung up my 650 for a couple years to finish up another bike build but now am back to it.
    before i put it away the rear tire was pulling into the chain, regardless of adjustment. i put new bearings in it, and used what spacers were there but now it seams like stuff is missing. i put the speedo delete piece on there that lowbrow sells, but when i go to tighten everything up it seams, to me at least, that i'm squeezing the frame in too much. its a hardtail. so does anyone have a nice picture of the spacers and washers and what order they go in?

tanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Was gonna try taking a picture of the page for ya, but this would he more helpful. There are tons of manuals for download here http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Repair/Repair.htm
    I've downloaded all of them and keep them on a flashdrive for easy storage.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks, yeah i've grabbed all those already, i'm just getting a brain scramble when i look at that though, i need like a preschool level picture of the actual pieces. the book can be deceiving on the size and shape of those parts

Get Adobe Flash player

I know what ya mean. Sometimes those old drawings cross your eyes.
    Just a thought, you have a spacer under the Speedo delete cover and under the brake anchor plate right? I'd check there for correct fitment.
    Pull the wheel. Load up the axle with washers on both sides of hub. Crank down the nut. Wheel should free spin even if you tighten the hell out of the axle nut.
    Good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks, if i tighten the inner axle nuts it will bind the wheel so it wont roll free, so i'm looking for something between them i assume.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

often times people change out the bearings for sealed bearings and it changes a bunch of stuff, you don't need all the dist covers and grease caps, so you end up with different bearing spacing.

you need to check the bearing center spacer tube and make sure it touches both bearing centers and make up custom spacers so when you tighten up the inner axle nuts otherwise when you will push the centers out of the bearings and it locks up the wheel.

Get Adobe Flash player

Are the flats in the axel plate slot? Easy to pinch everything

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks all of ya, i did go with sealed bearings this time around, never considered the change in that, and i'll check that and where the flats are in the morning. also i'll measure the frame width before i tighten and draw it in, maybe i need a longer axle. the hardtail is a bolt on 70's model so i may be lookin at some off dimensions

Get Adobe Flash player

On my old one . The axle adjusters went on the inside of the axle plates.
    So they were between the hub & the axle plate.
    Not on the outside of the axle plate as factory.
    Your might be the same ?

Get Adobe Flash player

the width at the axle plates of your hard tail should be the same width as the axle plates on a swing arm.

Maybe what you really need is a new hard tail.
    Last edited by Torch; 05-08-2013 at 8:16 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

ok i took it all apart, and heres some pics of whats in there. the right side inner bearing grease cup is still in there, should i take that out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130508_195941.jpg   20130508_200010.jpg   20130508_200206.jpg   20130508_200529.jpg   20130508_200557.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
    ok i took it all apart, and heres some pics of whats in there. the right side inner bearing grease cup is still in there, should i take that out?
    Wow Mike,

Wheel bearings can be a bitch, sometimes you just take it apart and it won't go back together.

All I can is you need to load one side and drop in the center bearing spacer tube and then look in there and see where the bearing needs to be positioned so that the bearing center is resting on the center tube, then you need to load in whatever spacers you need to get it positioned that way and tightened down.
    Just remember, any space between the tube and the bearing will cause the center of the bearing to be pushed out when you tighten the bearing lash nuts.

Then you need to custom make up whatever size spacers you need to get the right width in the axle plates.

In my experience it's not a mater of being "Book correct", but more of being "common sense correct" to work right.

Get Adobe Flash player

well its all straightened out now, and like you said there is no set way, i just had to keep assembling and checking, the tube was ok but i had to remove some of the grease cups and covers, make up a washer to fit on the inner brake side and now its all good. thanks for the learnin

Share This