Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clint
    • Jan 2010

Question about wheel spacers.

Im building my first bike, and Im learning as i go here.. I don't have all that much local help so i feel a bit over my head from time to time. And thats why I'm asking this question and hope someone can point me in the right direction. How would i go about making wheel spacers? like how to get correct measurements, what kind/size of metal, can i find long spacers that i can just cut down etc? this is assuming I can get it all done with only a chop saw, tape measurer and bench grinder.

I feel like this is a very important part as far as safety and the over all ride is concerned, so i just want to make sure i doit right the first time.

any input is really appreciated
    Attached Files
  • BillySlicks
    • Sep 2009

cheapest low budget way is measure your axle diameter.
    go to your local metal shop, buy some steel tubing with the same inner diameter, hope they have some off cuts so you dont have to end up with 3 feet of tubing.
    Stop b the local hardware store on the way back grab a pipe cutter.
    go home measure the length you need, mark off the pipe and cut it with the pipe cutter.
    Now you have yourself some workable ghetto spacers.

failing that make friends with a guy who owns a lathe and buy him beer,,,,

Comment

• concreteguy
      • Feb 2010

PVC tubing is a good way to go to get your measurments dialed in and after that move onto the material that you are going to use. A good square, file and a hacksaw will do if you take your time.

Comment

• tobiism
        • Aug 2009

If you ever feel like bringing your roller up to Phx we could measure everything out and cut some spacers on my lathe.
        Matt
        480 358 5558
        Let me know if you need any help.

Comment

• nobattfxr
          • Jan 2010

Take Tobiism up on his offer.

You can do it with a square and a hacksaw/file combo, but if you aren't fairly adept, it's gonna take you as long as driving to P-nix. Errors made while using this technique can be hard to find, wheel bearing probs, tire wear probs, brake probs.

I doubt Matt can confine himself to spacers so you'll get all kinds of stuff accomplished while your there.

I think he does drink beer

Comment

• MrCrown
            • Jul 2009

make sure ou use seamless tubing for your spacers. If you use DOM, you'll need to bore out the centre to get the right ID.

my .02

Comment

• KrOwN
              • Aug 2009

get some measurements and have one of the people on here fab u some

Comment

• TimB1640
                • Nov 2009

can brass be used for spacers?

Comment

• billybiltit
                  • Aug 2009

brass should be fine,i built the ones for mcgoos bike out of aluminum and most are built from alu.as well.
                  you might go the pvc route to establish the oal(over all length)and then me or someone else can spin some out.hth,

leon

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;