Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riderinthewind
    • Oct 2010

1,000cc XL jugs on 900cc XL cases?

I know they bolt on, but to me that isn't enough. I want to know, if there is anything extra that needs to be done when running the top end off of a 70's vintage 1,000cc XL on the cases of a '69 XLCH? And yes, I know to use pistons that fit the 1,000 not the 900.

But seriously, is there anything more than just bolting the top end onto the case that needs to be done?

It looks good, but I learned long ago, that what looks good may not work right. So I would appreciate any advice on this one.

• ironhead86
    • Feb 2011

if your 1000cc jugs bolt right on to your 900cc cases then someone has all ready.done the hard shit for you. last time i came across this. you had to pull the studs weld em shut and re drill and tap for the 1000cc jugs. a base gasket comparrison shows the same thing. or maybe they are 1000cc cases. somewhere of a vin in h3 i think.it was.

Comment

• dirtbag
      • Aug 2010

Yea 1000 jugs do not bolt on 900 case

Comment

• eric123
        • Feb 2010

Don't 72 and E73 jugs have the earlier 900 stud spacing?

Comment

• riderinthewind
          • Oct 2010

well then it seems I have just lucked out. Because the top end and cases came from two different sources in two different counties. And as you can see in the pic, the top ends went on without a problem. Damn, I don't usually get that lucky.

Thanks Guys.

Comment

• ironhead86
            • Feb 2011

the 72 early 73 jugs are still 1000cc but the heads are different and so is the bolt pattern. The fire ring is taller on them verse your late jugs and smaller bolt pattern but i cant remember on the case bolt pattern.

Comment

• motorick
              • Nov 2011

Looks like you have a set of 1000 cases there.

Comment

• monkeyoflove
                • Jul 2010

69 XLCH cases would not have had the starter support on them

Comment

• xllance
                  • Apr 2024

Yeah I agree, you have later cases. It looks like the VIN # area on the case has been ground off. You might want to check into that before you go too far.

Comment

• ironhead86
                    • Feb 2011

vin number how can you see that! Danm eagle eyes. Well its got a starter hump but it has the older oil pump so its 72-76?? If the papers match then whats the problem.. Ha j.k it will should have one hit marks. No double punches.

Comment

• riderinthewind
                      • Oct 2010

Bogus vin on the cases

I had a couple of friends who are heavy into Ironheads take a look, and then the DMV confirmed it. The cases had been ground down and bogus VIN stamped into them. I appreciate all the advice. It looks like I am going back to the other cases I have, and use those as the foundation for the build.
                      The VIN that is on these cases doesnt even fit in with Harleys way of laying out VINs back in the 60s.
                      Live and learn I guess. I'll be using what I can from these cases, and selling what I dont need. Either way, it is going to be a good build when it is done.

Thanks again!!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;