The Ultimate Sportster Question Thread. To the MAX!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boneseauc
    • Sep 2014

Ah shit, my bad. Also, agreed. I have spent days troubleshooting a sportster that wouldn't start, just to find out that the vacuum line that runs from the petcock had a small crack in it.

Comment

• Skjoll
      • Oct 2018

sourcing a DIY oil bag

FWIW I was looking for scrap steel to make an oil bag for my Sporty HT project and came across an old Cherry Bomb M-80 muffler in the workshop that measures 5" X 10.5", just the right size to gut and make a 3 qt tank out of. It even has nicely rounded ends... not bad for 'free'.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.gif
Views:	1
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1305772

Comment

• scottiemcdoogle
        • Aug 2018

Hey guys. I’m building a chopper from an 81 ironhead and I need some advice on the brakes.

I have a caliper from a 2000 xlh, which would have had a 5/8 bore master cylinder, and my original master cylinder which is a 3/4 I believe. Is it possible to get these two to work together? I found this on JP cycles and it has the right fittings, banjo on one end and a threaded nut on the other, but it’s kind of pricey.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because the brakes are really kicking my ass. Thanks guys.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Skjoll
          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by scottiemcdoogle
          ... I have a caliper from a 2000 xlh, which would have had a 5/8 bore master cylinder, and my original master cylinder which is a 3/4 I believe. Is it possible to get these two to work together?...
          I wouldn't use a MC with a larger bore, it'll make the brake feel 'wooden' and difficult to modulate. If anything I'd go one size smaller than stock. It will result in slightly more lever travel but more leverage, less pull effort and much better feel to apply the brakes without suddenly locking them up. Here's a chart I've been using for more than 20 years and I have one-finger brakes in most situations... only two fingers are necessary in emergency situations.

Comment

• scottiemcdoogle
            • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Skjoll
            I wouldn't use a MC with a larger bore, it'll make the brake feel 'wooden' and difficult to modulate. If anything I'd go one size smaller than stock. It will result in slightly more lever travel but more leverage, less pull effort and much better feel to apply the brakes without suddenly locking them up. Here's a chart I've been using for more than 20 years and I have one-finger brakes in most situations... only two fingers are necessary in emergency situations.
            I’m sorry I should have mentioned this is for the back brake, I won’t be running a front brake.

Also I don’t see a chart, I don’t think it posted.

Comment

• Skjoll
              • Oct 2018

The words "Here's a chart" is a URL link to a page on the Vintage Brake website... click it, it's safe, really. But it doesn't matter if it's the front or rear brake, you'll want better lever feel and controllability... especially if you're going to rely on just a rear brake which is easier to lock up and skid which means longer braking distances.

Comment

• scottiemcdoogle
                • Aug 2018

Doh! I see it now. I’ll check it out, thanks!

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                  • Sep 2011

Not going to start a new thread for this. Stock Sporty 883 with stock tank. Tank has vent line to atmosphere which starts under the cap. If I run a vented cap, I should be able to plug the tank vent, correct? Or do I need to maintain both vents?

Comment

• MariaHiggins
                    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by CRFyou
                    You can go ahead and hold their hands and make sure their caviar comes from the Black Sea, and their urine comes out 95% Champagne.
                    It is very important to have a good caviar provider. I tried https://fishandcaviar.com/product-ca.../black-caviar/ recently. And I do not want to change it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;