CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: fxr question

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default fxr question

bought an 84 fxr (EVO not shovel) and drained primary and it ended up draining entire engine in minutes. is this normal? i thought the oil lines may be ran wrong because both oil cooler lines run into oil pump housing but I've had an ironhead and evo sporty so new to BT's. anybody have a diagram on running oil lines on my setup? 84 evo, 2 oil lines going into primary, both cooler lines going into oil pump housing. may not be stock setup because have S&S cases, thanks in advance, help a brother out.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyFist View Post
    bought an 84 fxr (EVO not shovel) and drained primary and it ended up draining entire engine in minutes. is this normal? i thought the oil lines may be ran wrong because both oil cooler lines run into oil pump housing but I've had an ironhead and evo sporty so new to BT's. anybody have a diagram on running oil lines on my setup? 84 evo, 2 oil lines going into primary, both cooler lines going into oil pump housing. may not be stock setup because have S&S cases, thanks in advance, help a brother out.
    hmm, my fxr has no hoses going to the primary....originally there was an oil pipe that ran from the oil pump to the primary for the drive chain.... mine has four hoses from the oilbag to the engine... if you google FXR oil hose diagram you will find one there, if you cannot find that let me know.. I can email you a copy of mine....as for oil in the primary, mine is dry (belt drive w/dry clutch) if there is oil in my primary I got trouble.

capn

Get Adobe Flash player

if i remember right, and somebody correct me if im wrong, 84 was a transition year where they were still using the shovelhead primary/engine oil scavenging system where they were connected and used the same fluids to lube both. Some bikes during the 84/85 have different primarys, mainshafts and wet or dry clutch

Get Adobe Flash player

Default fxr oil ?

wet clutch (3 post). capnfred referred the diagram i needed. also i filled the primary and now even after adjusting clutch and cable puttin into gear makes the bike lurch and cut off. I'm thinking the clutches swelled up but want to hear what the experts have to say. the primary didnt have fluid in it but the lines are ran to lube the primary without holding fluid... any takers

Have you run the bike since owning it?

Did the bike wet sump into the primary some how?

Clutch swell?? What's that?

Oil cooler should be in series unless there is something odd going. That means normally it should go Engine/filter/cooler/oil bag/Engine. Off the oil pump you should have a breather, inflow, outflow???

Can you post a pic of what you have?

The best thing you can do is go buy a factory manual.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by panheadpete View Post
    Have you run the bike since owning it?

Did the bike wet sump into the primary some how?

Clutch swell?? What's that?

Oil cooler should be in series unless there is something odd going. That means normally it should go Engine/filter/cooler/oil bag/Engine. Off the oil pump you should have a breather, inflow, outflow???

Can you post a pic of what you have?

The best thing you can do is go buy a factory manual.
    bike ran when bought. oil cooler lines were rubbed through and leaking so i replaced em. after doing that I was going to change the primary oil but it was dry so i filled it.

clutch swelling. i was guessing the friction plates absorbed some of the oil. any info if this is possible would be appreciated.

i will try to post a pic later but its a rats nest of oil lines under the bike. i have the manual on my computer but this bike is put together from different years so I'm still trying to figure it out.

Get Adobe Flash player

Would it be possible for him to just remove all the oil lines going to and from the primary and plug or cap any holes? Then just run it like the later model harleys? Engine, tranny, and primary oil all separate?

Get Adobe Flash player

to Slippyfist, still looking for my diagram, but fully understand your angst regarding your frankenbike, I too have one, at first I overthought everything, then once I figured things out a little bit this became my mantra: "The MOco has never made anything sophisticated, other than cosmetics, the basic design of the motorcycle has not changed." Once I started thinking this way it becomes very obvious... Regarding the oil system, there is no direct connection between the primary case and the oil bag. There is a small line that goes from the oil pump to primary to lube the chain, the oil system on the evo is as follows:

I have an oil cooler on mine, it is in series with the oil filter...

The oil tank has three nipples, one of them feeds from the bottom of the tank, the other two feed to the top of the tank above the oil level. The feed nipple has a hose going to the inlet to the oil pump, from outlet of the oil pump it goes through the filter, then cooler, than back to the tank, the other big hose is the vent from the engine to the tank... its really very simple.... The routing is up to you... just make sure that the oil lines do not contact any hot surfaces, nor chafe against anything. again my primary is totally dry, so there are no oil lines between the pri and oil system. Yours may have small lines... a few questios,

what is the VIN
    Do you have a chain primary, or a belt primary..
    can you post a couple of pics...

sorry I cannot find the diagram I thought I had.... hope this helps....

remember that HD has never made anything sophisticated, other than the electronic fuel inj. and ignition even the new engines are still bassically the same as the pan/shovel/evo.... not much has changed over the past 100 years.... some folks may take exception to what I say... but that is their right .... just my .02

capn

Get Adobe Flash player

Default got it

thanks for all the replies. it turns out i had two lines swapped (i'm sending that bill to miller brewing co). as for the clutch when i filled the primary the oil gummed up the clutches. i pulled them out and had to pry them apart. anyway its up and running and i'm a much happier person.

Get Adobe Flash player

Slippy, good job, I know it feels good to figure it out and get your scoot back on the road, most of the time its something pretty easy. One of the rules of troubleshooting, whether its a sophisticated defense computer system or a vaccum cleaner ...step back and ask this question, what was the last thing you did before it quit working right....in close to 60 years of fixin stuff I learned that if you put something together the way the engineers designed it with the correctly working parts, it will work....so again pat yourself on the back... good job!

capn

Share This