Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Z444CH
    • Jan 2013

98 Sportster lighting frustration...

Okay so...I just finished moving the speedo down on the left of the tank with the autometer bracket. I had to clip 3 wires to get them all around the trees and routed cleanly. Now I have it all wired back up exactly the way it was before I started, but things dont seem to be quite right. With the key in the acc position, I only get the backlight of the speedo, and dummy lights, but no headlight/taillight/turn signals. The blinkers also no longer work front or rear. As far as I can recall, everything should come on in the acc position, no? Once I turn the key to the on position, I get headlight, taillight, front turn signals, but no rears. I have no idea what could have happened seeing as it has been put back together the same way it was. I have checked all bulbs and connections and everything seems okay. This is my first bike and Ive never done any kind of wiring so Im kinda flying blind learing as I go. If any of you yoda types out there have any info to pass my way it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Stlmikie
    • Jan 2013

Did you unhook the battery before you started cutting wires?

Comment

• Z444CH
      • Jan 2013

Nope! The battery was completely dead so I didnt really think to. I hooked up the charger just to check it out, then went and replaced the battery but it made no difference.

Comment

• Z444CH
        • Jan 2013

What damage could be done from clipping wires with the battery connected? Like I said before, Im new to this so bear with me.

Comment

• Acosi151
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Z444CH
          What damage could be done from clipping wires with the battery connected? Like I said before, Im new to this so bear with me.
          Blown fuses or cooked breaker from shorting the circuit with your cutters across two wires. You've got an EFI bike so theres a sorts of electronics on it I don't have any experience with.

Get a test light and do a google search for a wiring diagram that's appropriate for your bike. Start working backward from whatever you effed with. Isolate each function and you'll find your problem.

Comment

• Stlmikie
            • Jan 2013

That's what I was kinda thinking. Maybe tripped a breaker or blew a fuse. That's where I would start. Maybe double/triple check you connections. Also check to make sure you have no shorts to ground.

Originally posted by Acosi151
            Blown fuses or cooked breaker from shorting the circuit with your cutters across two wires. You've got an EFI bike so theres a sorts of electronics on it I don't have any experience with.

Get a test light and do a google search for a wiring diagram that's appropriate for your bike. Start working backward from whatever you effed with. Isolate each function and you'll find your problem.

Comment

• Z444CH
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Acosi151

Its actually carbed not EFI so I dont think there sort of additional electronics. I will check the breakers. I did pull the fuse box and they all look good so that will be the next step. Another thing I was noticing was that the wires going into the connection in the back of the speedo seemed that they could possibly be a bit loose? Any chance that they could have come disconnected from the pins?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;