CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: DNA Springer?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default DNA Springer?

How many are running a DNA Springer and what can you tell us about the quality and ride with this front end? I have a '77 Shovel in the works and I really want to do a springer front on this build. I have an Ultima Bobber frame and all the parts I need, but I want to use the springer instead of the wide glide. Any glaring problems? This will be a bike that will get ridden a lot, so if there are any fast wearing areas, let me hear it. Hey, thanks in advance and this site is great. Glad I found it!

Scudder

Get Adobe Flash player

I ran one on my last bike. Ugly, ugly. But it rode fine, never had any issues with it.

Get Adobe Flash player

This was in the forum also about two months ago... I run one, no problems, and rides great. I'm not even repulsed by the looks LOL.

Get Adobe Flash player

No problems with mine, but I didn't put a lot of miles before I swapped it out. It did seem to make a lot of noise, more so than an OEM springer. I don't know how it would compare to other aftermarket springers.

At first I liked the look, but I grew to hate it, and came to a point that I couldn't stand to look at it any longer and took it off. Thats just me.
    Last edited by PanShovelGeo; 02-15-2010 at 2:38 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

IT'S NOT UGLY!!!!!!

It's just special...

Runs great but springs do chatter a bit.

Get Adobe Flash player

Other than pretty noisy, and perhaps chrome QC they are a no frills springer, three piece front leg. Don't know how they hold up to real miles though, we have done them for customers, but I don't see them ride the poop out of their bikes. You can get a great deal on US indy built custom springer made by blacksunshine customs, he is a CC member and makes his own stuff, decent prices. Has a website.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm sorry, but I don't get the ugly part. I've seen them and thought they looked ok? Why the ugly?

Get Adobe Flash player

I didn't care for the part that bridges the top of the front legs. I stuck a bag on it to make it go away. Then the way the rear legs go from round to flat about half way down is another thing that drove me nuts.

The main thing for me was the look didn't work on my bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

I just ordered a +2 DNA a couple days ago. I would have bought a better one if I had a couple grand laying around but for $400 what do you expect. I heard they're good for the price so I'll give it a try.

Get Adobe Flash player

yeah I dont get the "ugly" part people talk about. . . sure, it's not a Denvers springer.

I have run one for the past year. Put 4000 miles on it without a problem. I dig it. here it is: pretty ugly huh?

Get Adobe Flash player

Oddly enough I like the half round to flat rear leg, but everyone has their own sense of taste. I rode one forever and had no problems, even crashed on that bike bad and the welds didnt break, just bent the metal!

Before

After

Get Adobe Flash player

I think it is the squared off front legs, from the wrong angle they don't look right to some tastes. Like everything, some love, some hate. That Black Sunshine Customs springer was something like $700 +/-....not that much for a full custom build. $$$$ jerispringer front ends look great, but I can't see a couple of grand for a set of forks either.

Get Adobe Flash player

Black Sunshine Customs. Super nice folks out of Illinois. I've seen both up close, and the difference is night and day.

BUT, I've never ridden on one...

Get Adobe Flash player

here's my EVO...I've been running the DNA with no issues at all. I agree there are better looking springers out there but if you have a budget I don't think you can beat it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDefcon View Post
    everyone has their own sense of taste.
    I agree 100% How does the saying go? Opinions are like......

Boston

Quote Originally Posted by PanShovelGeo View Post
    I agree 100% How does the saying go? Opinions are like......
    Exactly...There is one thing you can't argue...OPINIONS!

If you like the looks, you can't beat the price and from that accident pic that was just posted, that should say something about the welds.

I prefer the 45 Depot replica Springers. They cost around $1200. There are other nice ones out there also, Spartan, Freddie Hernandez, if you can find one....Ron Finch...maybe a few others.

But again, let your wallet, your personal taste and the testimony of all those who care to share their opinions on what they know 'cause they either owned a DNA or currently still own one. You'll figure it out. Good luck to 'ya!

Boston

Get Adobe Flash player

I have about 15,000 miles on one. I have the bitch tightened down as much as possible and still can't get the springs to stop chatterring. Bugs the shit out of me. I'm looking to replace with a narrowed Paughco.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey thanks for that USA made springer post though... I mean it. I actually will make sure I use them the next time, even though I have no complaints with my DNA, I would MUCH RATHER support a working man here in this country.

Get Adobe Flash player

I think when people say that they are ugly, they are comparing them to the classy, mechanical look of an original Harley springer. But whatever, to each his own. I rode a DNA springer for a while. We ride the shit out of our bikes too. I didn't mind it for the first couple thousand miles, but slowly it started getting sketchier and sketchier. Noisy, bouncy, just cheap feeling. I eventually put a narrow glide on and I couldn't be happier. If anyone is getting DNA springers because of the price, then I would recommend going the hydraulic route. Now if money is not an option and you want one for the look, then right on.

Get Adobe Flash player

I like mine id post a pic but for the insert pic button is messed up!

Share This