Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farnie
    • Feb 2012

Re-Build / Restoration Checklist(s)??

A newbie to motorcycle work would like to know if anyone has a Re-Build / Restoration Checklist that they have used for a project?

Maybe you can post complete or partials (specific to a certain part of a build ie; chassis, carbs, engine, etc.) of what you have here, and I'll work to edit and combine them into a comprehensive checklist to share.

Thanks,

Farnie
  • pTc
    • Jun 2010

Pretty much every time I ride after some repair I do a mental checklist of every part that I touched. Flying down the road usually makes me double or triple think stuff like, "did I get that compensator nut torqued enough?" The I imagine the part loosening further and further. The whole bike is going to grenade any minute now!

New tires ride different that the old bald ones. Sometimes that makes me invent problems too. Spokes loose? Out of alignment? Spacer left out? Bearings shot?

Are you asking for something specific?

Comment

• Brendden
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by pTc
      Pretty much every time I ride after some repair I do a mental checklist of every part that I touched. Flying down the road usually makes me double or triple think stuff like, "did I get that compensator nut torqued enough?" The I imagine the part loosening further and further. The whole bike is going to grenade any minute now!

New tires ride different that the old bald ones. Sometimes that makes me invent problems too. Spokes loose? Out of alignment? Spacer left out? Bearings shot?

Are you asking for something specific?
      I rememebr when I tore up my cam and lifters and my oil pump. replaced it all, and every time my bike dies it scares me.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
        • Apr 2010

restore

Originally posted by Farnie
        A newbie to motorcycle work would like to know if anyone has a Re-Build / Restoration Checklist that they have used for a project?

Maybe you can post complete or partials (specific to a certain part of a build ie; chassis, carbs, engine, etc.) of what you have here, and I'll work to edit and combine them into a comprehensive checklist to share.

Thanks,

Farnie
        Don't know what kind of scoot your restoring, many, many comprehensive books on it. If it's a big twin had, palmers book is about as good as they get. 100 point resto jale is big bucks, and time ass consuming.
        good luck with your build.

Comment

• Jetblack
          • Apr 2024

Whenever I trailer something home here's my list of what I do.

I used to get the bike going first, but just so I know whats going on in the motor, I tear it all down and just rebuild. Cuts out all the guess work of whats happening or might happen in there.

So...I crack open a few beers or pop a cork on a bottle of wine, then sit and stare at it with a measuring tape in hand...getting an idea of lines and how to alter them to flow with the new I get in flashes, if a tank pops into mind...I pop out the measure and pull it to see the length and tunnel and make a mental note if that will work, it goes in a chain from there...what bars will clear the tank? risers? etc. Once I have an idea of flow and lines of where its heading in my mind. I do the following:

Get a bunch of labled zip bags in different sizes
          Camera
          Masking tape
          permanet fine point marker and reg marker
          Boxes

Dissassemble every thing(still keeping design in mind...will this clear that, if I hard tail what has to move etc.) In tear down; any wire disconnect gets a masking tape tag folded around it and labeled exactly where it went. Same with every nut bolt and screw except in bags labeled with what they came off of. Even if its 2 bolts they get their own bag. All of this gets boxed and labeled.

As I am disassembling, I write down anything that needs replacing if I am keeping it, and take photos of routings such as hoses cables etc. I used to not have to do any of this; but my senior moments increased and my memory has degraded enough to require it. Besides that whatever you are looking for takes less than a minute to find.

I keep it as a roller to make moving it around easier if I need to; in the mean time motor and carbs.

At this point I have a clear direction and picture of the mock up in my mind. I make a list of what needs replacing as the motor comes apart...seals, rings, bearings etc. checking all specs against the factory shop manual. Then look up the part numbers and place an order for all of that and tins. While waiting on parts, I port and polish and also polish the side covers and case or prep it for paint. By that time things start coming in, if the tins arrive first I set them on the roller in mockup nothing fastened and see if any mods need to happen, and make a mental note...if it requires more thought. While doing the motor the answer comes to me...usually while I am ball peening out my gaskets; before the cases get put on after the rebuild or while I am rebuilding/rejetting the carbs and specing the floats.

The motor and tranny all buttoned up; it or they get set aside now...I focus on the frame if I want a gas bottle etc this factory tab can stay for a mount etc. if I chose hard tail or swing, and front end...whats my rake and trail going to be what rims etc? The frame gets cleaned up and I inspect the welds, decide on what stays and goes or needs to tab and mount wise, cut and weld shit up to fit. Then put it back to a roller in a full unpolished mock sans the motor. mod the tins to fit with good tight lines with a hose tapped to my wheels for the clearances I want and mark them off. This time the mock up is a hard mock up all bolted in still no motor in it. Everything must be sqaure to an imaginary centerline down the middle of the frame, is the center of the front tire the same as the center of the front fender if one is going on is that center to the rear fender...etc

If it is time to pop a cork or tab and stare at it some more; this time for paint scheme. What will flow with the lines, is this build a keeper or to be sold to someone else? Your tastes may not match a buyers and can hurt a sale or prevent one; so fuschia rims and a green flake with fuschia fish net pattern tins and tank is better left for a personal bike. Once that's sealed in mind, strip and prep, wear some gloves to keep oils off the tins etc.

When the frame is painted/powdered whatever, and your rims are done tires mounted and balanced mount them back to the final roller, time to lift the motor in and get the new belt or chain mounted. Start thinking about exhaust routing and fitment as soon as it hits the frame...if it is a custom exhaust...it's good to drop the motor in at the first hard mock up before now, so you can weld the shit up before paint.

If thats figured; then I get to the wiring...some things handy for this are: heat shrink/heat gun, liquid electrical tape, and electrical contact cleaner, solder and solder iron, UV resitant zip ties longer is better you can always cut to length, yarn and a wiring diagram. Then start deleting or making my own based on what I want don't want or required by law, if I make my own loom...I get a bunch of different colored yarn and make a mock harness, having to add a foot to 6 wires that ended up too short is a pain in the ass. If you mock with yarn you can build the whole harness in one go because the lengths between junctions and terminals will be correct from the yarn pattern.

Once the wiring loom is in place; I multi meter and test light with a shop battery all the components; if they are all good I start putting in the compentents not near the battery...coil(s) head light etc. Wire the tail light blinkers into the rear fender if thats where they attach, Get the fender(s) on in final mount get the battery box and components sealed up, pipes on, tank on. Oil should have been put in the motor after the rebuild, get some gas in the tank, hook up some jumper cables to save the fresh battery; turn the key, choke it and kick or fire it over. When it catches open the choke, idle adjust if needed, remove jumpers, button down the seat. Hop around the block, yard or whatever. Once it is warmed up dial in the carbs. Done. Then register/title/insure if I keep it; or just give the signed undated title from the PO to whomever buys it; cash on the barrelhead.

If you just want to get it going and paint the tins; drain fluids...valve adjust, clean tank/carbs, add new oil and gas, check for spark, if thats a no go trouble shoot from there. Once running do some or all of the above...less head ache to me to just do the rebuild frame off...no surprises leaving you on the side of the road. A rebuild just means regular maintenance just like a new bike.

That's my mental list; nothing escapes being rebuilt or inspected; including starter motor etc. everything comes apart and cleaned or if required replaced. I vary the order and bounce around according to mood or parts after the motor is rebuilt part...but not too far out of that order.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;