Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TuffLuckTom
    • Jan 2010

Ironhead split rocker boxes

Ok I have some free time and 3 sets of ironhead rocker boxes. One of the sets are mismatched early and late model. So Im in the process of Faux splitting them (leaving the center mount). Ive been poking around and all I can seem to find are pics of split shovel rockers. Any one have any pictures for inspiration?
  • motoguru
    • Aug 2009

While Richy was down south cutting the shit out of my frame.... I decided to "reshape" my rocker boxes. The bike was going to have a racy l...
    Last edited by motoguru; 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• JPWilliams
      • Nov 2009

try this

Motorcycle Magazine with global coverage on everything “owned” by Bikers: Customs, Choppers, Performance Parts, Technology, Road Tests, Rider Gear, Racing, Adventures, Events and the Fight to Ride Free. Get a VIP pass to our lounge at the Cantina

Last edited by JPWilliams; 02-03-2010, 2:40 PM.

Comment

• TuffLuckTom
        • Jan 2010

Thanks guys Ive got the bulk of the rough machine work done. And I don't think I have fucked em up enough so Im gonna continue... I'll post pics if they don't look like dung when I'm done. Any other pics? Im still trying to decide on a few details.

Comment

• TuffLuckTom
          • Jan 2010

This is where I stand tonight with these rocker boxes. This is the first set I have tried to do and Im taking it pretty slow.

Comment

• kromsucks
            • Aug 2009

split rocker boxes are narley

Comment

• MileHighMurdercycle
              • Dec 2009

Just curious. Is the oil passage between the 2 sides unnecessary? I noticed between all the pics, some of them were left, some were filled. If filled do you have to tap a different oil line in else where? Looks cool man.

Comment

• imtheslime
                • Aug 2009

Damn I wish I had a good mill, that looks clean! I started splitting mine with a hack-saw, file and sand paper. Is that the earlier model (shovel style) box?

MHM, More unusable I think. You have to deliver oil to the other half one way or another, once the passage is removed a new tapped hole is one way to skin it. If you don't completely split them it's difficult drilling and tapping the remaining passage hole to deliver oil.
                Last edited by imtheslime; 02-03-2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• MileHighMurdercycle
                  • Dec 2009

Hmmmm. I have access to a mill. But still sounds like something I may want to have someone else do. Sounds like a good project for next winter's tear down. I really like the look.

Comment

• TuffLuckTom
                    • Jan 2010

Yeah you have to supply oil on way or the other. I have some ideas. I may weld the oil passages up and do something different. I haven't decided yet.... I never would have dared to do this if I didnt have one ironhead project and 3 sets of rocker boxes. And this set was mismatched 1 early and one late. So Im not sure how close I can make them match. We shall see... Still alot of shaping to do!

Comment

• TuffLuckTom
                      • Jan 2010

Ok the parts guy just left so I have to go back to the paying jobs. But this is how far I have gotten. Still a long ways to go on these. Incase any one is interested. I think we ought to do a friday or saturday end of the week fabrication thread! I always like seeing the crazy skill and time guys spend on stuff. Any who check these Et eyes!

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/SuicideRide/Internet%20posting%20junk
                      /HPIM1088.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

• imtheslime
                        • Aug 2009

Nice job. IH boxes seem pretty asymetrical to begin with, it's a chore getting the split centered on the center mount hole and centered between the rocker shaft holes, but yers look killer. When my four year old saw mine she freaked out thinking I gave WALLE a lobotomy.
                        As you can see I have a ways to go.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• elTee
                          • Aug 2009

I split mine awhile back, cut off wheel & flappers & alot off elbow greese. Nothin fancy just drilled & tapped the original holes & used some 1/4" quick air fittings w/ clear hdpe, kind of cool cause i can see if they're oiling. Ive heard stories of oil leaking & box movement w/o the center bolt but I haven't had any problems. The extra credit way is to cut the whole corner off the front box & weld in a plate to mimic the contours of the rear box, those look real sweet.

Photobucket
                          Photobucket

Comment

• TuffLuckTom
                            • Jan 2010

Both of those sets are lookin really good! I just have to finish stripping the chrome and try to get rid of some more pitting. I drilled and tapped into the bottom of the rocker box for the other rockers. It may create alot of plumbing that is going to be a pain in the ass to make look clean though. And I have been dragging my feet on welding up those holes. Im not the best with Aluminum... Im also really wishing I had one of those adjustable reamers to get rid of the bur from drilling the new oil passage. I may just try to get rid of it with some fine emery cloth... But I dont know yet!

Comment

• pangeaspeed
                              • Sep 2009

tom if you want to pay for shipping i will weld em up for ya. dont know if its worth it or not but i figured i would offer.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;