Email Password

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default 77 Suzuki GS750 Build

    Well this was my first attempt at a bike, first attempt at a hardtail, etc. it came out ok but I just finished up my second bike a 65 BSA which came out great and makes this thing look like crap. So I decided to cut it up and re do the frame, tank, etc.

    Before pic:

    Decided to cut out the triple backbone crap so I can run a nicer tank

    Took off the top end to check the condition and found this

    Looks like the top end was redone recently!

    Spent some time removing the black paint that I had previously applied

    Working on cleaning up the head, think I'm going to take it and the jugs to the auto shop and have them dipped in the acid tank to clean them up nice

    Cut the fender mounts off of the fork legs and polished them up. Progress pic with one done next to the other that hasn't been started

    Started shaving down the top tree on my bandsaw

    Plans are to redo the frame with a single backbone and seat post to clean it up a bit and bending up my own hardtail that will be a 2" stretch from stock. Old setup was stretched 5" and i thought it was too long with too much empty space between the motor and the rear wheel. Still debating on raking the neck a bit.

    Planning on running an old mustang tank I have laying around possibly molding it into the frame and running a king and queen seat.

  2. #2


    good start, looking forward to seeing some progress. in the first itteration where did you have all the electronics at?

  3. #3


    Finished up polishing the legs and the top tree

    On the old build I had the coils under the tank, all other electronics hidden under the seat.

  4. #4


    The progress is looking good man; it's nice to find a surprise like that in the top end...usually it''s the wrong kind of surprise

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2012


    Incredible progress.

  6. #6


    No progress on the bike but I decided to build a frame jig instead of half assing it this time around.

    Picked up some 3x2 and 2x2 tube from the local metal supply place and bought a pre made kit from which included cones, neck fixture, axle plate fixture, and some pre cut clamps for the uprights. I settled on this kit because it is a bolt together setup which will allow me to break down the jig when I'm not using it.

    Drilled some holes through the 2x2 bases and welded on some nuts to give me leveling capability since my garage floor is not exactly level. Went to weld and found out im out of gas so I had to switch to flux core wire no laughing at my awesome flux welds

    Bolted everything together. Have to give kudos to Travis at chop source kit came with all hardware, looks great and is very solid. I was kind of worried with a bolt up kit about the potential of fit up issues but everything fit and seems to hold great.

    Have to wait until next week to get the tube since the supplier did not have 1-1/4" .120 wall Dom in stock and I had to special order it. The stock GS frame tubes are an odd size between 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 and have a thin wall. I am going to have a guy from work with a lathe turn down some slugs to fit the ID of the stock frame and transition to the ID of the 1-1/4 tube that I am going to get so I can slug the bottom rail and the backbone transitions and rosette weld them together.

    Scored an old drag specialties king and queen seat o. EBay yesterday so I hope to get it next week. Going to narrow down my old mustang tank tomorrow will post pics of the project. Also going to level out and square up the new jig and set the axle plates in place so I can get some measurements for tube to prep for bending next week when it gets here.

Share This

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Log in