CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 67 TR6r troubleshoot

Hey all,

Im new to Triumphs and got a 67 tr6 a few months ago. The problem i got yesterday was....

When trying to kickstart, its turning over half the time and the other half just a tight quiet nothing. I pull in the clutch and kicked it thru once or twice to free it. The feeling in the pedal is kinda like turning a wrench? its a little resistant. Anyone know this and how to fix? Im hoping its a clutch cable issue and perhaps its slipping and wont engage fully.
    I should add this in case it helps- when going at higher speeds recently if i pulled the clutch in to slow or downshift, it has stalled. It seems to happen if i do it abruptly, say either at higher rpm. I had it happen in 3rd and 4th.
    Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Your clutch springs in the basket could be too loose allowing the clutch plates to slip. They could be worn out and slipping...

I would take the primary cover off and check.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hard to kick sounds serious to me, mechanical interference ? Worn kick starter gear ? Did you cease the engine or run it without oil ? Bent rod or valve ? Oil in the gearbox.? Primary gear binding?

The clutch either slips or dosent. If it slips tighten the nuts and it should drive. If you can't kick look inside the gearbox. If you still can't pinpoint it remove the primary chain. At least you'll know if it's the gearbox or hopefully not the engine.

Get Adobe Flash player

it kinda sounds like you have two problems,
    1. your clutch is slipping through when you kick it (and probably under hard acceleration too).
    2. you engine is starting to seize and may be tight, does it spin over freely without the plugs in there?

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't know if it relates to your problem, but I have a 68 TR6 and it gets hard to kick when it "wet sumps". This is when oil leaks into the crankcase, probably from a leaky oil pump, This causes pressure to build up below the pistons. Easy way to find out is to drop the sump plug and see how much, if any, oil comes out. Once you've drained see if it's any easier to kick.

Get Adobe Flash player

Opened up the outer cover on the gearbox and there's metal shavings in the oil. Can't see any worn teeth on the kicker mechanism. So I'm gonna open up the inner part. Any tips on getting the first nut off to remove the kick gear? All Im managing to do is turn the engine over. Also is there a gear to put it into that's best for disassembling all this or does it matter. I have the four aces vids but some parts are unsaid

Get Adobe Flash player

Jam a pry bar in the sprocket CAREFULLY !!!! Should stop the output shaft from turning so you can loosen the nut.

Select top gear and apply the rear brake to stop the shaft turning.You should be able to undo the nut easily enough.You can still select gears without the outer cover.
    It would be tightened to 45 ft-lbs torque and probably has some Loctite as well.

Share This