Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goolz
    • Sep 2012

Sporty dieing once warmed up???

2002 xlc Bike has ran AMAZING for over a year. Has bassani road rage accel coil, big sucker cleaner. Just road to mammoth from LA and back. Bike stuttered hard while in 5th almost to mammoth. Let it cool and did do it again at all not even on trip back. I thought it might be the coil going out under the heat of the long trip. So now new coil, been running fine for 2 weeks and now I let it warm up with just a bit of choke ( like always ) and when warmed up and choke is in... it ides down and down very suddenly. I adjusted the idle screw up some but this is not the problem. IS MY CARB DIRTY? DO I HAVE AND INTAKE LEAK OF SOME SORT? Is my timing screwed? I did just put the baffle back in the pipes two weeks ago because it runs so much smoother with it. How can I diagnose this myself? Thanks guys.
  • woz
    • Mar 2012

does it die out like its running out of gas? if so it could be your ignition module, same thing happened to me. test it by aiming a hair dryer or heat gun at it when the bike is cold then fire it up (thats test isnt a SURE thing)

Comment

• MrFuckingBrandon
      • Oct 2009

You might also want to test your coils.

Sent from my MB611 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• NakedRob
        • Feb 2012

woah woah woah... did you put a baffle back in and not rejet?

Jetting for open pipe + closed pipe = bad idle. Duh

If so, see my how-to on tuning your pilot here: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24364

You should also check for intake leak by spraying the manifold joints with starter fluid or wd-40 with the bike running (use choke if ya gotta)

Comment

• nunez8853
          • Apr 2024

Maybe your starter relay It happend to me a few times where I would get to riding stop put gas and then nothing had to call for help, or it would quit on me in the middle of doing 45 on the streets sometimes it wouldnt even start. its worth checking out its was a 10 dollar fix for me man, but it happens to be your ingnition module check this place out i picked up an Ig mod for 210 shipped

as with anyother place some of their stuff is cheap and others are pricey but the ignition modules are pretty ok in price man just trying to save you a few bucks

Comment

• Goolz
            • Sep 2012

Thanks so much, I am leaning towards it being a bad ignition module. it runs fine while cruising on hwy at most speeds. My bike has always idled a tad on the low side. I don't like the sound of a high idle. In the past I have removed and put back in the baffle several times. Just due to being undecided on sound vrs performance. It has been jetted for drag pipes and left at that. No jetting was changed after I added the bassani road rage 2-1. I figure the 2-1 without a baffle is the same or similar to drag pipes. Anyway I believe its a mixture of off timing, bad ignition module, and maybe dirty carb or float issue. Anything else I should have them check at the shop tomorrow? I am bummed ignition modules are not so cheap...

Comment

• cardinalgrayheart105
              • Aug 2012

my bike started doing something similar yesterday. it would run like it was running out of gas and this just started happening after about a 20 minute ride. took the carb off sprayed all the jets and took apart my accelerator pump. im guessing myne was stuck. check yours. its an easy job. myne runs great again.

Comment

• Goolz
                • Sep 2012

What did you spray them with cardinal? I have never cleaned a carb. learning all of this new. I am reading right now about the singal fire ignition module. Sounds like good stuff. I have a new accel performance coil and wondering if it will work with a single fire ignition.

Comment

• NakedRob
                  • Feb 2012

Check your plugs.

I'm guessing that since you never rejetted for two potentially very different pipes, you could have fouled your plugs by being rich or burnt some of the electrode by being too lean.

Pull your used plugs and check for:

Color
                  -black/sooty is too rich
                  -light brown is good
                  -pitted/melting is too lean

Gap
                  buy a $3 spark gap guage from the autoparts store and measure your gap
                  Last edited by NakedRob; 10-23-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Wijns07
                    • Sep 2012

Are you sure you dont have a pinched vacum line? That's what it was on mine?

Caused vapor lock in my tank and kept shutting the motor down after warm up.

just remove your gas-cap and try starting it again if it dies next time....

Comment

• Goolz
                      • Sep 2012

Actually it could be vapor lock. I just put on a tank lift and had troubles tucking all the wires back in. The lines that would be causing this are all around the carb correct? Is there a proper way to check this or I just kinda have to eye-ball it and feel around?

Comment

• nunez8853
                        • Apr 2024

I second that man check your vacume I swapped petcocks and had an empty vac line and it ran like shit, put a screw in the line to plug it up and it worked ever since.

If you put a tank lift man if i was you id take it back off and make sure nothing cut, or pinched. its work a few hours of time and could save couple hundred bucks.

and check out that site i sent you by far the most inexpensive modules I have found. trust me i spent 3 weeks searching..

there is it again ^^^^^^^^

Comment

• Wijns07
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Goolz
                          Actually it could be vapor lock. I just put on a tank lift and had troubles tucking all the wires back in. The lines that would be causing this are all around the carb correct? Is there a proper way to check this or I just kinda have to eye-ball it and feel around?
                          Just lift the tank and see if you pinched the vacum line.

That's what happened to me.

The other way is like I said, start the bike and if it dies..remove the gas cap and start it again.

If it fires right up you know that you have vapor lock

Comment

• Goolz
                            • Sep 2012

Hey nunez what ignition on that site will go with a 2002 xlc ? The site has lots of parts and not sure which ones will fit my bike.

Comment

• nunez8853
                              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Goolz
                              Hey nunez what ignition on that site will go with a 2002 xlc ? The site has lots of parts and not sure which ones will fit my bike.
                              this is what I went with, just cause its what I could afford at the time. and some buddys of mine told me to get it ( bike mechanic for 15 told me)

lets see I have a 2002 xl nothing special correct me if im wrong guys but as far as I know there is no difference mechanically the xlc is just more shine and bigger price tag.

with that being said if you have the money to spend and your going to get a new ignition module invest in a single fire set up, module coil wires plugs the whole set up.

the difference between the dual and single fire is like this( again i am no expert and anybody correct me if im worng but) single fire sparks one cylinder at a time as one fires it completes the revolution (going down and back up) then the next cylinder fires they work one at a time in the duel set up they dont work together they work against each other. single fire is better to have than duel in a performance out look.

If some one can enplane it better please do also note man currently you have a duel fire. but if your like me and not worried about going 100000000000000000000 mph then get the duel.

Again im by no means an expert if im wrong correct me.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;