CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default TECH: Paint Without Spending A Fortune

Right now is not the time to be spending a ton of dough, so after thinking a lot about it, i decided to save some money and paint my tins myself. I took a trip to my local paint store and picked up some HOK supplies, and got to work. This is my first time picking up a spray gun by the way.

doing the bodywork wasn't too painful. the welds were good, and the tank was fairly straight, even after all the cutting and welding. I used 2K high build rattle can primer as suggested by sure. its about $15 per can, and i used an entire can for both the tank and the fender.

i dug out my old easy-up tent that was about to be tossed in the trash, put up some painters plastic, and used paper drop cloth for the floor. cut a hole in one side of the plastic and duct taped an air conditioning filter over it, and did the same on the opposite wall with a floor fan. about $30 in plastic and a $3 filter.

i took a trip to Rays Auto Paint, and spent $150 on black base, clear, hardener, reducer, a few filters, and some tape.

now, i know that a really nice gun is well worth the money you spend on it, but i used a gun my dad picked up on sale at northern tool last year for under $20. it came with a 1.4 tip, and since i dont know the difference between this and a pricey pro model, i'd say this was the perfect tool for my budget paint job. the compressor i used is a small home garage model, nothing special.

laid down a base that i mixed at 1:1 paint/reducer. i only mixed enough to fill my hopper half full, and that was too much. i wouldnt mix too much at a time because you'll end up having to dump it. i keep all of my unused or old chemicals until the mobile chem recycler comes to my neck of the woods. they're always happy to take it, and it keeps it out of the gutter.

Get Adobe Flash player

i only ended up using the 1/4 plastic tape for my lines. i still may use the 1/8 stuff when i start the graphic work.

this was the coolest part. the clear mixes at 4:1 with the hardener, and the flake can be as heavy or as light as you want, depending on how much you add in. for half a hopper of the clearcoat/hardener, i added about 3 teaspoons of the flake, and it came out nice and heavy. its the small size flake, and they recommend a 1.5 tip, but my 1.4 worked just fine.

This ended up being a 2 day job, but im sure it could have been quicker if i wasnt drinking beer with my brother all day while trying to get this done, but wheres the fun in that.
    im going to wet-sand and re-apply the clear so i can get going with the graphics. i'll update with some pics in a few days.

**EDIT**

Today we wet sanded the clear coat with 1000 grit paper, cleaned the tank and applied a couple more layers of clear coat from about 6 inches away. these pix were taken after a couple hours of drying.

i got on the computer and made a stencil so i could get going on the scales...

i bought a bottle of gold auto/air-brush paint and a bottle of reducer. $14 total, and re-masked the tank so i dont muff it up with over spray.

Get Adobe Flash player

this is where a good quality air-brush comes in handy. again, this was my first time picking up an air-brush, so i expected it to come out a little sloppy. it took a couple hours to do the tank and fender.

im gonna knock the scales down a bit before i re-clear. i'll update tomorrow...

just about done...

Brian

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Great write up! Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

Sweet, thats pretty damn helpful! Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

awesome job...I'm debating whether or not I should try and tackle the paint job on my first build.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hell yeah, man. Tins look kick-ass. Color scheme really compliments the bike. Looks like you might have a new side job.

Get Adobe Flash player

that is genius!

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks for the props. i was pretty worried going into this that i would f it all up. i got advise along the way from some great painters that kept me on course.

Get Adobe Flash player

you really did a great job, man. AND you made it look easy, so now were all going to try it!

Get Adobe Flash player

am I missing something?
    wasnt this bike featured in the Horse months ago with a skinny kid with glasses and a mohawk?
    regardless, the paint turned out awesome.. and those exhaust tips are the shit.
    Cool paint booth.. I made the mistake of throwing plastic up in my shed without blowing
    all the dust out of it first before painting.. lesson learned!

Get Adobe Flash player

i posted this "how to" a while ago elsewhere, and since im new to this forum, i wanted to share it here. the guy with the mohawk was jake from ultraviolence, where my bike was built. his metal fab skills are crazy! he was shot with my bike for the horse.
    i was going for this nautical theme for my bike "the flying dutchman", and i found those carousel pipes at my local metal yard and thought they fit the bill.

Get Adobe Flash player

right on, welcome to CC!
    That bike turned out killer.. wish my first attempt at a professional paint job turned out half as well as yours did!

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks man!

Get Adobe Flash player

Ha ha. The old filter and box fan trick. Just did the same thing this week in my garage. Same idea, A/C filter and boxfan. I spent a good day cleaning the shit outta my garage. Bought 5 new tarps from Harbor Freight (about $5 each. 1 for roof, and 4 sides, and new so they were clean). Set box fan so it was blowing out my single person door (not the roll up), and just let it draw from the air inside the garage (unfinished garage so plenty of air), and blow out. I also use Gaff tape (cloth, super sticky. Better than duct tape, and cloth so more flexible. Kinda like 100mph tape for you military guys) to tape all the seams. But I fell short of getting a decent gun/ect. But I have to admit even when using rattle cans, a little extra prep can make all the difference in how it comes out. Sick scoot brotha!

Get Adobe Flash player

Great write up, great paint job, and nice bike. You really made it look easy and I am not sure if it could have turned out any better.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great job and the design is really cool. I'm now tempted to try painting my tins.

Get Adobe Flash player

great write up!bike looks killer,thanks for posting this.

leon

Get Adobe Flash player

well im stoked that this was a helpful post, and im happy to help with whatever if anyones gonna give it a go.

Share This