Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrFuckingBrandon
    • Oct 2009

Old Biker Tricks. Share some knowledge.

Coming back from AHC's Philo Beddoe Family Reunion, a buddy had a weld crack on his tank. As he and I stare at the seeping gas, our good friend and road wizard, Jeffo pipes up with this little gem.

"I heard an old biker once say that if you rub a bar of soap on it, that it should seal up....unless of course, it rains."

Thomas ran into the station. He quickly returned with a brick of Dial and rubbed into the crack. Sure as shit the leak stopped! Worked well enough to get us the last 200 miles home.

If you've got a story or old biker trick to save someone's ass on the side of the road, share it here. THESE are the stories I want to hear.
  • Shacknasty
    • Jul 2010

Once or twice a year I blow the carbon outta my motors. You can do this to a running motor that ya need to tear down for a topend job and you'll have a nice clean motor to work on. No need to scrape of those pesky carbon deposits.

With yer bike fully warmed to operating temp and running at a fast idle, simply put some water into the carb. I used a household spray bottle but I've seen it done by pouring slowly out of a Coke bottle. Just be careful and don't stick a garden hose in there or you'll hydrolock and bend a rod!

A few good sprays, rev it a little and watch the black crap shoot outta your tailpipe. Do it in front of yer neighbor's new Cadillac and see just how dirty yer motor was!

Life is short. Ride hard mofos.

Comment

• xllance
      • Apr 2024

My cousin's Ironhead had the seal between the primary and crankcase go bad about 250 miles from home. The primary kept filling up with oil from the crankcase. He stopped at a store and bought a turkey baster to suck the excess out and squeeze it back in the oil tank. He had to do it about every 40 or 50 miles but it got him home!!

Comment

• xllance
        • Apr 2024

Always carry wire cutting pliers. Dad's chain broke one time so we cut a couple of strands of barbed wire from a fence and used the wire and the broken chain to tow him home.

Comment

• Gnarly
          • Jul 2012

I've used cardboard to make temporary gaskets in a pinch and they hold up pretty good. Also alligator clips that can be pushed in a plug of a blinker or tailight make a easy test light for troubleshooting electrical on the road.

Comment

• reeferman
            • Feb 2011

Chopcult is the new old biker trick

Comment

• Dig
              • Oct 2011

I've heard the soap trick works on leaky gaskets too.

Comment

• turboboat
                • Apr 2024

old school technique for testing if your get spark. remove plug make sure it is firmly in the plug wire with left hand hold the cylinder head with right hand hold the electrode of the plug. have a friend spin the bike over. you will know if it has fire

Comment

• Jetblack
                  • Apr 2024

Blown fuse? Wrap a small bit of tinfoil around it and plug it back in.

Comment

• CoyoteUSP
                    • Mar 2011

You can set your timing (if you have points ignition) using an AM radio.

Comment

• CM
                      • Nov 2010

Greatest Hits.

Comment

• worn
                        • Apr 2024

Put a coil spring inside a breather line for the oil mist to collect on and drain back rather than blowing out.

Comment

• Badassbrutus
                          • Sep 2009

Chopper headlights are tool buckets also put spare fuses,relays,tailight bulbs,plugs,and most of all doobies!

Comment

• Jetblack
                            • Apr 2024

Ran out of acetone and need some in a pinch? Raid your old ladies make up drawer; nail polish remover is usually 100% acetone.

Just remembered this one too. Out in the middle of nowhere low on gas or out of it and stations are closed? There's still going to be a small amount of gas left in the hoses, because it doesn't get pumped backwards. Find a jug and drain the left overs out of the hoses, usually out of a 4 pump station you can manage about a quart or better.

Comment

• hobart
                              • Apr 2024

a fouled plug or flooded engine can usually be started by pulling the boot off the plug about 1/4 inch. booster gap is my friend.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;