CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Hard tail, wheel and front end combo selection

Hey guys

Thought I'd start a thread on who's got some good and not so good combination recommendations (and photos if possible) for anyone who's looking at putting a hard tail, new front end and new wheel configuration on their bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey,
    Now you now the differance between CC and JJ. Much less stressfull on this side.

MRB

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MRB View Post
    Hey,
    Now you now the differance between CC and JJ. Much less stressfull on this side.

MRB
    HAHA ohh duuude!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Saw you question and the flack you took for it over there.
    I tried to find out all I could before I bought my hard tail. I have 4" stretch 2 1/2 " drop factory metal works tail. Exactly the stance I was looking for. The front end is a stock prewar Triumph girder. Wheels are 18 rear 19 front. Tires are 4.5 wide rear, 4 front firestones. Seat has 2" high springs . All this matters to get the correct look and stance. Get it right and your half way to a great looking bike.

Welcome to the Site.
    Last edited by RetroRob; 08-19-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRob View Post
    Saw you question and the flack you took for it over there.
    I tried to find out all I could before I bought my hard tail. I have 4" stretch 2 1/2 " drop factory metal works tail. Exactly the stance I was looking for. The front end is a stock prewar Triumph girder. Wheels are 18 rear 19 front. Tires are 4.5 wide rear, 4 front firestones. Seat has 2" high springs . All this matters to get the correct look and stance. Get it right and your half way to a great looking bike.

Welcome to the Site.
    yeah its all good, you gotta be prepared to cop flack for anything over the internet.
    Although that isn't the direction i want to head with this bike, that is such a nice build brother! how does a bike like this feel to ride?
    thanks a lot!

Get Adobe Flash player

This thread should have more contribution to it, I feel... Could be such a good library for those looking to build, yet are having issues figuring out how to get that stance they're looking for... Myself included.

Get Adobe Flash player

im with Retrorob, stance is the most important aspect of buid IMO . My Trump has a 6 inch stretch 16 rear 19 front ,not sure of drop in hardtail Front end dropped about 3 inches. I just stopped at Lucas's shop at TFMW ,having him build me a 4 inch stretch 3 in drop . Just want to change things up a bit .

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok I've got a stock '63 front loop de-tabbed a bit. W/a hardtail section found on the roof of an old Ducati shop in SD, didn't measure the swingarm so Idk the stretch/drop. W a 16 it was like three inches from the ground. Put an 18r/19f and the trees are from a intruder? Legs from a Honda? Wheels from Suzuki. This defames it about two degrees. Almost too nimble, but works well w/ narrow bars. And that 18 mag gives her some much needed ground clearance. Oh yea, and I cut the triangle axle plates to weld in ex softail ones. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375326385.486657.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	41750

Get Adobe Flash player

I have had the most trouble with this current build and I still don't like it, but it's more of what I have to use than what I can just outright buy because I'm not keeping this anyway. But anyway it's sort of sitting how I want it. I really need a different rear tire to balance it out. But the specs are Santee frame with what seems to be a 5 plus stretch I don't know the drop off hand. I also have never had a DNA springer before but the guy I traded with says it was a -2. But those are most likely Harley specs.. front wheel is a 19 off an fx with a 4.0 NOS yokohama which I absolutely wanted to use for this build but it's what is making it difficult to look right to me at the same time. 16 rear with what I think is a 3.5 but it definitely needs a beefier threaded 5.0 to make it "work"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 76new.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Default JJ Refugee Too

HaHa I'm on JJ too but haven't had any bad experiences there yet. I too am struggling with the look for my 70 650 chop. I have a TFMW hardtail that has a 5" stretch and 0 Drop. I installed it and it just isn't getting it for me. Now I'm wondering about maybe a 4" with 1.5" Drop or maybe a 3" stretch with a similar drop. I'm running a 18 rear tire, 39mm XL forks, and a 21" up front. I'd like good ground clearance and a hardtail that follows the angle of the Triumph backbone.

PS Its wild how Fightclubs 6" hardtail looks soo much longer than RetroRobs 4" stretch.. ?????

Get Adobe Flash player

I've always felt that 4 over 2 down is the standard hard tail configuration,

I never liked all the blank area behind the engine on a 6" stretch hard tail especially if you go with a "no battery" setup.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post

I never liked all the blank area behind the engine on a 6" stretch hard tail especially if you go with a "no battery" setup.
    yea i have a luggage compartment on mine up there

Get Adobe Flash player

Those first two sicles are the foundation imo. Retro's is just Nuts, Thats one fine looking machine.
    Subscribed

Dan

Get Adobe Flash player

This thread should be brought back to life...

Get Adobe Flash player

This is my last mock up. As Tony said , after running the 6" stretch with no battery I got tired of the big gap between my vertical oil tank and rear fender. Well one things always leads to another so I went from a 16 to an18 rear and will be running a 21spoolf ront wheel. As soon as I get new axlem archived I will post with the 21. Mounted You can see already a drastic difference.

photo unnamed16_zpseac5a7be.jpg

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 4 stretch and 2 drop gives you leg and nut room

Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post

I concur with Tony. 4 - 2 for the same reasons. When a bike is too short it looks like a scooter, When it is too long, the void destroys the flow of the bike and it looks incomplete. You need 30 ibs of shit in a 30lb bag, not 50 in a 5 or 5 in a 50. That is why the 4 2 combo seems to be the most popular by far. The best looking bikes are level back to front. Too low and there is nowhere to put your legs, too high and there is nowhere to put your nuts.

Share This